Ok buddhism is true but my reaction is depression

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
jc1990

Re: Ok buddhism is true but my reaction is depression

Post by jc1990 »

Hi MrLearner, do you keep sila?
Strive4Karuna

Post by Strive4Karuna »

MrLearner wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:44 am Hello everyone,
So I have been questioning buddhism for a while now and come to realise infact it is the truth. However my reaction is depression. I feel like this worldly things are useless but this makes me depressed and not energetic to find liberation . I hope you all understand my question. I mean after realising buddhism is true i feel there are 2 paths.

1. Do meditation and find liberation
2. Be really depressed, ask yourself what is the point of life when it is suffering,why even try anything? Funny thing is i have wisdom to understand everything is temporary but this has made me depressed rather thab trying to find liberation.

I have fallen to path 2 unfortunately. How do I overcome path 2 and go to path 1. Thank you.
You are right there are only 2 paths. Up or down. Up to you.

But let me tell you this, I don’t know how much you’ve suffered in this lifetime, trust me, being born as a human being, like a lifelong all expenses paid Vacation compared to where you could be.

And that is an Understatement. I’m not even joking.

And you know when I said Up or DOWN. I’ll tell you this, it’s real easy to go DOWN, SO EASY. Just go with the flow and that flow will lead you straight to hell.

Maybe back to heaven again in another lifetime, then straight down to hell again.

Samsara is LONG Buddy.
dhammapal

Post by dhammapal »

Thanissaro Bhikkhu wrote:
Then there will be part of the mind that says, “I don’t want to think about [Buddhism right now] because it means I’ve been acting unskillfully in the past, and it just hurts too much to think about that.” That’s where the Buddha recommends developing the right attitude toward your past mistakes. It’s not inevitable that you’re going to have to suffer a lot from your past mistakes. As the Buddha said, if you can develop an attitude of limitless goodwill [metta], compassion, empathetic joy, and equanimity, that’ll mitigate the results of your past bad actions. If you can train yourself so that the mind isn’t overcome by pleasure, isn’t overcome by pain — in other words, you don’t let these feelings get in the way of your seeing what’s actually going on — then again, the mind is immune, or at least the results of your past mistakes will be mitigated. So the proper attitude to have toward your past bad actions is, one, realize that remorse is not going to undo them. Simply make the resolve that you’re not going to repeat those actions again. And then, two, try to develop attitudes of limitless goodwill, compassion, empathetic joy, and equanimity.

iddhi

Post by iddhi »

Buddhism does NOT say that "Life is Suffering"! It clearly says that dukkha (stress, what you are translating as suffering) can be extinguished in this lifetime without resort to divine or supernatural forces. If you are suffering, it is because of "craving" (tanha, 2nd NT). So if you really want to put Buddhism in practice, find out what you are craving. Keep in mind that "craving nothing" (vibhavatanha) is still a form of craving that will cause stress. Good luck!
Pasindu

Post by Pasindu »

MrLearner wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:23 pm Hey thanks for all the replies. I think before i reply to any i have to clarify the first noble truth

1. Life is suffering
Does this mean there is absolutely no possible way to have a world without suffering. What if I was reborn into realms of devas, wouldn't their world be without suffering. Why would the gods want enlightenment when there world has no suffering. If deva world is also suffering, does that mean too much happiness also causes suffering? Sorry if this was a stupid question.
Hi! Heaven is full of luxuries, and its gods luxurious. They do not tire, they do not sweat, they do not need to make money. But all those things are physical luxuries. Which are far inferior compared to mental luxuries.
Even gods have feelings such as jealousy, anger, fear. This is because all gods are not made alike, or with equal luxuries. Even in heaven there is hierarchy. So gods not being enlightened, these feelings are inevitable. And heaven is not peaceful all the time. Even in heaven there are wars. Proof for this can be found in Dhajagga sutta.
https://suttacentral.net/sn11.3/en/bod ... ght=false
And most importantly, being a god does not mean you are free from hell.

For your original question, with all respect, I don't think you fully understand the suffering. Buddha ​has adviced to practice dharma with the urgancy of a person working to extinguish fire from his head. Because Buddha understood the suffering. The question is, if your head actually were to catch fire, would you have the same "what's the point" attitude toward ending that suffering as well?

Also, impermanance works both ways. Suffering is not permanant either. Buddha never said that everything is suffering 24/7. If that was true, we should be crying all the time and everyone will be determined to end this suffering and nobody will wish for worldly things. He only said that even the luxurious things will ultimately lead to suffering if you are attached to them. Which is why he could live in luxurious temples and remote jungles with equal comfort, as he was not attached.

Human world is an ideal place to attain enlightenment because unlike heaven, it often gives us enough suffering to show the true form of samsara and unlike hell, gives us enough comfort to sit down and contemplate it.
I wish you good luck! :candle: