neutering a cat?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Willow Blackwell

Re: neutering a cat?

Post by Willow Blackwell »

I have 2 adorable cats, a male, and a female. I am very concerned about the issue of cat neutering. As far as I know in male cats this is related to spaying and male hormone removal. The former means your pet will no longer be able to reproduce or give birth to kittens.
thepea

Post by thepea »

Suranga wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:21 pm Hi all,

I got a question.

Is it a sin to neuter a Cat (male) . I am thinking to neuter my cat because I heard neutered cat lives stress free.

any advice would be much helpful

with metta
What is sin to you?
Is it greed(fear of loss)?
To fear being immoral is a sin.
form

Post by form »

Suranga wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:13 pm Thanks for all of your reply's.

Even though neutering a cat seams practical and good for controlling cat unwanted reproduction, what concerns here is that we are doing it against its will. do you think it will fall into breaking precept?

its unlike treating for a sickness.further, unlike urban living cats mine is semi-feral cat(in Sri Lanka) now fully domesticated. may be these cats can live by their own with out much human contact.

with metta
That is why I decided not to keep a dog. Also taking away the reproductive organs will cause hormones deficiency that will affect the animals like getting osteoporosis for a male. The vet said like it will increase the lifespan and full of health benefits, but I wonder if it is so good why didn't he get himself castrated.
thepea

Post by thepea »

form wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:10 pm

Even though neutering a cat seams practical and good for controlling cat unwanted reproduction, what concerns here is that we are doing it against its will. do you think it will fall into breaking precept?

its unlike treating for a sickness.further, unlike urban living cats mine is semi-feral cat(in Sri Lanka) now fully domesticated. may be these cats can live by their own with out much human contact.

with metta
That is why I decided not to keep a dog. Also taking away the reproductive organs will cause hormones deficiency that will affect the animals like getting osteoporosis for a male. The vet said like it will increase the lifespan and full of health benefits, but I wonder if it is so good why didn't he get himself castrated.
We have pigs, goats, chickens, rabbits, ducks.....
All are intact and the boys will be boys but they are all happy and seems very healthy.
We have a dog from rescue that was neutered when we got him. He has some health issues both physical and emotional.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

form wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:10 pm

with metta
Well, maybe he got married instead... ;)
form

Post by form »

I do not remember any accounts of keeping pet in the nikaya. My tibetan Buddhist friend said his teacher warn them not to keep pet at all.
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

Neutering in itself may not be much of a problem, imo.

At most, maybe one can get neutered in return. :lol: Anyway, even this would not probably be a problem because it is not a problem in the first place for some.

:jumping:
𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. Nanananda

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa
Willow Blackwell

Post by Willow Blackwell »

It requires assessment, especially if you want to breed it. A veterinarian can always help with the decision and during the process should you push through.
Furthermore, there is a little information about neutering if you needed it! https://www.fveap.org/before-and-after- ... -male-cat/
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Just adopt neutered cats then, problem solved.

Or don't adopt at all.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false