Human Realm is only on planet earth

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
form

Human Realm is only on planet earth

Post by form »

Or it can be on other planets concurrently. Can previous Buddha be from other civilisations on other planets or before current earth was formed?
cappuccino

Re: Human Realm is only on planet earth

Post by cappuccino »

Rare planets do resemble ours…

But… think in timelines and it’s infinite
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

form wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:34 am Or it can be on other planets concurrently. Can previous Buddha be from other civilisations on other planets or before current earth was formed?
There could be millions of civilisations out there, some of them humanoid species with their own Buddhas. Why not?
Buddha save me from new-agers!
form

Post by form »

Spiny Norman wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:24 am
form wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:34 am Or it can be on other planets concurrently. Can previous Buddha be from other civilisations on other planets or before current earth was formed?
There could be millions of civilisations out there, some of them humanoid species with their own Buddhas. Why not?
There can be only one Buddha in one whole world system at any time.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

form wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:37 am
There are trillions of those, so potentially trillions of Buddhas.
form

Post by form »

Spiny Norman wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:43 am
form wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:37 am

There are trillions of those, so potentially trillions of Buddhas.
At any one time only one. In the sutta, Deva, etc. all have to listen to him.
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

If the human realm is limited to this earth, why not the animal and ghostly realms too?

If sattvas are limited to this earth and its past, how can the Buddha say that a first point to beings' wanderings cannot be found? A first point of "this earth" can be found, and it has no life on it then. Could the Buddha not see back far enough and gave up, saying that a first point can't be found?

IMO, it only makes sense if the human realm is spread throughout the cosmos ubiquitously everywhere, alongside the animal realm, etc. The cosmos is vast. "Humans" or otherwise "human-like beings" could be quite common without us ever encountering them.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
NotMe

Post by NotMe »

You guys need to read oh no you don’t but the Urantia book. They divide the cosmos up into local universes, each with their own creator God/son at the helm. The heavens and hells etc. are local to that universe. What does that have to do with the price of rice in China?

Metta

:anjali:

Edit to add: In their mythology, the Creator God moves into a lifeless universe and creates. Learning from past experiences they hope to do better each time. In a normal universe, the seeds are sown, Left to mature, and then the Son returns, and starts the harvest, separating the wheat from the chaff. The universe is then cleansed and rinse and repeat.

There was a thing here on earth, the shiny diamond in this local universe called the Lucifer rebellion, we got cut off cut off from the universal translator flow of information throughout the cosmos, which is why we are such dunderheads.

Kind of Buddhist for them to allow that God can go oops like our god goes in the Bible. No it’s not, I’ve got to finish my morning coffee.

Metta

Edit to edit to add: burp! Ah good to the last drop.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Coëmgenu wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:44 pm
If the human realm is limited to this earth, why not the animal and ghostly realms too?

If sattvas are limited to this earth and its past, how can the Buddha say that a first point to beings' wanderings cannot be found? A first point of "this earth" can be found, and it has no life on it then. Could the Buddha not see back far enough and gave up, saying that a first point can't be found?

IMO, it only makes sense if the human realm is spread throughout the cosmos ubiquitously everywhere, alongside the animal realm, etc. The cosmos is vast. "Humans" or otherwise "human-like beings" could be quite common without us ever encountering them.
Though I suspect that views of the cosmos would have been rather parochial in iron-age India.
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

Buddhist cosmology of the Theravada school

Human Beings (manussa loka)

5 - Human (manussa loka): Birth in this plane results from giving and moral discipline of middling quality. This is the realm of moral choice where destiny can be guided. The Khana Sutta mentioned that this plane is a unique balance of pleasure and pain. It facilitates the development of virtue and wisdom to liberate oneself from the entire cycle or rebirths. For this reason rebirth as a human being is considered precious according to the Chiggala Sutta.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhist_ ... ada_school
The Characteristics of Humans may well be the Characteristics of Some Species of Aliens.

Humans (Homo sapiens) are a species of highly intelligent primates. They are the only extant members of the subtribe Hominina and—together with chimpanzees, gorillas, and orangutans—are part of the family Hominidae (the great apes, or hominids). Humans are terrestrial animals, characterized by their erect posture and bipedal locomotion; high manual dexterity and heavy tool use compared to other animals; open-ended and complex language use compared to other animal communications; larger, more complex brains than other primates; and highly advanced and organized societies.[3][4]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human
some recluse or a brahmin, by means of ardour, endeavour, application, diligence, and right reflection, attains to such a degree of mental concentration that with his mind thus concentrated, [purified, clarified, unblemished, devoid of corruptions], he recollects his numerous past lives: that is, (he recollects) one birth, two, three, four, or five births; ten, twenty, thirty, forty, or fifty births; a hundred, a thousand, or a hundred thousand births; many hundreds of births, many thousands of births, many hundreds of thousands of births. (He recalls:) ‘Then I had such a name, belonged to such a clan, had such an appearance; such was my food, such my experience of pleasure and pain, such my span of life. Passing away thence, I re-arose there. There too I had such a name, belonged to such a clan, had such an appearance; such was my food, such my experience of pleasure and pain, such my span of life. Passing away thence, I re-arose here.’ Thus he recollects his numerous past lives in their modes and their details.

