Thai Forest Monasteries

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
truthseeker135

Re: Thai Forest Monasteries

Post by truthseeker135 »

bhante dhamma wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:21 am Hi upāsakā, I've been to three of those places, your question is regarding visas & ordination? Some things to consider
THank you Bhante. Can you provide details about your visits? What was the environment like? How was the teacher? Do you believe they fit the requirements for a suitable place to stay that you listed? Thank you again Bhante.
vudcnh

Post by vudcnh »

Truthseeker, did you visit any of these places? I have heard great things about all of them. Maybe you can give us a bit update about your ordination status?
Anumodana :namaste:
may.all.bliss

Post by may.all.bliss »

tamdrin wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:37 pm
truthseeker135 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:47 am
tamdrin wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:57 am I have been living in Chiang Mai for almost 6 years. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Sean
Cool! Do you have any experience with any of the teachers listed above? I think Wat Doi Pra Jow Don Luang is in Chiang Mai have you ever been there? Also, how is dealing with visa stuff in Thailand?

I think that is Ajahn Tong Daeng's monastery right? He is he #1 student of the recently deceased Phra Ajahn Plien. I have great respect for Phra Ajahn Plien as I have met him and read his biography and learned about how hard and well he practiced. I have been there but have never stayed there. Ajahn Tong Daeng has a good reputation. There are also other temples in Chiang Mai, Chiang Dao, Chiang Rai. As you know temples are everywhere in Thailand. I know one Australian who is a monk and his main teacher is here in Chiang Mai. It is dhammayut tradition. I think the Ajahn is quite good but the temple is in the city so not optimal for meditation.

I have heard good things about Ajahn Anan and I think he has western monks staying at his temple although it may be competitive to get in there. There is also Ajahn Suchart in Pattaya.

As for the visa, it's getting more complicated for foreigners in general. I have had tourist visas, student visas, and a couple of work visas. Now I am starting a job teaching here so I'm back on the work visa. What country are you from? I'm American and I got a multiple entry tourist visa a couple of times at the Thai embassy in New York. That was good for 9 months when played properly. Of course, if you are a monk you will get a monks visa. In the meantime you will have to rely on doing visa runs to Laos after your 3 months is up. They are frowning on this, but it's doable if you don't have too many visas in your passport. I think, technically, people are allowed 6 months in Thailand per calendar year.

Send me a P.M. if I can be of any more assistance!
-Sean
Cool Sean. What monastery is the Australian main teacher at in Chiang Mai?
Learnersimple311

Post by Learnersimple311 »

truthseeker135 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:29 pm Recently I have received a list of some dhammayut forest monasteries in thailand. Does anyone know anything about these monasteries and teachers. Wat Pah Sala Noi(Ajahn Nipon), Wat Pah Na Kam Noi( Ajahn Inthawai), Wat Pah Khao Yai Nyanasampanno( Ajahn Uthai), Wat Doi Pra Jow Don Luang( Ajahn Toengdang), and finally Wat Tum Sahai( Ajahn Junrian). Thank you all for the time and help. I also have the addresses if anyone is interested PM me.

Please update and share your experiences after you have visit.
I'm looking for a suitable place too.
Learnersimple311

Post by Learnersimple311 »

truthseeker135 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:29 pm Recently I have received a list of some dhammayut forest monasteries in thailand. Does anyone know anything about these monasteries and teachers. Wat Pah Sala Noi(Ajahn Nipon), Wat Pah Na Kam Noi( Ajahn Inthawai), Wat Pah Khao Yai Nyanasampanno( Ajahn Uthai), Wat Doi Pra Jow Don Luang( Ajahn Toengdang), and finally Wat Tum Sahai( Ajahn Junrian). Thank you all for the time and help. I also have the addresses if anyone is interested PM me.

Can I check with you, are there any accomodation for upasika(female lay devotees) provided nearby those forest monasteries?

Because it is very inconvenient or almost impossible for the devotees staying in the city Bangkok to travel back and forth everyday to spend time on retreats in the forest monasteries.
Is it possible for upasika to carry out their retreat in the forest monasteries for 1 week~1 month annually?
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Learnersimple311 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:36 pm Is it possible for upasika to carry out their retreat in the forest monasteries for 1 week~1 month annually?
Its not uncommon for bangkok based Thai people to travel to a forest monastery that they are supporting in the north east and stay for a few days or weeks.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

may.all.bliss wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:19 am
truthseeker135 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:47 am
Cool! Do you have any experience with any of the teachers listed above? I think Wat Doi Pra Jow Don Luang is in Chiang Mai have you ever been there? Also, how is dealing with visa stuff in Thailand?

I think that is Ajahn Tong Daeng's monastery right? He is he #1 student of the recently deceased Phra Ajahn Plien. I have great respect for Phra Ajahn Plien as I have met him and read his biography and learned about how hard and well he practiced. I have been there but have never stayed there. Ajahn Tong Daeng has a good reputation. There are also other temples in Chiang Mai, Chiang Dao, Chiang Rai. As you know temples are everywhere in Thailand. I know one Australian who is a monk and his main teacher is here in Chiang Mai. It is dhammayut tradition. I think the Ajahn is quite good but the temple is in the city so not optimal for meditation.

I have heard good things about Ajahn Anan and I think he has western monks staying at his temple although it may be competitive to get in there. There is also Ajahn Suchart in Pattaya.

As for the visa, it's getting more complicated for foreigners in general. I have had tourist visas, student visas, and a couple of work visas. Now I am starting a job teaching here so I'm back on the work visa. What country are you from? I'm American and I got a multiple entry tourist visa a couple of times at the Thai embassy in New York. That was good for 9 months when played properly. Of course, if you are a monk you will get a monks visa. In the meantime you will have to rely on doing visa runs to Laos after your 3 months is up. They are frowning on this, but it's doable if you don't have too many visas in your passport. I think, technically, people are allowed 6 months in Thailand per calendar year.

-Sean

That would be Wat Santitham right in downtown Chiang Mai. There is a beautiful relic museum there and a new stupa containing a buddha relic that was brought from Sri Lanka. Definitely worth a visit. And ask if you can meet Ajahn C Nawn. The abbot of the temple. He is well practiced.
may.all.bliss

Post by may.all.bliss »

tamdrin wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:15 am
may.all.bliss wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:19 am

-Sean

That would be Wat Santitham right in downtown Chiang Mai. There is a beautiful relic museum there and a new stupa containing a buddha relic that was brought from Sri Lanka. Definitely worth a visit. And ask if you can meet Ajahn C Nawn. The abbot of the temple. He is well practiced.
Awesome, thanks