Are sotapannas unable to date/marry non Buddhists due to unwavering faith in the buddha?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SarathW

Re: Are sotapannas unable to date/marry non Buddhists due to unwavering faith in the buddha?

Post by SarathW »

robertk wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:20 pm Visakha, a sotapanna at age 7, married a non- Buddhist.
:goodpost:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
TRobinson465

Re: Are sotapannas unable to date/marry non Buddhists due to unwavering faith in the buddha?

Post by TRobinson465 »

There is also a story i believe of a sotapanna who fell in love with and married a non-Buddhist hunter. So no. unwavering faith in the Buddha doesnt mean you can only marry other Buddhists.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
robertk

Post by robertk »

TRobinson465 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:55 am There is also a story i believe of a sotapanna who fell in love with and married a non-Buddhist hunter. So no. unwavering faith in the Buddha doesnt mean you can only marry other Buddhists.
Yes that is right.
And later visakha's husband and the hunter converted to Dhamma and I think they became sotapanna too.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

It depends.

In india most of them are married acc to parents wish. So parents ask another family parents if they have children of marragable age.

So visaka has no choice than to marry what her parents decided.
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

confusedlayman wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:41 am It depends.

In india most of them are married acc to parents wish. So parents ask another family parents if they have children of marragable age.

So visaka has no choice than to marry what her parents decided.
True, but thats not what actually happened. Visakha accepted the marriage proposal on her own. Her particular marriage wasnt arranged by her parents, even if that was common at the time and even in India now.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

Gami47 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:15 pm:namaste:
Considering the doctrine I find it hilarious that a sotapanna would want to marry. :lol:
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
robertk

Post by robertk »

SteRo wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:40 pm
Considering the doctrine I find it hilarious that a sotapanna would want to marry. :lol:
Sotapanna still have lobha for sense objects. They have only eliminated the lobha associated with wrong view.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

SteRo wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:40 pm Considering the doctrine I find it hilarious that a sotapanna would want to marry.
people fear being alone
Art of the 21st Century

If we ignore the need of beauty, we find ourselves in a spiritual desert.

Our feeling for beauty is a spiritual and not a sensual emotion.

-Roger Scruton
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

robertk wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:29 pm
Sotapanna still have lobha for sense objects. They have only eliminated the lobha associated with wrong view.
Oh dear ... your sotapannas are pitiable. :sage:

But hey, this forum is a forum of losers in terms of doctrine. Necessarily! Why? There are too many ambiguities (Incoherences). You can spend your whole life "according with dhamma" without any difference in comparison with non-buddhists. But it's fine, you'll just die as everybody else. :sage:
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

SteRo wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:37 am You can spend your whole life "according with dhamma" without any difference in comparison with non-buddhists.
And better than a hundred years
lived without seeing
the Deathless state, is
one day
lived seeing
the Deathless state.

lived without seeing
the ultimate Dhamma, is
one day
lived seeing
the ultimate Dhamma.

Sahassavagga: Thousands
Art of the 21st Century

-Roger Scruton
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

cappuccino wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:40 am
SteRo wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:37 am You can spend your whole life "according with dhamma" without any difference in comparison with non-buddhists.
lived without seeing
the Deathless state, is
one day
lived seeing
the Deathless state.

lived without seeing
the ultimate Dhamma, is
one day
lived seeing
the ultimate Dhamma.

Sahassavagga: Thousands
Happy seeing then!
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Why? Explain
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

confusedlayman wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:33 am Why? Explain
they think your priority would be awakening

but… who knows
Art of the 21st Century

-Roger Scruton