What is sense restraint?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
PeterC86

Re: What is sense restraint?

Post by PeterC86 »

SarathW wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:27 pm Thank you Peter.
It appears that sense-restraint is practiced on many different levels from the layperson to the Arahant.
Everyone eats, but only a few eat healthy, although almost everyone believes that they eat healthy. ;)
thepea

Post by thepea »

It appears that sense-restraint is practiced on many different levels from the layperson to the Arahant.
What would arahant need to restrain?
NotMe

Post by NotMe »

thepea wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:32 pm
For starters, Mara does not worry about capturing the will of worldlings, they are well within his grasp. Mara pursued the Buddha, and anyone about to breach his fortress of the three marks of existence. Not that a relapse is possible for Arahant, they restrain the actions of Mara by observing and calling him out.

When I am an Arahant, I'l get back in touch and fill in more of what the world does to try to disrupt those remaining embers.

In a way, awakening may be like a sword that you still have to swing - maybe - you still have restrain the garbage that tries to cover the path that others still seek to traverse? Idle chatter?

Metta

:anjali:
thepea

Post by thepea »

NotMe wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:00 pm
thepea wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:32 pm
For starters, Mara does not worry about capturing the will of worldlings, they are well within his grasp. Mara pursued the Buddha, and anyone about to breach his fortress of the three marks of existence. Not that a relapse is possible for Arahant, they restrain the actions of Mara by observing and calling him out.

When I am an Arahant, I'l get back in touch and fill in more of what the world does to try to disrupt those remaining embers.

In a way, awakening may be like a sword that you still have to swing - maybe - you still have restrain the garbage that tries to cover the path that others still seek to traverse? Idle chatter?

Metta

Restrain is stress. I only know of one teaching that involves stress. When to press your tongue to upper plate and grit ones teeth to aid in the passing of a meditative storm(big sankhara coming to surface). The arahant has none of this, should be nothing to restrain.
NotMe

Post by NotMe »

thepea wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:11 pm Restrain is stress. I only know of one teaching that involves stress. When to press your tongue to upper plate and grit ones teeth to aid in the passing of a meditative storm(big sankhara coming to surface). The arahant has none of this, should be nothing to restrain.
Would Dhamma talks function to restrain the spread of further blemishes to ones kamma? No stress in restraint there . Just one, many examples could follow.

Metta

edit to add: restrain the listeners bad kamma potential.
Tl21G3lVl

Post by Tl21G3lVl »

I have heard that on one occasion the Blessed One was living among the Sumbhas. Now there is a Sumbhan town named Sedaka. There the Blessed One addressed the monks, "Monks!"

"Yes, lord," the monks responded.

The Blessed One said, "Suppose, monks, that a large crowd of people comes thronging together, saying, 'The beauty queen! The beauty queen!' And suppose that the beauty queen is highly accomplished at singing & dancing, so that an even greater crowd comes thronging, saying, 'The beauty queen is singing! The beauty queen is dancing!' Then a man comes along, desiring life & shrinking from death, desiring pleasure & abhorring pain. They say to him, 'Now look here, mister. You must take this bowl filled to the brim with oil and carry it on your head in between the great crowd & the beauty queen. A man with a raised sword will follow right behind you, and wherever you spill even a drop of oil, right there will he cut off your head.' Now what do you think, monks: Will that man, not paying attention to the bowl of oil, let himself get distracted outside?"

"No, lord."

"I have given you this parable to convey a meaning. The meaning is this: The bowl filled to the brim with oil stands for mindfulness immersed in the body. Thus you should train yourselves: 'We will develop mindfulness immersed in the body. We will pursue it, hand it the reins and take it as a basis, give it a grounding, steady it, consolidate it, and undertake it well.' That is how you should train yourselves."

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
befriend

Post by befriend »

As of two days ago when I'm driving around town I decided to stop checking out women, after two days of this I felt a bright strong feeling in my spine from practicing this type of renunciation i enjoyed the feeling of sense restraint. It feels better than checking out women.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.