Ānantariya kamma

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Mangaka

Ānantariya kamma

Post by Mangaka »

Hello, I have a question about Ānantariya kamma, connected with five things which (if performed) leads inevitably to rebirth in hell in next life.
I was reading a text mentioned also here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anantarika-karma

I have in my mind point number four. How should I understand that?
The Buddha was teaching the Dhamma and not that we should consider material things as something holy. I know that the Buddha statue may be a good support for daily practise (i have statues of the Buddha), but if there would be any damage (even intentional) to material thing connected with buddhism.. is that really considered as sheding the blood of the Buddha?
Isn't the meaning in suttas aimed to the living Buddha and not to material thing like art?
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: Ānantariya kamma

Post by Sam Vara »

Mangaka wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:32 pm Hello, I have a question about Ānantariya kamma, connected with five things which (if performed) leads inevitably to rebirth in hell in next life.

The Buddha was teaching the Dhamma and not that we should consider material things as something holy. I know that the Buddha statue may be a good support for daily practise (i have statues of the Buddha), but if there would be any damage (even intentional) to material thing connected with buddhism.. is that really considered as sheding the blood of the Buddha?
Isn't the meaning in suttas aimed to the living Buddha and not to material thing like art?
That's a Mahayana idea. Have a look at the link on that wiki page. Theravadans tend to encourage respect for Buddha-rupas and the like, but don't as far as I know talk about the "shedding blood" aspect.
Mangaka

Post by Mangaka »

Thank you for your reply.
Mangaka

Post by Mangaka »

Are there any english sources, commentaries or explanations of this topic in Theravāda?
Does somebody have closer informations or ideas?
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Mangaka wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:49 pm Are there any english sources, commentaries or explanations of this topic in Theravāda?
Does somebody have closer informations or ideas?
Here's an earlier discussion here on DW, between some very knowledgeable members:

viewtopic.php?t=35378
Johann

Post by Johann »

Mangaka wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:32 pm Hello, I have a question about Ānantariya kamma, connected with five things which (if performed) leads inevitably to rebirth in hell in next life.

Anantarika kamma starts like all by mind, good householder. Don't one think that there are not many doing such this days. He would find a sutta in MN where the Sublime Buddha listed a long of ways people conduct by the three doors of actions toward hell by doing harming toward the Buddha. Likewise of cause also in regard of the Sublime Dhamma, Sangha. (The body of an Arahat is also just a material thing, like art, so the body of mother, father, teacher...).