sense bases disappear ?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
mikenz66

Re: sense bases disappear ?

Post by mikenz66 »

Spiny Norman wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:21 am There are two quite different interpretations of DO here. But I'm curious as to whether they lead people to practice in different ways.
Any examples?
I think that westerners tend to come with mind-body duality baggage that really doesn't exist in Buddhist thought, so they imagine a dichotomy between a "psychological" and a "physical" model.
Besides, the Theravada and Sarvastivada (and perhaps other) schools had both instantaneous and multiple-life interpretations in their commentarial literature.

As for your question about practice, in my view it's about discerning how these various links lead to suffering, and how they can cease. Some of it is immediate whichever model you favour.

:heart:
Mike
rekoW

Post by rekoW »

mikenz66 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:12 pm I think that westerners tend to come with mind-body duality baggage that really doesn't exist in Buddhist thought, so they imagine a dichotomy between a "psychological" and a "physical" model.
You said Buddhism is non-dualitism the same as Hinudism Avdaita Vedanta. If body-mind is non-dualitism so when body get sick mind must get sick. When body of Buddha get sick Buddha mind must get sick if non-dualitism.
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

retrofuturist wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:48 amImproved daily awareness of other people's paranoia being theirs (i.e. their fabrications) rather than something objective or substantial to be addressed.
Out of curiosity, does "other peoples' paranoia" refer to ways that you believe that these other persons misrepresent you and the thoughts you present on this forum and to how they might produce narratives concerning you and those thoughts?
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

Coëmgenu wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:14 pm
retrofuturist wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:48 amImproved daily awareness of other people's paranoia being theirs (i.e. their fabrications) rather than something objective or substantial to be addressed.
Out of curiosity, does "other peoples' paranoia" refer to ways that you believe that these other persons misrepresent you and the thoughts you present on this forum and to how they might produce narratives concerning you and those thoughts?
It is possible because from my perception we as non arhants are lead by sammuthi sacca. Only an arhant perceives damma with mulaparyaya darma or initial elementary perspectives. Perhaps phena pinduka sutta can explain this as we see form as foam in a river. Sangna is a mirage. Vingnana is a magician which traps our perceptions.
What one sees could be twisted by a magician , until he knows that it was magic.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
justindesilva wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:54 pm It is possible because from my perception we as non arhants are lead by sammuthi sacca. Only an arhant perceives damma with mulaparyaya darma or initial elementary perspectives. Perhaps phena pinduka sutta can explain this as we see form as foam in a river. Sangna is a mirage. Vingnana is a magician which traps our perceptions.
What one sees could be twisted by a magician , until he knows that it was magic.
Well said. I'll take what you said, and the quote below, as answer to Coemgenu's question.
AN 4.157 wrote:It’s very hard to find any sentient beings in the world who can claim to be free of mental illness even for a moment, apart from those who have ended the defilements.
It would be folly to expect it to be otherwise. It is the reason a Buddha does not argue with the world. Smart man.

All the best.

:focus:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

I don't think that associating the responses of persons to the words you say with the "paranoia of others" is particularly skillful. I'm sure you just mentally label that as "paranoia" and go on your merry way, continuing to believe that you are right and using the your idiosyncratic understanding of the Dhamma to reinforce that belief.

Before a predictable :focus: emoticon from you, keep in mind that this impasse is fundamental to the topic of this thread. So long as you associate disagreement with others' paranoia, you will never be in a position to understand that which is outside of your theories, theories entertained by you such as that contact and the senses bases, etc., cease for the Arhat and that the Arhat can experience 6 consciousnesses without any phassa to speak of. Or would you like to revise it and suggest that there is a phassa that is not dependently originated, like you suggested earlier? Similarly, as discussed before, until you stop using the Dhamma to reinforce your preconceived notions, you will be unlikely to ever understand how Buddhist teachings on rebirth are not "transmigration theories."
What is the Uncreated?
rekoW

