Sex is always unwholesome

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
bpallister

Re: Sex is always unwholesome

Post by bpallister »

cappuccino wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:12 am
bpallister wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:10 am what if i have pleasure in a dream?
You should want pleasure, since you’re a layperson

any old pleasure?
bpallister

Post by bpallister »

cappuccino wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:12 am
bpallister wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:10 am what if i have pleasure in a dream?
You should want pleasure, since you’re a layperson

but if i had pleausre in a dream, was there desire present?
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

bpallister wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:09 am in a dream, was there desire present?
Perhaps
santa100

Post by santa100 »

bpallister wrote:but if i had pleausre in a dream, was there desire present?
Having wet dreams is not an offense for both lay and monastics:
Vinaya wrote:Intentionally causing oneself to emit semen, or getting someone else to cause one to emit semen -- except during a dream -- is a sanghadisesa offense.
bpallister

Post by bpallister »

they have not been wet for a long time; i am old lol. :anjali:
StrivingforMonkhood

Post by StrivingforMonkhood »

May we all be free from the bonds and chains of sensuality.

May you all fulfill your deepest wish for happiness.

May you all be liberated from all suffering.

:anjali:
May we all fulfill our deepest wish for happiness

We are already Buddha
wenjaforever

Post by wenjaforever »

I think this is very misleading why not just say food are unwholesome because Brahmas fell this way when they're tempted to try food. Is this even canon? Adam and Eve fell because they ate the forbidden fruit, but no Brahmas fell because they ate. They simply ATE.
money is worthless toilet paper • the tongue has no bone (a person might say one thing but it cannot be further from the truth) • you cannot teach a goat math as in you cannot teach the dhamma to a dumb person
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

wenjaforever wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:57 am Brahmas fell because they ate.
because they indulged
wenjaforever

Post by wenjaforever »

StrivingforMonkhood wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:48 amMay we all be free from the bonds and chains of sensuality.

May you all fulfill your deepest wish for happiness.

May you all be liberated from all suffering.

What does your signature even mean? I think you don't even have the slightest understanding what the Buddha said. You're deluded in wrong view. Happiness is vanquished in the 4th jhana. Joy is vanquished in the 3rd jhana. A Buddha is an extroverted arahat who actually cares to share his wisdom. Happiness can be attained anywhere. Even in catumaharajika you never have to work, all your basic needs fulfilled and almost no conflict and violence. While the world will always be a place of competition. In tavatimsa you live like a king with a harem of 500 apsaras. You saying this is not happiness? In Yama heaven you can fly probably even possess other superpowers too. In tusita you are high on cocaine and heroin 24/7 all the time until the day you die, you don't even have time to think about girls anymore. In nimanarati you can control the overwhelming sensation of the previous realm and gain the ability to create things out of thin air with your mind alone. You're delusional.
money is worthless toilet paper • the tongue has no bone (a person might say one thing but it cannot be further from the truth) • you cannot teach a goat math as in you cannot teach the dhamma to a dumb person
Stephen010mt

Post by Stephen010mt »

There is nothing wrong with sex.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Stephen010mt wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:36 am There is nothing wrong with sex.
Where do I begin?.... 😝
Buddha save me from new-agers!
NotMe

Post by NotMe »

Stephen010mt wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:36 am There is nothing wrong with sex.
Ajaan Geoff and I were talking on the phone one day - a variety of subjects - and I asked him if I could scratch. He said sure you can!

Just a short while later he asked - I want to make sure I'm on the same page with you, What context did you ask about scratching? I replied the Dhammatalk he had posted about mosquitoes, flys, and meditating - no scratching!

He goes - I thought you were asking if you and your wife could scratch each others itch (so to speak). No - no scratching while sitting!

Communications breakdown (Led Zeppelin).

Metta

edit to add: He can be a slave driving task master! So all ya'll - if not married - no scratching regardless the bigness of your itch! Mosquitoes or ahem otherwise!

edit to edit to add: The abidarnit formula applies: If x, then y. If not x, then not y. Simple math.

edit to edit to edit to add: Same formula here - but now - I can't hit no more homers, I can't make it to first base in my old age, let alone run the bases while the fans cheer - in fact I can't even approach the batter's box - my bat it, it, it, well, just let me put it this way:

they do not allow floppy droopy can't swat a fly mini-bats on the field! <a grin/no grin grin - equanimous grin it is!>

edit 2 add + infinity: I thought tinnitus was bad. Then I thought losing my vision was bad. Then I thought losing my hearing was bad. Then I thought losing my cognitive powers were/was bad. Then I thought losing my teeth was bad. Then I thought losing my hair was bad. Than I thought losing my cognitive prowess was bad (did I repeat myself - losing my memory - bad). Then I thought losing my car keys (but finding them in the freezer) was bad. I could go on and on - but - I want to get to the last scenario -

Losing your virginity if unmarried and male or female - now THAT is bad! <grin> (who hasn't?)
bpallister

Post by bpallister »

I listen to Ajahn Geoff daily. :anjali: he never calls me tho :(
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

Ceisiwr wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:33 pm Is the classical Theravadin viewclassical Theravadin view that all sexually activity is rooted in lust and so is unwholesome?
"classical Theravadin view" is ridiculous
What is "unwholesome" is defined by doctrine. The doctrine is neither "classical" nor "non-classical.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
zerotime

Post by zerotime »

everybody who reach ariyan stages do that with unwholesome trends no eradicated.

There is a commentary from Mahasi Sayadaw on Culavedalla Sutta. Visakha the layman was attached to sex when he was a sotapanna until he reached anagami. Then, after two days without going to bed, his wife force him to give some explanation:

"Listen, Dhammadeinna. I have attained Lokottaa Dhamma (spiritual attainment transcending the world) that would shape my future, after I have heard the Buddha’s sermon. On the first and second occasions when I achieved the Dhamma, I was not yet completely free from the feelings connected with sensual pleasures, and, therefore, at that time our marital relationship had not yet changed. Now on this third occasion, the Dhamma which I have gained is immensely peculiar and surprising."

http://www.yellowrobe.com/images/librar ... 0SUTTA.pdf