You can let the body sleep but the mind awake.

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
SarathW

Re: You can let the body sleep but the mind awake.

Post by SarathW »

What's a sleeping body, good householder?
Deep sleeping.
I saw (an experience I am snoring)
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Johann

Post by Johann »

SarathW wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:04 am
Deep sleeping.
Body or mind? What can sleep, even if standing?
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

SarathW wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:56 am You can let the body sleep but the mind awake.

I experienced this phenomenon a few years back and I reported it in Dhamma Wheel in one of my posts.
I have never seen this described in any of the Dhamma books.
It's practiced in Tibetan Buddhism, AKA Tibetan Dream Yoga.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Deep sleeping.
nothing special. may be ur ears are still functioning and u never really went into deep sleep...
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

confusedlayman wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:16 pm
Deep sleeping.
nothing special. may be ur ears are still functioning and u never really went into deep sleep...
I think I heard I am snoring.
:D
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
asahi

Post by asahi »

That is when mind becomes sharpened n detached from body .
No bashing No gossiping
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

asahi wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:39 am That is when mind becomes sharpened n detached from body .
How to reach this state at will?
asksky

Post by asksky »

I experienced this, or something alike, this January. (I don't understand the video).

I started trying to meditate back in December. As a beginner things like being still doing asana for a time is hard and source of a lot of body distractions and discomfort. Therefore, I thought about trying to meditate in the dreams, since there you are disconnected from the body sensations. (During all my life I had quite a lot of experiences dreaming, including lucid dreams. Essentially the method I followed when I wanted to make sure to have a lucid dream was simply to focus and repeat the idea "I want to lucid dream, I want to be fully awake and control the dream" for some minutes before going to sleep.)

Since I stopped trying to control my dreams about a decade ago, I wasn't sure I'd accomplish it, and therefore I repeated for quite a long "I want to meditate in my dreams" while focusing on breathing with long expiration. At one moment I felt I entered the sleep - because the tongue, that I was pressing against the palate, relaxed and the breath entered into sleep mode. While trying not to act or react to anything else I just focused my attention to the breath, that returned to the previous long breathing.
This is how I entered this state where the body was sleeping, yet I remained fully aware. (I wasn't in a dream). That said, my "mind" (what I'd call the "thought generator") was also sleeping. I meditated for some time, not sure how much, but probably more than hour, before feeling quite exhausted, so I let it go and my "awareness" joined the body and mind sleep.

Some of the thing I experienced:
  • I could move my body in such slow and gently peace that it's impossible for me doing it awake, not matter how much I try.
  • I felt things flowing in the body I never felt.
  • When I do normal meditation I could silence myself to the point where breath and heart are quite aloud, but during that sleep meditation I could hear more subtle things while hearing the heart quite quiet.
  • Although I could interact with the mind in the same way than my body, it was also so so slow. Never experienced anything like that. One time I tried to recite mentally the "om namo bhagavate vasudevaya" and I stopped at the "bha" because of how long and how much effort I needed to put to simply mentally recite the mantra (actually, I feared I could awake the mind, so I stopped).
After I wake up my body was normal, but my mind was still slow. My normal state is to have several race thoughts for a minute, but the day after that sleep it could pass minutes between thought and though, and thoughts came one at a time. Another great thing I experienced afterwards was that I did not generate mucous at all (it depends on the day, but I usually need to clean my nose and throat more than a dozen times a day). Those effect faded gradually over the next ten days.

I haven't tried again it, because I do not want to depend on shortcuts, but I guess I get a glimpse of some of the states meditation can provoke.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Deep sleeping.
this is different,. here you dont feel body as mind is only awake. you cant hear sounds or 5 sence experience.
pudai

Post by pudai »

An earnest one would realize that their; Sitting, standing or laying down ended as their focus seized upon something not sitting, standing or laying down and then go back to their focus of just sitting, standing or laying down.

So whether one's meditation is just sitting; standing; or laying down... anything other than those three things is best thought of simply as nimitta and go back to the practice of; just sitting, just standing or just laying down.

*If its not someone else composed of the elements? Then it's just nimitta.

Grasping nimitta; Only becomes cause for grasping at the seventh consciousness and then the delusion of not knowing gives rise to the thicket of views(Manjushri's paradise)... Those that sit and cease sitting to experience jhana... Typically; Dont see the nirodha of sitting just occurred and instead of going back to; Just sitting? Use that thicket of views that arose with the nimitta as the discursive thinking required to enter and remain in the first jhana aka dreaming on the cushion.

A master of meditation loves such a situation... As someone dreaming on the cushion; So they can firmly strike reality back into them with a stick.
The six senses accommodate; All the factors of existence... The All.
Apart from; The All... Nothing exists.
The senses are empty of a self & what belongs to a self.
pudai

Post by pudai »

asksky wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:53 pm I experienced this, or something alike, this January. (I don't understand the video).

