Gami47

How to deal with laziness?

Post by Gami47 »

Thanks for the responses!! :anjali:
SteRo

Re: How to deal with laziness?

Post by SteRo »

Gami47 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:41 pm Thanks for the responses!! :anjali:
Laziness is a problem if there is something that needs to be done but isn't done due to laziness. Laziness isn't a problem if there is nothing that needs to be done.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
User13866

Post by User13866 »

Don't be lazy google laziness+sutta
Monks, there are these eight grounds for laziness. Which eight?

"There is the case where a monk has some work to do. The thought occurs to him: 'I will have to do this work. But when I have done this work, my body will be tired. Why don't I lie down?' So he lies down. He doesn't make an effort for the attaining of the as-yet-unattained, the reaching of the as-yet-unreached, the realization of the as-yet-unrealized. This is the first grounds for laziness.

"Then there is the case where a monk has done some work. The thought occurs to him: 'I have done some work. Now that I have done work, my body is tired. Why don't I lie down?' So he lies down. He doesn't make an effort for the attaining of the as-yet-unattained, the reaching of the as-yet-unreached, the realization of the as-yet-unrealized. This is the second grounds for laziness.

"Then there is the case where a monk has to go on a journey. The thought occurs to him: 'I will have to go on this journey. But when I have gone on the journey, my body will be tired. Why don't I lie down?' So he lies down. He doesn't make an effort for the attaining of the as-yet-unattained, the reaching of the as-yet-unreached, the realization of the as-yet-unrealized. This is the third grounds for laziness.

"Then there is the case where a monk has gone on a journey. The thought occurs to him: 'I have gone on a journey. Now that I have gone on a journey, my body is tired. Why don't I lie down?' So he lies down. He doesn't make an effort for the attaining of the as-yet-unattained, the reaching of the as-yet-unreached, the realization of the as-yet-unrealized. This is the fourth grounds for laziness.

"Then there is the case where a monk, having gone for alms in a village or town, does not get as much coarse or refined food as he needs to fill himself up. The thought occurs to him: 'I, having gone for alms in a village or town, have not gotten as much coarse or refined food as I need to fill myself up. This body of mine is tired & unsuitable for work. Why don't I lie down?' So he lies down. He doesn't make an effort for the attaining of the as-yet-unattained, the reaching of the as-yet-unreached, the realization of the as-yet-unrealized. This is the fifth grounds for laziness.

"Then there is the case where a monk, having gone for alms in a village or town, does get as much coarse or refined food as he needs to fill himself up. The thought occurs to him: 'I, having gone for alms in a village or town, have gotten as much coarse or refined food as I need to fill myself up. This body of mine is heavy & unsuitable for work, as if I were many months pregnant. Why don't I lie down?' So he lies down. He doesn't make an effort for the attaining of the as-yet-unattained, the reaching of the as-yet-unreached, the realization of the as-yet-unrealized. This is the sixth grounds for laziness.

"Then there is the case where a monk comes down with a slight illness. The thought occurs to him: 'I have come down with a slight illness. There's a need to lie down.' So he lies down. He doesn't make an effort for the attaining of the as-yet-unattained, the reaching of the as-yet-unreached, the realization of the as-yet-unrealized. This is the seventh grounds for laziness.

"Then there is the case where a monk has recovered from his illness, not long after his recovery. The thought occurs to him: 'I have recovered from my illness. It's not long after my recovery. This body of mine is weak & unsuitable for work. Why don't I lie down?' So he lies down. He doesn't make an effort for the attaining of the as-yet-unattained, the reaching of the as-yet-unreached, the realization of the as-yet-unrealized. This is the eighth grounds for laziness.

"These are the eight grounds for laziness.

"There are these eight grounds for the arousal of energy. Which eight?

"There is the case where a monk has some work to do. The thought occurs to him: 'I will have to do this work. But when I am doing this work, it will not be easy to attend to the Buddha's message. Why don't I make an effort beforehand for the attaining of the as-yet-unattained, the reaching of the as-yet-unreached, the realization of the as-yet-unrealized?' So he makes an effort for the attaining of the as-yet-unattained, the reaching of the as-yet-unreached, the realization of the as-yet-unrealized. This is the first grounds for the arousal of energy.

