Separated by a window

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
mjaviem

Separated by a window

Post by mjaviem »

The read of SN 38.16 is like two worlds separated by a window. You can see where we are: We are in this side of the glass panel. And you can see where the Noble ones are, they are in the other side of it.

On this side we find delight in big as well as in trifle things. We don't practise as well as we should which is to practise in accordance with the Dhamma. And it's very hard for us to go forth if we are sincere with ourselves. And we can see on the other side of the window that those who are gone forth are practising well and they barely find delight in anything. They are getting it and it's turning very difficult for them to find delight. Arahantship is not too far for them.

I used to not care much whether my coffee or tee had sugar in it or not. It really didn't matter because I was drinking something hot for the sake of it and just that. I think this is one of those trifle things that can show us moments when we are practising well and even the results of practising well can be seen.

Ok, I don't know, just a thread to express what I think. And to recommend the whole series of suttas in SN 38.

Practise well DW friends, death is coming very fast for those in this side of the window. :candle:
Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammā Sambuddhassa