Equanimous Mind

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
tranzenic

Equanimous Mind

Post by tranzenic »

So often in dhamma talk, we hear about attaining an equanimous mind. Here's a real life example of one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlHSl0vXBY0. Watching this video, I realize this girl has much for one to learn, and her life journey is an example of dhamma and wisdom. This is vipassana.
SarathW

Re: Equanimous Mind

Post by SarathW »

tranzenic wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:57 pm So often in dhamma talk, we hear about attaining an equanimous mind. Here's a real life example of one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlHSl0vXBY0. Watching this video, I realize this girl has much for one to learn, and her life journey is an example of dhamma and wisdom. This is vipassana.
No. It is not Vipassana.
This is called household equanimity based on ignorance.
If you like to know what is Vipassana please read Satipathana Sutta.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

SarathW wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:14 pm
tranzenic wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:57 pm So often in dhamma talk, we hear about attaining an equanimous mind. Here's a real life example of one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlHSl0vXBY0. Watching this video, I realize this girl has much for one to learn, and her life journey is an example of dhamma and wisdom. This is vipassana.
No. It is not Vipassana.
Real equnimity dont have intentional volational formation. In second jhana its absent .. similarly if u see things as they are u can do in normal life outside jhana where things arise and pass away
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

tranzenic wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:57 pm So often in dhamma talk, we hear about attaining an equanimous mind.
If there would be evidence of "mind" then " equanimous mind" would certainly be a good idea. But there is no evidence of "mind" at all although people are talking about "mind" interminably.

Eko said to Bodhidharma, “my mind is not at peace, please pacify it”

Bodhidharma said, “bring me your mind and I will pacify it”

After a while Eko said, “I have looked everywhere for my mind and I cannot find it”

Bodhidharma said, “There! I have pacified it”
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

SteRo wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:48 pm
tranzenic wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:57 pm So often in dhamma talk, we hear about attaining an equanimous mind.
If there would be evidence of "mind" then " equanimous mind" would certainly be a good idea. But there is no evidence of "mind" at all although people are talking about "mind" interminably.
Would it be true to say that you favour mindless comments?
asahi

Post by asahi »

When you are thinking , there probably you will say that is referencing as what people called mind .
No bashing No gossiping
tranzenic

Post by tranzenic »

No. It is not Vipassana.
I see you are clinging to sutta and text, and categorize anything that is not within that context as inferior. That in itself is hindrance. Liberation is a gradual path, and part of that is learning to let go and release sufferings. This was just a teenage girl, and in this instance of her life, she managed to let go rather than let her mind suffer further and become worse. Dhamma can be seen from anyone and anywhere not just from those who practice buddhism, and that's why we practice mindfulness.
tranzenic

Post by tranzenic »

confusedlayman wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:10 pm
No. It is not Vipassana.
Real equnimity dont have intentional volational formation. In second jhana its absent .. similarly if u see things as they are u can do in normal life outside jhana where things arise and pass away
Well-said. People tend to forget that Buddhist teachings help pointing us to the facts of life not channeling life into Buddhist view.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

tranzenic wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:09 pm
No. It is not Vipassana.
I see you are clinging to sutta and text, and categorize anything that is not within that context as inferior. That in itself is hindrance. Liberation is a gradual path, and part of that is learning to let go and release sufferings. This was just a teenage girl, and in this instance of her life, she managed to let go rather than let her mind suffer further and become worse. Dhamma can be seen from anyone and anywhere not just from those who practice buddhism, and that's why we practice mindfulness.
Agree.
According to Buddha's teaching, even the Brahma and Deva worlds are inferior.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

Sam Vara wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:58 pm
Would it be true to say that you favour mindless comments?
Merriam Webster wrote: Definition of mindless

1a : marked by a lack of mind or consciousness
b(1) : marked by or displaying no use of the powers of the intellect
(2) : requiring little attention or thought especially : not intellectually challenging or stimulating
2 : not mindful : heedless
As to 1a since there is no evidence of "mind" "lack of mind" cannot be confirmed
As to 1b(1) since there is no evidence of "intellect" "powers of the intellect" cannot be confirmed
As to 1b(2) see 1b(1)
As to 2: see 1a

Conclusion: to say that I would favour "mindless comments" is lacking any evidence of "mindful comments" [as a necessary frame of reference]. Whatever is "equanimous", it is not a "mind". It seems I am equanimous about this issue.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

SteRo wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:04 pm since there is no evidence of "intellect" "powers of the intellect" cannot be confirmed
You don't have to treat this forum as a confessional, but I suppose we are flattered...
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

Sam Vara wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:05 pm
SteRo wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:04 pm since there is no evidence of "intellect" "powers of the intellect" cannot be confirmed
You don't have to treat this forum as a confessional,
:?:
Sam Vara wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:05 pm but I suppose we are flattered...
How many you are?
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

SteRo wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:40 pm
Sam Vara wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:05 pm
You don't have to treat this forum as a confessional,
:?:
:thinking:
How many you are?