arm swinging exercise, double arm swing, for warding off drowsiness

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
frank k

arm swinging exercise, double arm swing, for warding off drowsiness

Post by frank k »

www.lucid24.org/sted : ☸Lucid24.org🐘 STED definitions
www.audtip.org/audtip: 🎙️🔊Audio Tales in Pāli: ☸Dharma and Vinaya in many languages
JamesTheGiant

Re: arm swinging exercise, double arm swing, for warding off drowsiness

Post by JamesTheGiant »

I was expecting an analysis of why Bhante Sujato's translation of "arm swinging" is egregiously wrong.

But seriously, yes that method of warding off drowsiness is very useful to me. :namaste:
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

20 minutes is a very long time to watch a YouTube video in Chinese. First the link is to a sort of blog. Then a Reddit post. And finally the YouTube video. I was looking forward to watching it because drowsiness tends to be a problem for me and it only gets worse as my mind stops talking to itself. I have no idea what that guy was trying to say or if it had anything to do with drowsiness. A written explanation would be much to be preferred. Especially if it were here in this thread.
frank k

Post by frank k »

Inedible wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:13 pm 20 minutes is a very long time to watch a YouTube video in Chinese. First the link is to a sort of blog. Then a Reddit post. And finally the YouTube video. I was looking forward to watching it because drowsiness tends to be a problem for me and it only gets worse as my mind stops talking to itself. I have no idea what that guy was trying to say or if it had anything to do with drowsiness. A written explanation would be much to be preferred. Especially if it were here in this thread.
You didn't have to watch the whole 20min video, I did say the time mark where the best exercise was, and you only have to watch about 10 seconds of that to get the idea.
This is one of those exercises where you need both video and written description to really get it. Written alone is too hard to understand (how to actually do the move). Two dimensional video with one fixed angle you'll miss out on some nice details of how to get the most out of it.
I'll do a more detailed write up, cutting out just a half minute from that whole video sometime soon.

Many of the tips for it, will the same as the ones for 'turn and burn', since this double 360 arm swing is subclass of that.
https://qigor.blogspot.com/2022/03/turn ... vator.html
www.audtip.org/audtip: 🎙️🔊Audio Tales in Pāli: ☸Dharma and Vinaya in many languages
frank k

Post by frank k »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 6:59 am I was expecting an analysis of why Bhante Sujato's translation of "arm swinging" is egregiously wrong.

But seriously, yes that method of warding off drowsiness is very useful to me. :namaste:
Glad to hear it's working!

Compared to the 180 arm swings that just pendulum back and forth, there's something about doing 360 full arm swings, seems to create a tornado effective with more momentum and flushes your drowsiness down the drain.
dharmalotus48

Post by dharmalotus48 »

Frank thanks for the video!

Are you Chinese how did you understand any of that?
form

Post by form »

Going for a swim seems more effective than that.
frank k

Post by frank k »

form wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:53 pm Going for a swim seems more effective than that.
Were you born with silver spoons?
Can you just have your butler drive you to your private heated swimming pool whenever you need to counter drowsiness with swimming?

Have you been on meditation retreats that give you enough time to go swim every time you need to conquer drowsiness?
form

Post by form »

frank k wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:49 am
form wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:53 pm Going for a swim seems more effective than that.
Were you born with silver spoons?
Can you just have your butler drive you to your private heated swimming pool whenever you need to counter drowsiness with swimming?

Have you been on meditation retreats that give you enough time to go swim every time you need to conquer drowsiness?
I seldom feel sleepy when I meditate. Why did you need to go to retreat to do meditation? It is about withdrawal and solitude.