The Buddha was an androgynous

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Bundokji

Re: The Buddha was an androgynous

Post by Bundokji »

mikenz66 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:31 pm Such considerations can be a useful balance to an over-analytical approach to the suttas.
Yes, the venerable indicated that this is a paradox only to logic, but not to myth. I guess the analytical approach can still investigate what makes such myths possible:
“And why, bhikkhus, do you call it form? ‘It is deformed,’ bhikkhus, therefore it is called form. Deformed by what? Deformed by cold, deformed by heat, deformed by hunger, deformed by thirst, deformed by contact with flies, mosquitoes, wind, sun, and serpents. ‘It is deformed,’ bhikkhus, therefore it is called form.
It is therefore a limitation to the analytical approach or to science to account for endless spectrum of individual experiences, hence a myth can be quite useful to understand ourselves better:
"What we are to our inward vision, and what man appears to be sub specie actaniiatis, can only be expressed by way of myth. Myth is more individual and can express life more pecisely than does science. Science works with concepts of averages which are far too general to do justice to the subjective variety of individual life" Carl Jung
I think politicizing these issues begins when groups and individuals demand widening the spectrum in an official way, and the subsequent moral and legal issues arising from such demands.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
freedom

Post by freedom »

asahi wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:22 pm I read in another forum , first the monk said Buddha was an intersex 🤪 . The Great Man actually isnt Fully a Man . :o
But now a nun said Buddha was a androgynous ~ a perfect human . :rolleye:
This is very funny , especially coming from Theravada monastics mouth . The question is , if that is true then why didnt the Buddha establish a androgynous sangha ie a perfect human sangha ? 🤣
I think this is because of wrong understanding of the Suttas such as MN91. I explained this here.
One should not be negligent of discernment, should guard the truth, be devoted to relinquishment, and train only for calm - MN 140.
Jack19990101

Post by Jack19990101 »

There is always chance Sutta is not wrong even if it is beyond our common sense.
After all, nibbana is beyond common sense, anatta is beyond common sense.
Thus, common sense is not all that accurate a measurement what Buddha Dhamma can do to body & mind.

I am not too sure this is a joking matter either. Better we keep respect toward sutta before we make hasty conclusion.
zerotime

Post by zerotime »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:07 am
zerotime wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:37 am just a gross manipulation. That "skin pouch" was just a bag used like a type of underwear to cover the genitals. Still today is used in India by many sadhus. You can search images in google
Oh, today I learned. That makes more sense, thankyou.
something like this, although there are many styles:

if the androgyny would be a mark of a Buddha the texts would explain this. Androgyny was a sacred characteristic at those times. In the sacred Hindu mythology, the primordial human being was Purusha, who was androgen.
There is no logics in projecting our modern cultural rules to the ancient Indian people avoiding mention this characteristic in the case of Buddhas. Still more when their birth is a very rare event.

There is a general spreading of sexual confusion in the Western societies. And the strategy gives the desired fruits. In Europe many countries already have the lowest birth rates from the end of WWII.