"Then there is the case where a monk has done some work. The thought occurs to him: 'I have done some work. While I was doing work, I couldn't attend to the Buddha's message. Why don't I make an effort for the attaining of the as-yet-unattained, the reaching of the as-yet-unreached, the realization of the as-yet-unrealized?' So he makes an effort for the attaining of the as-yet-unattained, the reaching of the as-yet-unreached, the realization of the as-yet-unrealized. This is the second grounds for the arousal of energy.

"Then there is the case where a monk has to go on a journey. The thought occurs to him: 'I will have to go on this journey. But when I am going on the journey, it will not be easy to attend to the Buddha's message. Why don't I make an effort beforehand for the attaining of the as-yet-unattained, the reaching of the as-yet-unreached, the realization of the as-yet-unrealized?' So he makes an effort for the attaining of the as-yet-unattained, the reaching of the as-yet-unreached, the realization of the as-yet-unrealized. This is the third grounds for the arousal of energy.

"Then there is the case where a monk has gone on a journey. The thought occurs to him: 'I have gone on a journey. While I was going on the journey, I couldn't attend to the Buddha's message. Why don't I make an effort for the attaining of the as-yet-unattained, the reaching of the as-yet-unreached, the realization of the as-yet-unrealized?' So he makes an effort for the attaining of the as-yet-unattained, the reaching of the as-yet-unreached, the realization of the as-yet-unrealized. This is the fourth grounds for the arousal of energy.

"Then there is the case where a monk, having gone for alms in a village or town, does not get as much coarse or refined food as he needs to fill himself up. The thought occurs to him: 'I, having gone for alms in a village or town, have not gotten as much coarse or refined food as I need to fill myself up. This body of mine is light & suitable for work. Why don't I make an effort for the attaining of the as-yet-unattained, the reaching of the as-yet-unreached, the realization of the as-yet-unrealized?' So he makes an effort for the attaining of the as-yet-unattained, the reaching of the as-yet-unreached, the realization of the as-yet-unrealized. This is the fifth grounds for the arousal of energy.

"Then there is the case where a monk, having gone for alms in a village or town, does get as much coarse or refined food as he needs to fill himself up. The thought occurs to him: 'I, having gone for alms in a village or town, have gotten as much coarse or refined food as I need to fill myself up. This body of mine is light & suitable for work. Why don't I make an effort for the attaining of the as-yet-unattained, the reaching of the as-yet-unreached, the realization of the as-yet-unrealized?'[1] So he makes an effort for the attaining of the as-yet-unattained, the reaching of the as-yet-unreached, the realization of the as-yet-unrealized. This is the sixth grounds for the arousal of energy.

"Then there is the case where a monk comes down with a slight illness. The thought occurs to him: 'I have come down with a slight illness. Now, there's the possibility that it could get worse. Why don't I make an effort beforehand for the attaining of the as-yet-unattained, the reaching of the as-yet-unreached, the realization of the as-yet-unrealized?' So he makes an effort for the attaining of the as-yet-unattained, the reaching of the as-yet-unreached, the realization of the as-yet-unrealized. This is the seventh grounds for the arousal of energy.

"Then there is the case where a monk has recovered from his illness, not long after his recovery. The thought occurs to him: 'I have recovered from my illness. It's not long after my recovery. Now, there's the possibility that the illness could come back. Why don't I make an effort beforehand for the attaining of the as-yet-unattained, the reaching of the as-yet-unreached, the realization of the as-yet-unrealized?' So he makes an effort for the attaining of the as-yet-unattained, the reaching of the as-yet-unreached, the realization of the as-yet-unrealized. This is the eighth grounds for the arousal of energy.

"These are the eight grounds for the arousal of energy."
An8.80
Last edited by User13866 on Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NotMe

Post by NotMe »

:rofl:

Priceless post. Well worth the price of admission!