Post by rekoW »

Coëmgenu wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:44 pm Or would you like to revise it and suggest that there is a phassa that is not dependently originated, like you suggested earlier?
I learn from the BuhddaNet https://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/depend.htm say contact with love (man & woman kissing with lustfulness) depending arising from blind woman of the ignorance. If no ignorant blind woman maybe there the contact not depentedly arising out of the blindness ignorance. The BuddhaNet is good website for begginer. You can read this BudhhaNet. The ignorance say this Pali word "avijja" is a negative term meaning "not knowing completely". When buddha have enlightened mind how can buddha have depending arising contact? Maybe budha have enlighteningment contact.
Coëmgenu wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:44 pm you will be unlikely to ever understand how Buddhist teachings on rebirth are not "transmigration theories."
Is not "transmigration" the "rebirth"? What is the rebirth?
Last edited by rekoW on Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

According to the Buddhadhamma, there is rebirth without transmigration. Also, the phassa we are talking about is between the viṣayadhātu, the indriyadhātu, and the vijñānadhātu, not between any sundry objects or persons.
What is the Uncreated?
rekoW

Post by rekoW »

Coëmgenu wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:07 pm According to the Buddhadhamma, there is rebirth without transmigration.
What is rebirth? What is tragsmgriation? How is rebirth not and wiothout tarnsmrgitation?
Coëmgenu wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:07 pmAlso, the phassa we are talking about is between the viṣayadhātu, the indriyadhātu, and the vijñānadhātu, nit between any sundry objects or persons.
Can you speek in english language? What does "nit" mean" What is a "nit"? If find on internet:
Eighteen dhatus - Hinduismpediahttps://hinduismpedia.kailaasa.org › wiki › Eighteen_dh...
18 Oct 2020 — The eighteen dhatus are: the six perceptual object dhatus (Skt. viṣayadhātu; Wyl. dmigs yul gyi khams):. visible forms (Skt. rūpa-dhātu); sounds ...
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

No, DooDoot, I will not change my language to cater to you.

If you are going to sink to nitpicking on the briefly-misspelt word "not," I'd advise you to spell "without" properly in the future.
What is the Uncreated?
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

retrofuturist wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:40 pm Ceisiwr wrote: "It’s that and the cessation of rebirth, the central problem the Buddha was concerned with."

Retro wrote: "The central problem is obviously dukkha. See: the Four Noble Truths.

If rebirth were the "central problem" nobody would ever want to be reborn or to live again. The pyramids would never have existed. 😱 Nobody would want to be reborn in heaven! :o Why did the Buddha teach the way to higher rebirth for lay puthujjanas then, if "rebirth [was] the central problem the Buddha was concerned with"?" 🤔