I started trying to meditate back in December. As a beginner things like being still doing asana for a time is hard and source of a lot of body distractions and discomfort.

When you see that is why anyone moves at all? Then you'll have firmly grasped Buddha's nose.
Dhammapardon

Post by Dhammapardon »

pudai wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:22 pm When you see that is why anyone moves at all? Then you'll have firmly grasped Buddha's nose.
Sometimes my heartbeat moves me around when sitting. It's almost distracting but it is also kind of nice.
Just as a bird, wherever it goes, flies with its wings as its only burden; so too is he content with a set of robes to provide for his body and almsfood to provide for his hunger. Wherever he goes, he takes only his barest necessities along. This is how a monk is content.(DN11)
pudai

Post by pudai »

Dhammapardon wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:32 am
pudai wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:22 pm When you see that is why anyone moves at all? Then you'll have firmly grasped Buddha's nose.
Sometimes my heartbeat moves me around when sitting. It's almost distracting but it is also kind of nice.
Since this post falls into the nimitta category discussion aka idle chatter; Choose to ignore it or not.

It's A lot like breath as a meditation object... Breath has a bouncing up and down sort of effect and heart has a bouncing forward and backwards when used as an object moving the hearts lokka to just the head has some really funny results. But all thats typically why full or half lotus was the suggestion as a goto posture as they are more stable and less prone to injury... while standing I went into nirodha to see what would happen; Fell and broke my nose is what happened blood everywhere... :tongue: So I don't suggest that posture wen working with that. A short cut I have to that is thinking of a swastika shape on my lower dianten four finger breadths below the navel exhale all air from lungs and nose as a breath lock and turn the stomach around like a wheel if done right it will seem like the stomach muscles have changed places a throbbing heart beat sort bliss and a sort of ringing in both ears occurs... listening instead of being just focused on the experiencing of sensation is a source a lot of wisdom as it is the so called bardo of death one is going through by will not accident.

The micro-organisms in the body falling asleep en-mass as the original poster was saying is an interesting sort of pleasure... Trees will do the same thing; Also pleasurable to experience(who knew they they could fall alseep?) But it's just the strength of one's samadhi and the effect of the calm peace of samatha taking other life forms through the jhanas as a nirvanic being.

It's not like the meditator can help their jhanic field; As it is just one of the results of all of that practice; The very ground and elements change into a sort of energetic mandala... The suggestion is typically practice making it (The jhanic range) the size of a small seed and to as large as the universe(some incomprehensibly large size) like if you imagine that as goal before doing your heart thing with metta as the intent; May transform your practice into something more beneficial as result.
Dhammapardon

Post by Dhammapardon »

pudai wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:56 am while standing I went into nirodha to see what would happen; Fell and broke my nose is what happened blood everywhere... :tongue: So I don't suggest that posture wen working with that.
Oh no! Thanks for sharing that experience. I will likely not follow your footsteps there any time soon and keep my nose in tact for now.
A short cut I have to that is thinking of a swastika shape on my lower dianten four finger breadths below the navel exhale all air from lungs and nose as a breath lock and turn the stomach around like a wheel if done right it will seem like the stomach muscles have changed places a throbbing heart beat sort bliss and a sort of ringing in both ears occurs...
Interesting, there's a spot about 3/4ths the way down from sternum to belly button which I visualize in my own personal way a relax and release there. Examining it right now I can gently rub the spot with my thumb and sense if there is tension there or not(like tense gut or relaxed gut maybe?). When there's no tension, it's sensation to touch of my thumb is almost like precursor to ticklish and I notice my breathing is deeper after relaxing the tension there. Then when I sit, I breathe with attention there and leave the exhaled breath for a moment sitting in that sensation. I find it helps in the process of emptying the mind and dropping the distractions that typically arise in sitting meditation. Doesn't happen when I've been bad though. Those days the stomach is a knot until cause and effect run its course. Or when I've eaten things like greasy hamburger. Wholesome living, vegetables, and empty stomach is much better in my experience. Apparently the micro-ogranisms in my body take great pleasure in fresh vegetables compared to greasy food. I like to visualize them chomping away on carrot fibers like a dog chews a rawhide bone.
It's A lot like breath as a meditation object... Breath has a bouncing up and down sort of effect and heart has a bouncing forward and backwards when used as an object moving the hearts lokka to just the head has some really funny results.
I think I can infer what you mean by lokka but would you be able to clarify any further what lokka is?
listening instead of being just focused on the experiencing of sensation is a source a lot of wisdom as it is the so called bardo of death one is going through by will not accident.
Could you please explain a little furthe ron this? What is the difference in your words?

