The orders

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
thepea

The orders

Post by thepea »

What is the difference between a bhikku(monk) and a bhikkuni(nun)?
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: The orders

Post by Sam Vara »

thepea

Post by thepea »

So biological sex is the difference.
Thanks
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

The nuns have more rules than the monks too.
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

thepea wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:21 pm So biological sex is the difference.
Yes, I don't think there was any concept of gender identification 2500 years ago and as with public toilets and competitive sport I think it would be problematic to implement in a monastery.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
thepea

Post by thepea »

Goofaholix wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:10 pm
thepea wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:21 pm So biological sex is the difference.
Yes, I don't think there was any concept of gender identification 2500 years ago and as with public toilets and competitive sport I think it would be problematic to implement in a monastery.
Yes, I can’t find a Pali word for gender.
But given oxfords dictionary definition: gen·der
/ˈjendər/
Learn to pronounce
noun
either of the two sexes (male and female), especially when considered with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones. The term is also used more broadly to denote a range of identities that do not correspond to established ideas of male and female.
"a condition that affects people of both genders"

Given the use of word “established” I would argue that at buddhas time there were two accepted genders and ones genitals denoted identity for ordination.
NotMe

Post by NotMe »

thepea wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:01 pm Given the use of word “established” I would argue that at buddhas time there were two accepted genders and ones genitals denoted identity for ordination.
What? The Buddha began ordinations for those who have no genitals. Are you out of your mind? <grin>

Metta

:anjali:
Last edited by NotMe on Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thepea

Post by thepea »

NotMe wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:12 pm
thepea wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:01 pm Given the use of word “established” I would argue that at buddhas time there were two accepted genders and ones genitals denoted identity for ordination.
What? The Buddha began ordinations for those who have no genitals. Are you out of your mind? <grin>

Metta

I thought one of his question to ordain was, “are you human?” Humans have male or female genitals. There are very rare cases where an infant can initially appear to be born without genitals or with both but only one will function.
bpallister

Post by bpallister »

what about the other 29 genders? :stirthepot:
NotMe

Post by NotMe »

thepea wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:58 am

Metta

I thought one of his question to ordain was, “are you human?” Humans have male or female genitals. There are very rare cases where an infant can initially appear to be born without genitals or with both but only one will function.
I lose my mind every now and then. I was thinking of when he presented the Abhidhamma to the higher planes of existence.

Were any eunuchs in the canon ever ordained?

Metta

thepea

Post by thepea »

NotMe wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:24 pm
thepea wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:58 am

Metta

I lose my mind every now and then. I was thinking of when he presented the Abhidhamma to the higher planes of existence.

Were any eunuchs in the canon ever ordained?

Metta

I don’t know but they would have been born a male or female and if they ordained I think it would be according to that. Genetalia has nothing to do with the practice.
Other than attracting others.