Gay and Buddhism

Some topics tend to get heated and go off track in unwholesome ways quite quickly. The "hot topics" sub-forum is a place where such topics may be moved so that each post must be manually approved by moderator before it will become visible to members.
Coëmgenu

Re: Gay and Buddhism

Post by Coëmgenu »

Cause_and_Effect wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:19 amit's true that the active one (ie who maintaines a penetrative role) is still in the role of a man and capable of attraction females.
As an "active one," I would say it's more an issue of "can make do with" rather than "is capable of attraction to."
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Ceisiwr wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:33 pm
Asittakapandaka - A man who gains satisfaction from performing oral sex on another man and from ingesting his semen, and only becomes sexually aroused after ingesting another man's semen.
Blimey! Arousal only after ingestion! So up to that point, it's just duty or idle curiosity! There could be millions in that category, who just haven't given it a try. :jumping:
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Sam Vara wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:52 pm
Ceisiwr wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:33 pm
Asittakapandaka - A man who gains satisfaction from performing oral sex on another man and from ingesting his semen, and only becomes sexually aroused after ingesting another man's semen.
Blimey! Arousal only after ingestion! So up to that point, it's just duty or idle curiosity! There could be millions in that category, who just haven't given it a try. :jumping:
:jumping:
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Cause_and_Effect

Post by Cause_and_Effect »

Coëmgenu wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:45 pm
Cause_and_Effect wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:19 amit's true that the active one (ie who maintaines a penetrative role) is still in the role of a man and capable of attraction females.
As an "active one," I would say it's more an issue of "can make do with" rather than "is capable of attraction to."
Then you are effectively bisexual but without taking the 'female' role it seems in you male-male shenanigans.
Sexual orientation is a spectrum I suppose and why defining it is not always easy. Imagine trying to form the sangha rules in these woke times it would have been a nightmare.

Ceisiwr wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:33 pm ~
Yes, I saw the original post and including the graphic vulgar descriptions and was hoping you wouldn't post it again. Unfortunately you took the opportunity to do so but I don't know which commentary that is from and it's certainly not an authoritative categorization.
If the prohibition against homosexuals is to protect the celibacy vows then it would make little sense for them to ordain. It would no longer be 'the most conducive environment for awakening' for that individual. Regular visits to monastaries, taking long retreats for 2-3 months where possible and otherwise living a more solitary life with engagement with dhamma would seem to be a more efficient means of making progress rather than being in an environment hanging around with and sleeping in the vicinity of other men.
"Therein monks, that Dimension should be known wherein the eye ceases and the perception of forms fades away...the ear... the nose...the tongue... the body ceases and the perception of touch fades away...

That Dimension should be known wherein mentality ceases and the perception of mind-objects fades away.
That Dimension should be known; that Dimension should be known."

(S. IV. 98) - The Dimension beyond the All
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Cause_and_Effect wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:33 am

Yes, I saw the original post and including the graphic vulgar descriptions and was hoping you wouldn't post it again. Unfortunately you took the opportunity to do so but I don't know which commentary that is from and it's certainly not an authoritative categorization.
I can’t at the moment remember which commentarial text it is from, but since it is from the commentaries it is treated as authoritative for Theravada.
If the prohibition against homosexuals is to protect the celibacy vows then it would make little sense for them to ordain.

That wasn’t why the rule against pandakas was brought in. It was to protect the reputation of the sangha. It’s also not against homosexuality, but overly non-gender conforming behaviour.
It would no longer be 'the most conducive environment for awakening' for that individual. Regular visits to monastaries, taking long retreats for 2-3 months where possible and otherwise living a more solitary life with engagement with dhamma would seem to be a more efficient means of making progress rather than being in an environment hanging around with and sleeping in the vicinity of other men.
Thanks for the advice but I’m inclined to disagree.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

Cause_and_Effect wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:33 am
Coëmgenu wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:45 pm
Then you are effectively bisexual but without taking the 'female' role it seems in you male-male shenanigans.
I deferred to "can make do with" as opposed to "is capable of attraction to." I wouldn't quite call that "bisexual." One "can make do with" one's hand. That neither makes one a "handosexual" nor does it make "one who is bisexual for both hands and women."
Last edited by Coëmgenu on Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

I don't hate LGBTQ, but I don't support either.

And it has nothing to do with Buddhism.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
User13866

Post by User13866 »

Ceisiwr wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:44 pm Interestingly I’ve found this on the potential meaning of pandaka in the Atharva Veda, although I’m still searching through the Veda to verify it.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=aK0 ... aka&f=true
I guess we need not look further, good find.
Last edited by User13866 on Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.