To Sarath's OP, I'm not sure what that sensation of body asleep/mind awake is exactly like but the closest I can relate is through this sort of above practice of relaxation and proliferation of that sensation with steady mindfulness and attentiveness.

Hopefully not too much idle chatter from me exploring as well.
Just as a bird, wherever it goes, flies with its wings as its only burden; so too is he content with a set of robes to provide for his body and almsfood to provide for his hunger. Wherever he goes, he takes only his barest necessities along. This is how a monk is content.(DN11)
pudai

Post by pudai »

Dhammapardon wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:10 am
pudai wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:56 am while standing I went into nirodha to see what would happen; Fell and broke my nose is what happened blood everywhere... :tongue: So I don't suggest that posture wen working with that.
Oh no! Thanks for sharing that experience. I will likely not follow your footsteps there any time soon and keep my nose in tact for now.
A short cut I have to that is thinking of a swastika shape on my lower dianten four finger breadths below the navel exhale all air from lungs and nose as a breath lock and turn the stomach around like a wheel if done right it will seem like the stomach muscles have changed places a throbbing heart beat sort bliss and a sort of ringing in both ears occurs...
Interesting, there's a spot about 3/4ths the way down from sternum to belly button which I visualize in my own personal way a relax and release there. Examining it right now I can gently rub the spot with my thumb and sense if there is tension there or not(like tense gut or relaxed gut maybe?). When there's no tension, it's sensation to touch of my thumb is almost like precursor to ticklish and I notice my breathing is deeper after relaxing the tension there. Then when I sit, I breathe with attention there and leave the exhaled breath for a moment sitting in that sensation. I find it helps in the process of emptying the mind and dropping the distractions that typically arise in sitting meditation. Doesn't happen when I've been bad though. Those days the stomach is a knot until cause and effect run its course. Or when I've eaten things like greasy hamburger. Wholesome living, vegetables, and empty stomach is much better in my experience. Apparently the micro-ogranisms in my body take great pleasure in fresh vegetables compared to greasy food. I like to visualize them chomping away on carrot fibers like a dog chews a rawhide bone.
It's A lot like breath as a meditation object... Breath has a bouncing up and down sort of effect and heart has a bouncing forward and backwards when used as an object moving the hearts lokka to just the head has some really funny results.
I think I can infer what you mean by lokka but would you be able to clarify any further what lokka is?
listening instead of being just focused on the experiencing of sensation is a source a lot of wisdom as it is the so called bardo of death one is going through by will not accident.
Could you please explain a little furthe ron this? What is the difference in your words?

To Sarath's OP, I'm not sure what that sensation of body asleep/mind awake is exactly like but the closest I can relate is through this sort of above practice of relaxation and proliferation of that sensation with steady mindfulness and attentiveness.

Hopefully not too much idle chatter from me exploring as well.
Lokka is any location or abode... In the sense used above even though the heart is said to be in the chest it can be placed anywhere in existence and observed. Placing the heart in the location of head and peripherally looking towards the nose big puffy cheeks like the fat buddha statues and a head that seems to inflate or get bigger and bigger with every heartbeat in it having changed the location of the cakra... it's a good one for combating an unpleasant mood. Like most people listen wrong if you listen with your mind on your throat cakra then the ears will translate whatever language it is as if it is your native language...focusing on their throat cakra and speaking accomplishes the other end... but thats just a side effect from mindfulness and samadhi practice where no learning was actually needed or involved beyond the mental yoke of focusing in the right lokka.

NIrodha is the realization that youre not just sitting there... but you died while meditating and still sitting there but at the same time dead not dead... otherwise it's part of the self problem how is dead a self? dead is dead and self is self and when consciousness grasps that the body died while mediating it anchors back into it... as a nibbana "with remainder" one knows what one's true or real essence is having seen it but then goes back into their body and it is then referred to as heat being the only difference between it and corpse. There are practices to attain nirodha on the cushion exhaling all air and rotating the guts is one of them it's from Chan specifically if curious of it's origin.

Whats neat is knowing and seeing one's true nature and yet with remainder the body is exactly like it was instead of a subtle body and transmigration which is normally the case... unaware of death occurring. But thats a way to practice dying and not lose one's form... the big ball of light make no mistake but thats the DING! You died and that's you coming to get back to get into you as weird as that sounds. I don't want to get into the not self business as it is very complicated and best left to personal practice to become wise about.

Listening something a corpse can't do but mind can and doing nirodha is wisdom from what could be called the furthest shore... The person that gave the chan method as a master of it said keep doing that and only that and no other practice... but it takes a lot of effort to die and recover die recover die recover and thats just my excuse for not doing it as he stated to practice it so shame on me.

Hopefully the clarification hasnt make it worse as more obscured but using the body for desire for others and things etc instead of really playing with it all by oneself to it's maximum? Then it would be sad to lose it not having got to know the body to the greatest extent of knowing it possible.