You've got a hard sell in front of you, with that characterisation of the Dhamma.
Existence is dukkha Retro. The body is dukkha. The mind is dukkha. Any form of life is suffering. People want to be reborn because they are ignorant of this fact of nature. For those who just cannot understand, in this life at least, he taught the way to heaven as a way of choosing the path with the least amount of suffering. Those who propose an alternative to the traditional explanation are subtlety proposing that this vale of tears can somehow be made right, that what is impermanent be sukha rather than dukkha. That in this life, whilst still having a body and mind, there can be no dukkha at all. That is a vast delusion, and if you are deluded you aren't ever awake. Furthermore, birth in the 4NT is literal birth from the womb (for humans).
The consciousness of eye-consciousness is called viññāṇa because it discriminates - the prefix vi implies two, as per the Latin word bi and -jñā implies knowledge. Per PTS, "it arises through the mutual relation of sense and sense-object"... so it can be explained as the discrimination of an object, i.e. a fabricated dhamma, i.e. a phenomena, from the raw sensory data enabled by the eye-faculty.
Not every prefix in Pāli is meaningful. Vitakka is one such example. This is folk etymology of the kind ToVincent peddles in. What is presented to the eye and cognised by consciousness is an external object. The distortion is in following signs of permanence, satisfaction and self in relation to the external and the internal.
Paticcasamuppada then shows this fabricated object flowing in a whirlpool motion with nama-rupa, whereby the fabricated object becomes the rupa of nama-rupa, which is then further molested (ruppati) by the consistutents of name... feeling, perception, intention, attention and contact. Consciousness is thus no longer eye-consciousness, but mind-consciousness reflecting the nama-rupa (name and form) of the fabricated object, and that vortex, causes further evolution of the name-and-form until it falls apart once attention, as one of the constituents of name, is no longer paid to it.
Rūpa is that which is "molested" by cold, heat, flies etc. In other words, rūpa is that which is physical. We today would call it matter. It is not "molested" by nāma. That is your own distorted reading of both SN 22.79 and DN 15. We can also add SN 47.42 to the list of suttas you have misunderstood and misrepresented. The dhammā spoken of in that sutta and similar ones are the dhammā of the original Satipaṭṭhāna sutta. They are the dhammā of the hindrances and the awakening factors. Those are the dhammā which are tied up with attention. Unwise attention nourishes the hindrances, whilst wise attention starves them and feeds the awakening factors. The Buddha taught what was practical, rather than a convoluted and abstract phenomenology. Furthermore nāmarūpa doesn't fall apart when attention isn't on it. Nāmarūpa is your mentality & physical form. It is what makes "you" you. It is what makes Sujato a liberal, and you right wing. It is what makes me a homosexual and you straight, and so on. Apart from that, attention is part of nāma.
Paticcasamuppada also shows eye-consciousness becoming the basis for salayatana. As mentioned previously, salayatana involves the bifurcation of an internal sense base (which comes later to be known as "me") from an "external sense-base", i.e. the object that eye-consciousness created (which can later come to be known as "mine"). The following steps in paticcasamuppada show the further iterations of that I-making process, which gives rise to identification (jati) as "I".
Eye-consciousness arises dependent upon the sense bases. It can't arise without the sense bases being there. The subject vs object distinction also persists even for Buddhas and Arahants, so it's not something inherently tied up with notions of the atta. Birth also is not the atta notion. The sense of "I" comes from clinging, whilst birth in dependent origination is literally being expelled from the vaginal canal (for a human).
Presumably, but it would be sufficient to know that what is being referred to as an indriya is not a phenomena, nor is it dependent upon avijja. Thus, when the avijja is removed and all fabricated sankharas cease... the arahant isn't left deaf, dumb, numb, blind, mindless and anosmic, as some wags would have it.
No, they aren't. They aren't because ignorance is a direct cause in the way you are painting it here. It is a root condition. On the basis of ignorance there is kammic action, that is to say intentional activity motivated by greed, lust or delusion. When ignorance is abolished and understanding arises the 6 senses still remain, as they are the result of previous action. Once a dhamma has arisen due to conditions, it has to run it's course. When ignorance is gone the awakened individual's consciousness still arises and ceases based on contact, but there is no more kammic activity. There is no more intending towards this or that sign, and so kamma ceases. With the cessation of kamma no name & form can come to be, and so on.
How would one train the eye-faculty, by the way? Eating carrots? Laser-eye surgery?
By not following the signs which arise because of it.
That doesn't sounds compatible with the notion that the Dhamma is about the past and the future, but clearly such preoccupations have captured the minds of many. The Buddha addresses this propensity in a variety of ways in the Brahmajala Sutta (DN1) in which the Buddha says,
Once again, what "visible here and now" relates to if the āsavā are present or not. On the knowledge of their absence, one knows there is nothing else to be done. What exists now will run it's course, growing cold at death. What the ascetics of DN 1 were doing, well some of them, was fabricating an atta and superimposing that onto reality, onto what they were seeing in past lives. They saw a real person, instead of an empty flow of dhammas arising and ceasing due to conditions. The traditional explanation is not comparable to what DN 1 was warning against. The traditional model actually negates it.
The Buddha in DN1, as quoted above.
You said: "In other words, if we conceive of a self (even if we tell ourselves that's not what we're doing) that experiences past and future, or transmigrates to past and future, then by sheer virtue of perceiving that, we're creating phassa, and actually fuelling paticcasamuppada itself through such wrongness."

