How would a fully immersive virtual reality aid the buddhist sangha?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Panegalli

How would a fully immersive virtual reality aid the buddhist sangha?

Post by Panegalli »

I wonder what you guys think of that. Would a fully immersive vr be a good thing for the buddhist community? Could you be mindful and practice meditation while in some sort of simulation? Would it make the buddhist sangha stronger?
bpallister

Re: How would a fully immersive virtual reality aid the buddhist sangha?

Post by bpallister »

I don't think so as it would be a form of delusion. interested to hear some other perspectives tho. :anjali:
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

I can think of anything worthwhile that it would achieve.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

There are two kinds of concentration namely right concentration and wrong concentration.
In right concentration there are two methods namely Samatha and Vipassana.
Immersive virtual reality can be considered wrong Samatha.
To be right samatha you have to use a suitable meditation object such as Kasina.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
asahi

Post by asahi »

SarathW wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:22 am There are two kinds of concentration namely right concentration and wrong concentration.
In right concentration there are two methods namely Samatha and Vipassana.
Immersive virtual reality can be considered wrong Samatha.
To be right samatha you have to use a suitable meditation object such as Kasina.
Are you equating samadhi n samatha as the same ? Buddha didnt taught kasina as samma samadhi . :shrug:
No bashing No gossiping
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

The buddhist community is already living in a fully immersive virtual reality. Why add another on top? :sage:
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
NotMe

Post by NotMe »

SteRo wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:03 am The buddhist community is already living in a fully immersive virtual reality. Why add another on top? :sage:
That is priceless!

Metta

:anjali:

Edit to add: why didn’t I think of that? I’m old.
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

Create the technology first and people will find a use for it. I would imagine Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhists would find it easier to put virtual reality to good use because they tend to have more extensive visualizations and rituals. Even so, there are a lot of people who might like to take a virtual tour of the inside of a temple in Thailand to hear chanting and listen to teachings spoken in their own language. For inspiration.
keller

Post by keller »

Neoliberal transhumanism just has to shove its nose into everything doesn't it... no, it would not be of any help at all. Materialist, utilitarian metaphysics is spiritually bankrupt and is, in fact, part of the problem. The very notion that any technology could be of any help whatsoever to the development of liberating wisdom betrays a fundamentally distorted understanding of the holy life. I recommend the OP reevaluate their basic assumptions regarding the contemplative endeavor and begin treating their cultural conditioning and inherited set of fundamental assumptions with a greater amount of criticism and skepticism, if not outright hostility.

That recommendation is, of course, based on the assumption that you have a bad case of the mind-virus that is humanistic materialism, but this question is showing all the symptoms!
NotMe

Post by NotMe »

Might be kind of cool to see how they program that first glimpse of the deathless!

They could hook syringes to the vr unit to inject chemical stimulus of ‘that feeling’ for stream-entry …

Or not.

Metta

:anjali:
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Panegalli wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:33 pm I wonder what you guys think of that. Would a fully immersive vr be a good thing for the buddhist community? Could you be mindful and practice meditation while in some sort of simulation? Would it make the buddhist sangha stronger?
If you mean something like the "Second Life" website, then no, I don't think so, seems like a really weird idea!

:shrug:
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Humorous account of the Anglican church trying something similar.

https://www.churchtimes.co.uk/articles/ ... xified-fox

The author trained to be a priest alongside my wife, so we knew him quite well. He's gone on to write light-hearted books and articles about the Church. My guess is that it wouldn't work in Buddhism, either.
User13866

Post by User13866 »

Couldn't pay me enough to use it. Dealing with people online is horrible as it is without having to look at their avatars.
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

keller wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:44 pm !
I'd think virtual reality would be perfect for you. That way you can surround yourself with just people who agree with you.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Inedible wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:38 am
keller wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:44 pm !
I'd think virtual reality would be perfect for you. That way you can surround yourself with just people who agree with you.
What a good idea. :tongue:
Buddha save me from new-agers!