History of Buddhist monasticism

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Bundokji

History of Buddhist monasticism

Post by Bundokji »

Bhikkhus & Friends,

Where can i read about how the Buddha established the monastic order?

Encountering an ascetic is to encounter the fourth messenger. Religious institutions pre-dated the Buddha. As a Bodhisatta, the lord trained under few orders. I am wondering if his experience influenced the way he established his order.

Based on the Three Cardinal Discourses of the Buddha, the first two were addressed to the bhikkhus of the group of five. This does not seem systematic in the sense that they were his companions as a Bodhisatta. In the third (the fire sermon) he addressed a thousand Bhikkhus. I am not sure the length of time between the second and the third sermon, but is there any research done to explore this era?

Thank you :anjali:
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: History of Buddhist monasticism

Post by Sam Vara »

Bundokji wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:28 pm Bhikkhus & Friends,

Where can i read about how the Buddha established the monastic order?

Encountering an ascetic is to encounter the fourth messenger. Religious institutions pre-dated the Buddha. As a Bodhisatta, the lord trained under few orders. I am wondering if his experience influenced the way he established his order.

Based on the Three Cardinal Discourses of the Buddha, the first two were addressed to the bhikkhus of the group of five. This does not seem systematic in the sense that they were his companions as a Bodhisatta. In the third (the fire sermon) he addressed a thousand Bhikkhus. I am not sure the length of time between the second and the third sermon, but is there any research done to explore this era?

Thank you :anjali:
I don't think there is any evidence to suggest that the three cardinal discourses were actually delivered in that order. It's tradition. Gombrich, for example, points out that the Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta doesn't make much sense if seen as the Buddha's first sermon.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

The Theravada account is in the Vinaya:

https://suttacentral.net/pli-tv-kd1/en/brahmali

:heart:
Mike
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The beginning of the Vinaya's Mahāvagga talks about the first bhikkhus: Koṇḍañña, Vappa, Bhaddiya, Mahānāma & Assaji; then Yasa and his four friends Vimala, Subāhu, Puṇṇaji, & Gavampati, followed by 50 more of Yasa's friends, the excellent/auspicious group of 30, the 3 Kassapa brothers (and their 1000 followers), Sāriputta and Moggallāna and 250 other wanderers of Sañjaya, etc.