Has anyone else here completely quit social media (minus this forum, obviously)

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Akashad

Re: Has anyone else here completely quit social media (minus this forum, obviously)

Post by Akashad »

Reading most of the comments on social media can be very disheartening.A lot of division and tribal mentality.I can't believe as a society we have reached a very low point and toxic level of existence.One would only expect people to behave this way when place in extreme conditions such as war or plague etc bringing out the worst in humanity..but we are seeing it more and more in everyday life while surrounded by our material comforts.Because we are creating and immersing ourselves in negativity.Just like my example of metta bhavana where you bring up thought of love,imagine it,feel it you Dwell in it..therefore your consciousness becomes immersed in loving kindness..

This is the SAME thing.

But the opposite.Hate,violence,racism,conceit,division,saturating yourself with it.Normalising it.Getting accustomed to it.
The selfishness and toxicity as well as tolerance for violence. Makes you almosy grateful you are not bringing up a child in today's society.

Even when you go on Netflix or streaming channels its all saturated with death and violence.I am completely dumbstruck.i saw nothing but red flags.🙉 i just quit all social media.Honestly.If people cant find me they cant find me.Like if we could survive just fine in the past visiting each other in person or a phone call or write letter we can survive just fine now.
DhammaJosh

Re: Has anyone else here completely quit social media (minus this forum, obviously)

Post by DhammaJosh »

Akashad wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:25 am Reading most of the comments on social media can be very disheartening.A lot of division and tribal mentality.I can't believe as a society we have reached a very low point and toxic level of existence.One would only expect people to behave this way when place in extreme conditions such as war or plague etc bringing out the worst in humanity..but we are seeing it more and more in everyday life while surrounded by our material comforts.Because we are creating and immersing ourselves in negativity.Just like my example of metta bhavana where you bring up thought of love,imagine it,feel it you Dwell in it..therefore your consciousness becomes immersed in loving kindness..

This is the SAME thing.

But the opposite.Hate,violence,racism,conceit,division,saturating yourself with it.Normalising it.Getting accustomed to it.
The selfishness and toxicity as well as tolerance for violence. Makes you almosy grateful you are not bringing up a child in today's society.

Even when you go on Netflix or streaming channels its all saturated with death and violence.I am completely dumbstruck.i saw nothing but red flags.🙉 i just quit all social media.Honestly.If people cant find me they cant find me.Like if we could survive just fine in the past visiting each other in person or a phone call or write letter we can survive just fine now.
I really enjoyed reading your reply. It’s kind of comforting knowing I’m not alone in these opinions.
DhammaJosh

Post by DhammaJosh »

dharmacorps wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:55 pm I mothballed my Facebook some years ago.

I made a rule to my myself after I had to de-friend a close person on there, where anyone on my feed that promoted violence would get deleted as a friend. Incredibly, I had to delete half my friends and family members over the span of a year or two. I couldn't believe it. I decided I needed to stay away. Something about it is just sick. I keep the account only to be able to reach far flung family in an emergency whose information I don't otherwise have. I do use twitter and there have fewer problems with it. I think I just curate it more though.
Years ago, when I had a Facebook account, I did the same. Ya know what? Only one out of the maybe dozen or so I unfriended bothered to reach out to me after. We discussed it and she realized how wrong her behavior was and apologized. We are better friends now than ever.

Even my step-father, who had been so engulfed in politics and religion felt it was more important for him to maintain his ideologies of hatred than to want to be a part of my life.

But I am no doubt all the better for having shed those people from my life all those years ago.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

DhammaJosh wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:55 am
Years ago, when I had a Facebook account, I did the same. Ya know what? Only one out of the maybe dozen or so I unfriended bothered to reach out to me after. We discussed it and she realized how wrong her behavior was and apologized. We are better friends now than ever.

Even my step-father, who had been so engulfed in politics and religion felt it was more important for him to maintain his ideologies of hatred than to want to be a part of my life.

But I am no doubt all the better for having shed those people from my life all those years ago.
I'm really glad that your decision led to at least one person becoming closer to you. It is likely that is a true friend. Sadly I think, social media more often than not leads to a situation like you and your step-father. People become more stuck in their opinions and more extreme too. I am sure that we are better off not being around people like that.
mario92

Post by mario92 »

I tried to quit, but facebook doesnt allow you to do that, it only locks your account, it is in a certain way undistructible. But what i did later, is to only give like and share good things, then you will see good things. Like saving animals and people, and other positive stuff. That way you will see only good things. Just dont follow bad people, give unfollow.