a certain recluse or brahmin, by means of ardour, endeavour, application, diligence, and right reflection, attains to such a degree of mental concentration that with his mind thus concentrated he recollects his numerous past lives: that is, (he recollects his past lives throughout) one aeon of world-contraction and expansion (expansion and contraction of the Universe) , throughout two, three, four, five, or ten aeons of world-contraction and expansion. (He recalls:) ‘Then I had such a name, belonged to such a clan, had such an appearance; such was my food, such my experience of pleasure and pain, such my span of life. Passing away thence, I re-arose there. There too I had such a name, belonged to such a clan, had such an appearance; such was my food, such my experience of pleasure and pain, such my span of life. Passing away thence, I re-arose here.’ Thus he recollects his numerous past lives in their modes and their details.

https://suttacentral.net/dn1/en/bodhi
This quote can also be used to explain many types of births on other planets and alien families
(He recalls:) ‘Then I had such a name, belonged to such a clan, had such an appearance; such was my food, such my experience of pleasure and pain, such my span of life. Passing away thence, I re-arose there. There too I had such a name, belonged to such a clan, had such an appearance; such was my food, such my experience of pleasure and pain, such my span of life. Passing away thence, I re-arose here.’ Thus he recollects his numerous past lives in their modes and their details.
Poll Says Species You'd Want to Belong to Is...
https://intl.startrek.com/article/poll- ... long-to-is
There are reports of past lives on other planets..
20-year-old Russian Man Named Boriska Mipriyanovich Says he Lived on Mars Before Being Reborn on Earth
He further said that the Martians can execute interstellar travel. His mother said that the man used to talk about aliens when he was a child and nobody taught him about Mars.
https://www.india.com/news/world/20-yea ... h-2610723/
FBI report: Nikola Tesla, inventor of wireless technology, an alien from Venus
https://vibrantdot.co/fbi-report-nikola ... rom-venus/
https://vault.fbi.gov/nikola-tesla/Niko ... %20of%2003
If we can be reborn in the animal world with infinite different species ..

the same goes for lives on other planets and in different species.

viewtopic.php?p=613249#p613249

this topic tries to explain about the 7 past Buddhas that arose here on Planet Earth ..
Past Buddhas, where in time and space do we place them?

Just to help us focus on EBTs, the seven Buddhas mentioned in DN14 are:

Vipassī
Sikhī
Vessabhū
Kakusandha
Konāgamana
Kassapa
Gotama
https://discourse.suttacentral.net/t/pa ... -them/6647
at the time I had several doubts and made this comment
in this galaxy there are many planets … in this universe there are many galaxies …

and 7 bodhisattvas have attained enlightenment here on this Planet Earth.

This is a very Blessed Planet !!!

Do the Suttas explain this?

or only in Mahayana Buddhism?

https://discourse.suttacentral.net/t/pa ... asoliveira
So..

The Buddha said that beings are infinite ..

Is there life in other planets..

Are there Buddhas on other Planets?

Can Beings light up on other planets?
"Very good, Anuradha. Very good. Both formerly & now, it is only stress that I describe, and the cessation of stress."

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
viewtopic.php?p=624246#p624246

:alien: :spy:

:namaste:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
NotMe

Post by NotMe »

Lucas Oliveira wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:21 pm ...
:alien: :spy:

:namaste:
Great post!

I always thought women were from Venus and men from Mars - hence all the communication problems like lack of the universal transmissions because of the Lucifer rebellion mentioned in my previous post.

BUT - some Bhuddists are allowed to access that cosmic Outernet of info. Rumor has it the creator god/sons are working on solar powered sentient beings!

Better than life/killing to power life! Just a few issues with battery storage capacities and recycling issues - but Hey! With a coupla more local universes experience - all the kinks worked out - NICE!!!

Metta

edit to add: The Outernet is much more tame than the internet we know. excepting the Ferengi - always spamming with sale items.

edit to edit to add: I'm sure some of ya'll are grumbling that the Devas already have that - but this is the improved Rupa models, new for this epoch. You know, the new 13 billion point 9 models - better than the 13 billion point 8 ones we know.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

If you knew the answer to this, would it bring you closer to the end of suffering?
bpallister

Post by bpallister »

dharmacorps wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:21 pm If you knew the answer to this, would it bring you closer to the end of suffering?
I feel that the Buddha did not address questions such as these for this exact reason. :anjali:
santa100

Post by santa100 »

SN 56.31 wrote:On one occasion the Blessed One was dwelling at Kosambi in a siṁsapa grove. Then the Blessed One took up a few siṁsapa leaves in his hand and addressed the bhikkhus thus: “What do you think, bhikkhus, which is more numerous: these few siṁsapa leaves that I have taken up in my hand or those in the siṁsapa grove overhead?”
“Venerable sir, the siṁsapa leaves that the Blessed One has taken up in his hand are few, but those in the siṁsapa grove overhead are numerous.”

So too, bhikkhus, the things I have directly known but have not taught you are numerous, while the things I have taught you are few. And why, bhikkhus, have I not taught those many things? Because they are unbeneficial, irrelevant to the fundamentals of the holy life, and do not lead to revulsion, to dispassion, to cessation, to peace, to direct knowledge, to enlightenment, to Nibbāna. Therefore I have not taught them.

“And what, bhikkhus, have I taught? I have taught: ‘This is suffering’; I have taught: ‘This is the origin of suffering’; I have taught: ‘This is the cessation of suffering’; I have taught: ‘This is the way leading to the cessation of suffering.’ And why, bhikkhus, have I taught this? Because this is beneficial, relevant to the fundamentals of the holy life, and leads to revulsion, to dispassion, to cessation, to peace, to direct knowledge, to enlightenment, to Nibbāna. Therefore I have taught this.

“Therefore, bhikkhus, an exertion should be made to understand: ‘This is suffering.’… An exertion should be made to understand: ‘This is the way leading to the cessation of suffering.’”
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

santa100 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:27 am ...
:goodpost:

I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/