Ranagirilena Forest Monastery in Sri Lanka

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
tranzenic

Ranagirilena Forest Monastery in Sri Lanka

Post by tranzenic »

I read in some post that this is a excellent place to ordain and build good foundation in Theravada. However, I cannot find much info in term of meditation method and instruction for this place. Anyone who has experience at this temple, please share.

I want to ordain at a monastery that has a good balance of learning foundation and meditation practice as well.
Ṭhānuttamo

Re: Ranagirilena Forest Monastery in Sri Lanka

Post by Ṭhānuttamo »

tranzenic wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:18 am I read in some post that this is a excellent place to ordain and build good foundation in Theravada. However, I cannot find much info in term of meditation method and instruction for this place. Anyone who has experience at this temple, please share.

I want to ordain at a monastery that has a good balance of learning foundation and meditation practice as well.
Greeting in Dhamma!
I am presently residing at Ranagirilena (Diddeniya) Forest Monastery. They follow a very rigorous study schedule outside the vassa season (up to ten hours per day + chores around another two perhaps), but to participate in that, one would need to know Singhalese. They mainly study Vinaya and Dhammapada (root text plus commentaries in Pāḷi alongside Singhalese). During vassa, they meditate perhaps up to the same amount of time, some group meditation involved. That said, things for foreigners with a bent on meditation may be somewhat different. Another foreigner's (from Romania, just ordained) schedule includes perhaps around three to four hours of study, not just vinaya but also texts according to his liking (e.g. Majjhimanikāya). The teachers are rather flexible and willing to support endeavors in study as well as meditation, within the bounds of Dhamma and Vinaya. Perhaps best to communicate what you intend to do and see. For meditation instructions, they mainly rely on the Visuddhimagga. If you have any further questions, let me know.

Mettā 2u!
A. Bhikkhu
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
tranzenic

Post by tranzenic »

A. Bhikkhu wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:43 am Greeting in Dhamma!
I am presently residing at Ranagirilena (Diddeniya) Forest Monastery. They follow a very rigorous study schedule outside the vassa season (up to ten hours per day + chores around another two perhaps), but to participate in that, one would need to know Singhalese. They mainly study Vinaya and Dhammapada (root text plus commentaries in Pāḷi alongside Singhalese). During vassa, they meditate perhaps up to the same amount of time, some group meditation involved. That said, things for foreigners with a bent on meditation may be somewhat different. Another foreigner's (from Romania, just ordained) schedule includes perhaps around three to four hours of study, not just vinaya but also texts according to his liking (e.g. Majjhimanikāya). The teachers are rather flexible and willing to support endeavors in study as well as meditation, within the bounds of Dhamma and Vinaya. Perhaps best to communicate what you intend to do and see. For meditation instructions, they mainly rely on the Visuddhimagga. If you have any further questions, let me know.

Mettā 2u!
A. Bhikkhu
Thank you for your response, Bhante! These are good to know as this monastery has the very little info available out there. In term of meditation do they follow the approach of suddha-vipassanā-yānika or samatha-yānika, where you go thru 4 stages of jhana? And on average, how much meditation in hours is practiced per day outside of vassa season?
Ṭhānuttamo

Post by Ṭhānuttamo »

tranzenic wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:46 pm Thank you for your response, Bhante! These are good to know as this monastery has the very little info available out there. In term of meditation do they follow the approach of suddha-vipassanā-yānika or samatha-yānika, where you go thru 4 stages of jhana? And on average, how much meditation in hours is practiced per day outside of vassa season?
I think in terms of meditation technique or general approach, you would be free to chose, as long as you can find it in the Tipiṭaka and its commentaries, which opens up a wealth of opportunity for practice. Hmm, per day outside of vassa I would say that the locals do as little as one or two hours per day; the schedule doesn't really allow for much more. If they really wanted to, they could focus more on meditation (but they don't as this point in time), and that is especially true for foreigners.