I asked who is doing that? Who is conceiving a self here? You obviously think the traditional teaching lends itself to that. How?
As I alluded to, "the standard explanation of dependent origination" is derived from the "traditions of scholastic academia". That you conflate it as being one and the same as the Buddha's Dhamma speaks volumes.
The traditional explanation, at it's core, is simply the teaching as laid out in the suttas and other early buddhist texts. All of the known early schools accepted it. What they disagreed on was the details. What was a scholastic development, in different schools, was the idea that the 12-links, well some of them, occur solely as mental events. Essentially what you are trying to argue here. This innovation is your modern re-interpretation. The original is that of dependent origination operating over lifespans.
What's described in the Bahiya Sutta. What is described there is not dependently co-arisen, hence why in this topic we've placed such a focus upon differentiating between salayatana (which is dependently co-arisen), versus the panc'indriyani and "in reference to the seen, there will be only the seen (etc.)" which aren't.
Earlier you argued that the faculties are dependently arisen, albeit not as part of the 12-links. Now you are saying they aren't. Regarding "in the seen, only the seen" I prefer to look at the SN 35.95 (likely the original sutta out of the two). There we are given some more details on what this means. We find the following

“When, firmly mindful, one sees a form,
One is not inflamed by lust for forms;
One experiences it with dispassionate mind
And does not remain holding it tightly.

“One fares mindfully in such a way
That even as one sees the form,
And while one undergoes a feeling,
Suffering is exhausted, not built up.
For one dismantling suffering thus,
Nibbāna is said to be close by.

“When, firmly mindful, one hears a sound,
One is not inflamed by lust for sounds; …
“When, firmly mindful, one smells an odour,
One is not inflamed by lust for odours; …

There is still sense experience happening, in terms of sense objects being cognised by an internal consciousness. What we are supposed to do is remove craving for said sights, sounds etc. It says nothing about not fabricating senses and sense objects.

There was more that I wanted to address from you, but I'll probably write that post tomorrow.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Spiny Norman wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:21 am There are two quite different interpretations of DO here. But I'm curious as to whether they lead people to practice in different ways.
Any examples?
To practice, perfect and master virtue, sense-restraint and the mind so that there can be Jhāna, clear vision and insight. To see the conditionality of life so as to perfect the perceptions of impermanence, suffering in what is impermanent, emptiness of self, and dissatisfaction with the whole world, any world, so that we totally let go. So that at death rebirth-linking doesn't arise because we know that there was never even anyone who was born, let alone someone who dies, and to want this or that is for there to be more of the same empty process. No longer following signs, it can cease without remainder. One of the problems I have wither the alternative interpretations being presented here (among many) is that it suggests that this human existence can somehow be made to be totally dukkha free. That is impossible. You can't make impermanent dhammas be free of dukkha. The Buddha would have none of this silliness. As such I struggle to see how people like Retro can perfect the above perceptions and so question how they could ever fully let go.

