Are women evil?

Some topics tend to get heated and go off track in unwholesome ways quite quickly. The "hot topics" sub-forum is a place where such topics may be moved so that each post must be manually approved by moderator before it will become visible to members.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: Are women evil?

Post by Sam Vara »

thepea wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:49 pm Could someone define woman so we can be clear as to what is a woman vs a man.
Is there anywhere in the thread where the lack of a definition has compromised the discussion?
thepea

Post by thepea »

Sam Vara wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:53 pm
thepea wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:49 pm Could someone define woman so we can be clear as to what is a woman vs a man.
Is there anywhere in the thread where the lack of a definition has compromised the discussion?
Are we talking about women, those with a womb who can consent(suffer) by aborting their pregnancy?
Or the ones with male parts?
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

thepea wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:13 pm Are we talking about women, those with a womb
womben
thepea

Post by thepea »

cappuccino wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:40 pm
thepea wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:13 pm Are we talking about women, those with a womb
womben
I cannot find a definition for that.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

thepea wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:54 pm I cannot find a definition for that.
they cannot find Eldorado
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Dan74 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:03 am People have always projected their issues onto others. It's not my lust, it's the women trying to seduce me with their charms. They are the lustful ones.
Yes, and this mysoginistic "victim blaming" is prevalent in patriarchal religions, particularly the Abrahamic traditions.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Dave Allen on Adam and Eve

BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
User13866

Post by User13866 »

15. “He understands: ‘It is impossible, it cannot happen that a woman could be an Accomplished One, a Fully Enlightened One ― there is no such possibility.’ And he understands: ‘It is possible that a man might be an Accomplished One, a Fully Enlightened One ― there is such a possibility.’ He understands: ‘It is impossible, it cannot happen that a woman could be a Wheel-turning Monarch...that a woman could occupy the position of Sakka...that a woman could occupy the position of Māra...that a woman could occupy the position of Brahmā ― there is no such possibility.’ And he understands: ‘It is possible that a man might be a Wheel-turning Monarch...that a man might occupy the position of Sakka...that a man might occupy the position of Māra...that a man might occupy the position of Brahmā ― there is such a possibility.’
mn115
“Ānanda, if females had not gained the going forth from the lay life to homelessness in the teaching and training proclaimed by the Realized One, the spiritual life would have lasted long. The true teaching would have remained for a thousand years. But since they have gained the going forth, now the spiritual life will not last long. The true teaching will remain only five hundred years.

It’s like those families with many women and few men. They’re easy prey for bandits and thieves. In the same way, the spiritual life does not last long in a teaching and training where females gain the going forth.

It’s like a field full of rice. Once the disease called ‘white bones’ attacks, it doesn’t last long. In the same way, the spiritual life does not last long in a teaching and training where females gain the going forth.

It’s like a field full of sugar cane. Once the disease called ‘red rot’ attacks, it doesn’t last long. In the same way, the spiritual life does not last long in a teaching and training where females gain the going forth.

As a man might build a dyke around a large lake as a precaution against the water overflowing, in the same way as a precaution I’ve prescribed the eight principles of respect as not to be transgressed so long as life lasts.”
an8.51
Last edited by User13866 on Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
User13866

Post by User13866 »

Ask you parents about where children come from, i think you might be old enough
thepea

Post by thepea »

User13866 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:41 am
Are you saying a woman has a womb?
If the question is are women evil, we should really clearly define what it is we are talking about.
Is the difference the reproductive organs?
Or the feminine vs masculine traits?
If the latter I would argue that both men and women are capable of similar masculine and feminine personality traits.
NAD

Post by NAD »

When I was growing up it used to be:
Man - Penis
Woman - Vagina

But who knows these days :shrug:
User13866

Post by User13866 »

thepea wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:44 am
User13866 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:41 am
Are you saying a woman has a womb?
If the question is are women evil, we should really clearly define what it is we are talking about.
Is the difference the reproductive organs?
Or the feminine vs masculine traits?
If the latter I would argue that both men and women are capable of similar masculine and feminine personality traits.
I am saying that the making of a baby requires not just any two humans who identify as whatnot but a specific pair.

We say that it requires a "union" of a mother in season, a father and gandhabba.

The mother here needs to be not just any human called 'a mother' but one with a specific reproductive system, such as a womb, needs to be of a child-bearing age and furthermore in season (first half of the month).

This is analogous to reproduction of say dogs. There is then a union between what we call a bitch in season, an unneutered male and a gandhabba.

The bitch here stands for the female sex, one who will be bearing, giving birth and nursing the litter, a mother.

A bitch without a womb is still a bitch, a bitch not in season is still a bitch, a bitch not of age is still a bitch, a bitch referred to as a 'he' is still a bitch, a bitch who is give the name 'male' is still a bitch.

This is where the term "woman" originates. It is denoting the female sex.

Can i isolate this 'womanhood' for you? Can i distill it from a female, put it in a jar and say 'This is it! Here is 100% pure womanhood and anyone posessing this womanhood is 'a woman'?

I can do that no more than i can isolate the constituents of 'justice' or 'fairness' or 'a chariot' or 'a human'.

Like why is a dog not a human?

Is it the head hair that makes a human, is it the body hair, is it this or that genetic material? "Humanity" has no atomic weight but you wouldn't argue that it doesn't exist now would you?

Not being able to show you the essence of humanity is not my deficiency, this is you asking to go beyond the limitation of words.

I can only explain words with words, i can't go beyond that and it's not my deficiency, it is an impossible proposition.

Whether a woman is evil is a silly question.

If we make a bell curve superimposing the qualities of the sexes we will get some meaningful representation of the differences and we can discuss that.

For example you will see that the most feminine people are females like you will see that the strongest are males but you will also see that some women are stronger than some males and that some males are more feminine than females.
Last edited by User13866 on Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Despite my earlier rhetorical question regarding how the definition of a woman has affected the responses in this thread, we have now drifted away from the issue outlined in the OP, and the thread will be locked.

Please could posters refrain from hijacking any more threads with their current preoccupations? Thanks.