With mettā!
Eko Care

Post by Eko Care »

A. Bhikkhu wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:32 am I think in terms of meditation technique or general approach, you would be free to chose, as long as you can find it in the Tipiṭaka and its commentaries, which opens up a wealth of opportunity for practice.
A wise approach to meditation, I think.

Furthermore, during the last two decades, this was the most renowned monastery for Vinaya studies, even among the forest monks in Sri Lanka.

:anjali:
Alrac

Post by Alrac »

Eko Care wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:55 pm forest
Driven only by fear, do men go for refuge to many places— to hills, woods, groves, trees and shrines.

Such, indeed, is no safe refuge; such is not the refuge supreme. Not by resorting to such a refuge is one released from all suffering.

He who has gone for refuge to the Buddha, the Teaching and his Order, penetrates with transcendental wisdom the Four Noble Truths—suffering, the cause of suffering, the cessation of suffering, and the Noble Eightfold Path leading to the cessation of suffering.

This indeed is the safe refuge, this the refuge supreme. Having gone to such a refuge, one is released from all suffering.

https://suttacentral.net/dhp179-196/en/ ... ight=false
Eko Care

Post by Eko Care »

The below monk training center is also of same forest sect (Sri kalyani yougasrama Samstha / Galduva sect of Ramanna nikaya) where monks can move time to time.

International Institute of Theravada
https://www.facebook.com/International. ... .Theravada
https://www.youtube.com/c/IITInternatio ... /playlists
https://www.theravado.com/
User13866

Post by User13866 »

Alrac wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:05 pm
Eko Care wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:55 pm forest
Driven only by fear, do men go for refuge to many places— to hills, woods, groves, trees and shrines.

Such, indeed, is no safe refuge; such is not the refuge supreme. Not by resorting to such a refuge is one released from all suffering.

He who has gone for refuge to the Buddha, the Teaching and his Order, penetrates with transcendental wisdom the Four Noble Truths—suffering, the cause of suffering, the cessation of suffering, and the Noble Eightfold Path leading to the cessation of suffering.

This indeed is the safe refuge, this the refuge supreme. Having gone to such a refuge, one is released from all suffering.

https://suttacentral.net/dhp179-196/en/ ... ight=false
Living in the forest is one of the qualities helpful in attaining the immediacy leading to the ending of effluents. It wouldn't be foolish to fear missing out on a good opportunity & support for one's training .
"Endowed with five qualities, a monk pursuing mindfulness of breathing will in no long time penetrate the Unprovoked [release]. Which five?

"He is a person who imposes only a little [on others]: one of few duties & projects, easy to support, easily contented with the requisites of life.

"He is a person who eats only a little food, committed to not indulging his stomach.

"He is a person of only a little sloth, committed to wakefulness.

"He lives in the wilderness, in an isolated dwelling place.

"He reflects on the mind as it is released.

"Endowed with these five qualities, a monk pursuing mindfulness of breathing will in no long time penetrate the Unprovoked."
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
andree23

Post by andree23 »

tranzenic wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:18 am I read in some post that this is a excellent place to ordain and build good foundation in Theravada. However, I cannot find much info in term of meditation method and instruction for this place. Anyone who has experience at this temple, please share. ovo

Ranagirilena Forest Monastery is a Buddhist monastery located in the Kandy district of Sri Lanka. The monastery is located in a secluded forest and is known for its peaceful and tranquil atmosphere. It is a place of pilgrimage for many Buddhist followers, who come to meditate, seek spiritual guidance, and participate in the daily rituals and ceremonies that take place at the monastery. The monastery is known for its beautiful and peaceful surroundings and is considered an ideal place for meditation and spiritual practice.
The monastery is also known for its beautiful architecture and intricate carvings, said to have been created by skilled artisans. The monastery is also known for the teachings and guidance of senior monks. This is the information that I know about the monastery, hope it can help you