“Mendicants, these nine perceptions, when developed and cultivated, are very fruitful and beneficial. They culminate in the deathless and end with the deathless. What nine? The perceptions of ugliness, death, repulsiveness of food, dissatisfaction with the whole world, impermanence, suffering in impermanence, not-self in suffering, giving up, and fading away. These nine perceptions, when developed and cultivated, are very fruitful and beneficial. They culminate in the deathless and end with the deathless.” - AN 9.16
Last edited by Ceisiwr on Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

rekoW wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:38 pm
mikenz66 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:12 pm I think that westerners tend to come with mind-body duality baggage that really doesn't exist in Buddhist thought, so they imagine a dichotomy between a "psychological" and a "physical" model.
You said Buddhism is non-dualitism the same as Hinudism Avdaita Vedanta. If body-mind is non-dualitism so when body get sick mind must get sick. When body of Buddha get sick Buddha mind must get sick if non-dualitism.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I wasn't at all thikning about Avdaita Vedanta non-duality. I was talking about the tendency to separate things into "mental" and "physical". In the suttas, I think that's a quite fuzzy. For example, it's hard to classify vedana as a purely mental or a purely physical thing, similar for rupa, which is sometimes quite physical, and sometimes more mental (the forms we perceive with our eyes or our imagination).

Mike
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

retrofuturist wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:36 pm
AN 4.157 wrote:It’s very hard to find any sentient beings in the world who can claim to be free of mental illness even for a moment, apart from those who have ended the defilements.
It would be folly to expect it to be otherwise. It is the reason a Buddha does not argue with the world. Smart man.
Well said. While forums such as this can be a useful source of information, it's best to take any post with a large grain of salt.

Mike
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

PeterC86 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:03 am If the buddhadhamma is misunderstood, this will lead to a view not in line with the buddhadhamma, which will lead to a practice not in line with the buddhadhamma, which will not lead to the cessation of suffering, instead it will bring more suffering, beyond the ability of the mind to oversee.

Hence the importance of a right understanding of the buddhadhamma. The buddha explained the buddhadhamma for us to understand. However, because the buddhadhamma leads to a point that reaches the extent of language, i.e. dissolving of dualities; Nibbana; the unconditioned, as such, can not be reached through sheer reasoning. Therefore, it serves no use to discuss Nibbana. But what can be logically understood, is the workings of DO, which is the heart of the buddhadhamma, and the 'way' to Nibbana.

Hence the importance of a right understanding of DO, if one is set on Nibbana. The widespread explanation of DO in the West, arrived at by scholars and scholarly Theravada and Mahayana monks, might be widespread, but this doesn't say anything about the explanation being in accordance with the buddhadhamma.
If you mean the traditional teaching of dependent origination as spanning lifetimes when you say the "widespread explanation of DO in the West" it wasn't arrived at by later scholasticism. Rather it is already there in the suttas, from the earliest of times. This is why all early schools accepted it, then expanding upon it. What is later scholasticism is collapsing some of the links into a mind moment.
More so, the translation of the Pali texts to English by those same scholarly monks, is automatically conformed by their understanding of those texts. So if their understanding is not in line with the buddhadhamma, their translation of certain suttas will not be in line with the buddhadhamma.
Or, rather, the ancient sangha knew the language better. Modern academia also very rarely departs from the standard definitions. If you want to argue that x translation is wrong that is fine, but you better back up your reasons as to why based on the language itself rather than from a pre-conceived view of what it should be saying.
Even more so, these texts are based on what is believed to be what Buddha said, although these texts are based on the words of a community of monks after the first schism in the sangha. Now maybe these texts were on the right understanding side of the buddhadhamma after the schism, but maybe they are not. Hence the importance of reflecting on those texts in one's reality, as they can not be outrightly trusted as being the actual Buddha's words, if one is serious about this 'stuff'.
The traditional explanation was there before the first schism, since the Mahāsāṃghika accepted it. If we were to point to an original teaching, the multi-life model of dependent origination would be right up there.
So finally, roughly, there are two understandings of DO in the way it is presented, that one can arrive at.

