İnsight

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
Miyawex

İnsight

Post by Miyawex »

Hi
1.whats the advantage of noting technique for gaining insight

2.İn mahasi sayadaw noting technique, there are notes for everything

For example body's physical movements notes like standing up,lifting,lying down etc

İ use shinzen youngs see hear feel technique and it has only three note(see,hear,feel)how can we adapt mahasi's notes to shinzen's noting system

For instance what correspond to lying down in shinzens noting system
Goofaholix

Re: İnsight

Post by Goofaholix »

The point of noting practice is that it teaches you to keep track of moment to moment changes on an increasingly detailed level, and it helps you to see what you are experiencing objectively. Once you get good at it you'll probably start to feel noting is quite clunky and tiring, then I'd recommend simplifying or dropping noting practice.

I'm not familiar with Shinzens see,hear,feel noting practice but it sounds like a simplified noting practice interested in the sense bases, which is really what Mahasi noting is interested in too but people can get caught up in the detail.

When you are lying down how do you know you are lying down? can you hear it? no, can you see it? maybe if your eyes are open. You can definietly feel physically the body lying down, so you'd note the physical feeling as feel.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Miyawex wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:09 pm Hi

For example body's physical movements notes like standing up,lifting,lying down etc

İ use shinzen youngs see hear feel technique and it has only three note(see,hear,feel)how can we adapt mahasi's notes to shinzen's noting system

In my opinion, this is a partial practice of the mindfulness of the body.
There are four Satipathana to be observed to gain insight.
Please read Satipathana Sutta.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
maniture_85

Post by maniture_85 »

I tried it on my first meditations years ago. Did not feel any benefit, on the countrary.
It produced disturb.
Pasindu

Post by Pasindu »

Answer for Q1
  • It improves your memory because you are aware of the surroundings and are living in that moment.
  • It helps keep mind from wondering into sinful thoughts.
  • Helps calm the mind for vipassana meditation.
  • Each moment you spend in mindfulness instead of thinking sinful thoughts is a step away from hell.
  • Can be transitioned into vipassana by contemplating the impermanence of each action. (Kolitha, Upathissa [Sariputta, Moggallana theros] decided to become monks after realizing the impermanance of body movements)
  • Can be developed into being mindful of thoughts(cittanupassana) Please refer to Mahasathipattana sutta
Good luck!
thepea

Post by thepea »

The sayadaw taught outdoors to farmers opposed to indoors. The noting technique is simply a grosser technique than anapana to build samadhi.
Noting will help a gross mind develop samadhi. When samadhi is developed to the appropriate level then vipassana(insight) meditation practice can begin. At this stage noting falls away, but can resume if ones samadhi decreases.
It is like when falling out of jhana one can resume anapanna practice then jhana arises again and Vipassana(insight) will resume.
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

Pasindu wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:17 am Answer for Q1
  • It improves your memory because you are aware of the surroundings and are living in that moment.
  • It helps keep mind from wondering into sinful thoughts.
  • Helps calm the mind for vipassana meditation.
  • Each moment you spend in mindfulness instead of thinking sinful thoughts is a step away from hell.
  • Can be transitioned into vipassana by contemplating the impermanence of each action. (Kolitha, Upathissa [Sariputta, Moggallana theros] decided to become monks after realizing the impermanance of body movements)
  • Can be developed into being mindful of thoughts(cittanupassana) Please refer to Mahasathipattana sutta
Good luck!
This is a good set of points. Vippasanna (wisdom release) is the object of such noting techniques. I recommend keeping that in mind if one should desire to practice samatha meditation (tranquility release). I can’t really see an advantage to noting everything that occurs in the mind when developing samatha.

Although, IMO - there is a set of steps one follows along the road to tranquility release. But knowing those steps is not the same as activating them. There can be many steps. And out of those many steps a few are essential. The rest are a part of deeper understanding, not necessarily good technique.
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded