powerful and visceral daily asubha that anyone and everyone can do

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
frank k

powerful and visceral daily asubha that anyone and everyone can do

Post by frank k »

http://notesonthedhamma.blogspot.com/20 ... uddha.html

If you're not interested in pāḷi, just the asubha tip, just skip past the beginning and read the last section (very short read)
www.lucid24.org/sted : ☸Lucid24.org🐘 STED definitions
www.audtip.org/audtip: 🎙️🔊Audio Tales in Pāli: ☸Dharma and Vinaya in many languages
Johann

Re: powerful and visceral daily asubha that anyone and everyone can do

Post by Johann »

What a fermentation (fart)... to tell other people public to be just like that. Yet, does he get the smell here, the good householder? The rejoicing with what, sharing of what, in his poems up and on? Yet then even a google piece, well formed, to shy to take on own asubha imagination.

(btw.: Of couse, the Buddha, as well his disciples, do not make use of vulgar words, speech and there are better words as the last suggested, transporting the message clear while not using the language of the dirty streets and common low folk)

Anyway, Mudita.
Last edited by Johann on Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
frank k

Post by frank k »

Reference and proof please?
You're assuming many things there.
1. Maybe not every culture has hangups about natural bodily functions.
2. Maybe there are slang and colloquial terms in common use not considered improper language for everyday use.
3. I've seen no evidence in the suttas of the Buddha being elitist and shunning certain castes, professions, or "vulgar" words in his language.
4. Even if we assume there are 'vulgar' words avoided, what evidence do you have that the equivalent of 'shit' is one of those?
5. Even if we assume there are 'vulgar' words avoided, and that pali for 'shit' is one of them, what's the prevent the Buddha from using a vulgar word deliberately for dramatic effect? There's the sutta where the Buddha picks up a piece of dry cow shit to point out something in a talk with the bhikkhus, is that not vulgar? Is that something you would do in polite society?
Johann wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:21 pm What a fermentation (fart)... to tell other people public to be just like that. Yet, does he get the smell here, the good householder? The rejoicing with what, sharing of what, in his poems up and on? Yet then even a google piece, well formed, to shy to take on own asubha imagination.

(btw.: Of couse, the Buddha, as well his disciples, do not make use of vulgar words, speech and there are better words as the last suggested, transporting the message clear while not using the language of the dirty streets and common low folk)

Anyway, Mudita.
www.lucid24.org/sted : ☸Lucid24.org🐘 STED definitions
www.audtip.org/audtip: 🎙️🔊Audio Tales in Pāli: ☸Dharma and Vinaya in many languages
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Gūthabhāṇī Suttaṃ
(A.i.128)
A Speaker of Excrement

“These three individuals, monks, are found in the world. What three? A speaker of excrement (gūthabhāṇī), a speaker of flowers (pupphabhāṇī), and a speaker of honey (madhubhāṇī).

“What, monks, is an individual who is a speaker of excrement? Here, monks, a certain individual when called to a court, or an assembly, to the midst of his relatives, or a guild, or in the midst of the royal family, and questioned as a witness: ‘So, good man, tell us what you know,” not knowing, he says, ‘I know,’ or knowing, he says, ‘I do not know,’ or not seeing, he says, ‘I see,’ or seeing, he says, ‘I do not see.’ Thus, for his own sake or for the sake of another or for the sake of a trifling material gain he tells deliberate lies. This, monks, is called an individual who is a speaker of excrement.

“What, monks, is an individual who is a speaker of flowers? Here, monks, a certain individual when called to a court, or an assembly, to the midst of his relatives, or a guild, or in the midst of the royal family, and questioned as a witness: ‘So, good man, tell us what you know,” not knowing, he says, ‘I do not know,’ or knowing, he says, ‘I know,’ or not seeing, he says, ‘I do not see,’ or seeing, he says, ‘I see.’ Thus, for his own sake or for the sake of another or for the sake of a trifling material gain he does not tell deliberate lies. This, monks, is called an individual who is a speaker of flowers.

“What, monks, is an individual who is a speaker of honey? Here, monks, a certain individual abandons and abstains from harsh speech; speech that is gentle, pleasing to the ear, affectionate, heartfelt, polite, lovely and pleasing to many people — that kind of speech is what he speaks. This, monks, is called an individual who is a speaker of honey.

“These three individuals, monks, are found in the world.”
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)