First, the chain of DO is understood to be a physical process. This entails what most Theravada monks, including translators such as Bodhi and the like, and some scholars, arrive at. Which seems a plausible conclusion if one studies the Pali Canon. The Pali Canon of the Theravada sect explains DO as being physical, hence the importance of transmigration, kamma, N8FP, Vinaya, and so forth. However, as explained previously, the Pali Canon can not be outrightly trusted as being the actual Buddha's words. So instead of blindly trusting the entire Suttapitaka, it seems wise to reflect upon this explanation of DO in our experience, if one is trying to get to the heart of the buddhadhamma. Some people resort to faith, which is fine with me.
It isn't simply a physical process. It is the conditionality between physical and immaterial dhammas. I'm glad though you admit that the standard view is indeed in the suttas however, contrary to the claims of Retro. What you haven't taken into account is that said teaching isn't a sectarian quirk of the Theravādins. Rather it is found in all known early schools. This makes it doubtful that said presentation in the suttas is a later distortion.
If one is reflecting upon the previous understanding, one can come to realize that such an understanding would entail that some kind of intention preceded and is the cause of life, life is intrinsically seen as suffering, cessation of suffering can not be arrived at in the here-and-now, one needs to believe in transmigration, and this transmigration is to be believed to just have happened at some point in time, although everything, including intention and actions, is understood as anatta, somehow there is a distinction made between right and wrong behaviour, and the N8FP is based upon this assumed distinction between right and wrong, although everything is anatta, regardless, this N8FP path is assumed to lead to the cessation of suffering, although this would entail the dissolving of life itself, but somehow it is believed that the Buddha was able to discern after exhaling his last breath that he was released, or he had foreseen it. Well, that is one understanding.
This is a tad bit rambling, but you are right in a way on some things. Kamma, that is to say intention infused with the āsavā, is a condition for the life you and I have now. Life is indeed intrinsically suffering. How can it not be Peter? Do you really think there can be life with no suffering at all? How is that not a delusion? Regarding the cessation of suffering, when the āsavā go out the 2nd dart never arises again. At death, both darts finally cease. In the in-between period there is still the dukkha of the body and mind, as it is the result of previous action. It is already here. You can't just abolish it with scepticism. That too is a delusion. Having arisen the body depends upon food, and other requirements. When those cease, the body ceases. For the awakened it is the final body which dies, the dying embers of aeons of conditionality coming to an end. For people like you and I, another one arises again. The Buddha knew there was no more life to come because he saw the conditionality of life.

The second understanding would be that DO is understood to be a mental process, where DO is seen as an identification process through which the self is mentally born and dies. This means that everything that is to be regarded as existing or non-existing is based upon interpretation of the mind of the sense-bases. This understanding of DO necessarily entails that nothing can ultimately be known, and all cognition is merely conventional. So one needs to be ready to let go of all assumed knowledge. It is a mental dissolving, so no 'right' or 'wrong' behaviour is discerned, and there is no practice. This understanding is achieved through contemplation. This understanding is in line with the teachings of Nagarjuna, but it is not in line with the teachings in the Pali Canon surrounding the outlining of DO.
According to the earliest texts, and shared amongst all known early schools, birth is not the mental notions of a self. Rather the non-schismatic shared understanding is that birth in dependent origination is literally being born. You can't get away from this Peter. You are also, once again, proposing that this vale of tears can somehow be made perfect. As for Venerable Nāgārjuna, he accepted that dependent origination encompassed lives. He accepted that birth meant being literally born. That is how it is to be understood, regardless of it is merely a concept or an ultimate reality.
They can not both be right, hence the importance of critically investigating the teachings for those who seek cessation of suffering, as explained above. Liberation of suffering as explained by both understandings necessarily differs to. Still, only one leads to actual cessation of suffering, but according to one understanding this cessation might happen in some 'future life'.
On the traditional view the cessation of suffering happens now, since upon awakening the 2nd dart ceases and, at death, there will be no more suffering. It will not come to be.
Alternatively, one can resort to faith. But if one resorts to faith, hanging around on a forum where people critically and logically investigate the teachings, might not be a satisfying experience. For them it might be more satisfying to join a community with likeminded people, like a monastic one.
So far you, the sceptic, is the one struggling here.
Last edited by Ceisiwr on Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.