Metta

:anjali:
Jack19990101

Post by Jack19990101 »

Typing longer post with more words.
form

Post by form »

Gami47 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:41 pm Thanks for the responses!! :anjali:
According to the sutta, you need to visualise a ball of bright light.

According to modern psychology, you need to look into your motivation factors.

According to a physiologist, you need to go for a full body check up.
Bodhidhamma

Post by Bodhidhamma »

Increase your desire (chanda).
Rakkhantu sabba-devatā.
May all the devas protect you.
form

Post by form »

Bodhidhamma wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:56 am Increase your desire (chanda).
You brought up something from the sutta that I ever understand till now. What do you mean by increasing desire? Do you mean increasing determination?
Alino

Post by Alino »

Two things that can give you physical energy are :
- don't over sleep (wake up in early morning in preference)
- don't over eat
They drench a lot of physical energy.

The thing to can give you mental energy (for the practice) is:
- (your soon) death contemplation / shortness of hihiman man life

There are of coarse other things, but these ones are classical ones.
We don't live Samsara, Samsara is living us...

"Form, feelings, perceptions, formations, consciousness - don't care about us, we don't exist for them"
Bodhidhamma

Post by Bodhidhamma »

form wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:11 am
You brought up something from the sutta that I ever understand till now. What do you mean by increasing desire? Do you mean increasing determination?
Desire is more like the foundation, the basis, for determination. Desire is wishing, wanting, willing. Determination arises later, when one's desire encounters various obstacles: determination is the desire to overcome those obstacles. But the pure wanting, wishing, desiring must be there first, before you know about any potential problems or issues that might arise.
Rakkhantu sabba-devatā.
NotMe

Post by NotMe »

Jack19990101 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:51 am Typing longer post with more words.
Yes
form

Post by form »

Bodhidhamma wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:52 am
Desire is more like the foundation, the basis, for determination. Desire is wishing, wanting, willing. Determination arises later, when one's desire encounters various obstacles: determination is the desire to overcome those obstacles. But the pure wanting, wishing, desiring must be there first, before you know about any potential problems or issues that might arise.
I read from the sutta that the success in meditation depends on the balancing of three factors. Desire, mindfulness and concentration. Too much desire cause restlessness, too much concentration cause sleepiness, and too much mindfulness will result in no progress. It seems to me that these three factors coincide with right effort, right mindfulness and right concentration. So I always the desire in this case is right effort. What is your opinion on this?

In some places in the sutta, there are passage where a person that successfully attain fourth Jhana, wish this and that to perform psychic feats or even attains enlightenment. Are these the desires you talk about?
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

Laziness is relevant to goal-oriented activities, which differentiates it from leisure. It is usually triggered by perceiving the task in hand as a burdensome, or endless or meaningless or imposed on one by an external party without genuine desire or conviction in its necessity. As such, it is often associated with procrastination, especially when the consequences of deferring the task is seen as something that one can live with. It has restlessness as its shadow, where time and energy are considered as scarce commodities.

In worldly affairs, lack of passion is designated as the main cause for laziness. In spiritual circles, seeing danger or spiritual urgency (Samvega) becomes a driver of action.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

If u have reward based result, then u do the thong
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Bodhidhamma

Post by Bodhidhamma »

form wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:41 am
Bodhidhamma wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:52 am

I read from the sutta that the success in meditation depends on the balancing of three factors. Desire, mindfulness and concentration. Too much desire cause restlessness, too much concentration cause sleepiness, and too much mindfulness will result in no progress. It seems to me that these three factors coincide with right effort, right mindfulness and right concentration. So I always the desire in this case is right effort. What is your opinion on this?
Desire is one of the essential parts of right effort. Desire would be a psychological state. Effort would be the result of the psychological state.
In some places in the sutta, there are passage where a person that successfully attain fourth Jhana, wish this and that to perform psychic feats or even attains enlightenment. Are these the desires you talk about?
Desire can be directed towards any goal, whether physical, emotional, mental, spiritual (psychic powers), or final awakening.
Rakkhantu sabba-devatā.