Did the Buddha encourage his followers to spread the dhamma?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Gami47

Did the Buddha encourage his followers to spread the dhamma?

Post by Gami47 »

:namaste:
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Did the Buddha encourage his followers to spread the dhamma?

Post by DNS »

yes
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Personally I don’t, unless people ask. Even then I try to judge how much they can comprehend. Usually I restrict it to simple kamma and rebirth. It’s really up to the individual to seek the path. Most people don’t have the previous kamma for it.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Ceisiwr wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:11 am Personally I don’t, unless people ask. Even then I try to judge how much they can comprehend. Usually I restrict it to simple kamma and rebirth. It’s really up to the individual to seek the path. Most people don’t have the previous kamma for it.
Yes, in modern times, this is best.

During the time of the Buddha, the Dhamma-Vinaya was still new (dispensation), so he encouraged missionary type activities, but in today's world that would not be such a good idea and might be counter-productive (unless someone asks).

Wander forth, O bhikkhus, for the welfare of the multitude, for the happiness of the multitude, out of compassion for the world, for the good, welfare, and happiness of devas and humans. Let not two go the same way. Teach, O bhikkhus, the Dhamma that is good in the beginning, good in the middle, good in the end, with the right meaning and phrasing.” Samyutta Nikaya 4.453
bpallister

Post by bpallister »

Spead the Dhamma like peanut butter, monks. :stirthepot:
form

Post by form »

Yes. But to the correct people only at the right time and the content taught must be appropriate for the target and done skillfully.
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

form wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:20 am Yes. But to the correct people only at the right time and the content taught must be appropriate for the target and done skillfully.
There were times when even lord budda did not teach damma , when he knew inappropriate. Hunger was one aspect and secondly when he sensed that the the receiver of advice was psychologically not ready.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

bpallister wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:43 am Spead the Dhamma like peanut butter, monks. :stirthepot:
Maybe it is better to spread it like Marmite. Not everyone will like it. Spread it thinly at first until they acquire the salty taste for the truth of suffering.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
asahi

Post by asahi »

Why not some fruity jam and butter . Some sweet flavor to inspire them . Some butter to nourish their faith .
No bashing No gossiping
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

Ceisiwr wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:11 am Personally I don’t, unless people ask. Even then I try to judge how much they can comprehend. Usually I restrict it to simple kamma and rebirth. It’s really up to the individual to seek the path. Most people don’t have the previous kamma for it.
Pure speculation. There’s a sutta where the Buddha addresses several Jain monks who are practicing severe austerities. The Jains greet the Buddha and go on to say Nanaputta has told us that we suffer because we’ve done evil in the past. By these penances we will atone for that evil and this is to our liking.

The Buddha then proceeds to completely tear apart their arguments asking questions such as, “do you know which evil in a past life it is that you are doing penance for?” - and they have no clue.

So, when you say most people haven’t cultivated the kamma to understand the dhamma, that’s like blaming a kid who hasn’t learnt to read on the basis of past life kamma.

It’s superstitious. Unless you have the divine eye, you can’t comment on the fertility of one’s reaction to the dhamma.
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
bpallister

Post by bpallister »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:50 am
bpallister wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:43 am Spead the Dhamma like peanut butter, monks. :stirthepot:
Maybe it is better to spread it like Marmite. Not everyone will like it. Spread it thinly at first until they acquire the salty taste for the truth of suffering.

i had to look up marmite. now i'd like to try some. looks interesting. :anjali:
Jack19990101

Post by Jack19990101 »

What i remembered is that Buddha advises -
only when there is explicit interest expressed.

My impression is that Buddha wants his followers to teach Dhamma only to respectful audiences.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

bpallister wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:27 pm

I find it disgusting.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Pondera wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:00 am you can’t comment on the fertility of one’s reaction to the dhamma.
one has to be sick of Saṃsāra
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
bpallister

Post by bpallister »

Ceisiwr wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:34 pm
bpallister wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:27 pm

I find it disgusting.
One man's aversion is another man's greed :offtopic: