10 precept female ordination

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Suvira

Re: 10 precept female ordination

Post by Suvira »

But why then the need called woman who observe ten precepts a nun ? :thinking:
As a bhikkhuni, I think it's sometimes easiest to avoid the English word nun entirely, and just use the correct Pali or local term e g. bhikkhuni, mae chee, etc. The English word "nun" can add a layer of confusion to an already confused issue.

Observing ten precepts isn't actually the defining characteristic of going forth. There are some women who keep ten precepts at home who wouldn't normally be called nuns in any sense at all.
asahi

Post by asahi »

Suvira wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:45 am
But why then the need called woman who observe ten precepts a nun ? :thinking:
As a bhikkhuni, I think it's sometimes easiest to avoid the English word nun entirely, and just use the correct Pali or local term e g. bhikkhuni, mae chee, etc. The English word "nun" can add a layer of confusion to an already confused issue.

Observing ten precepts isn't actually the defining characteristic of going forth. There are some women who keep ten precepts at home who wouldn't normally be called nuns in any sense at all.
I understand but the OP was enquiring ,

[/quote]
Do you know good monasteries whitin Theravada where it is possible for a female to ordain as a 10 precept nun? Not 8 precept and not Bhikkhuni ordination.[/quote]

Thus , it seems she was asking to get ordain as a nun !
No bashing No gossiping
Suvira

Post by Suvira »

asahi wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:56 am Thus , it seems she was asking to get ordain as a nun !
At at least some ten-precept places, the nuns act as donors to the monks in respect of things like robe offering and meal offering.

I have seen video of this from Myanmar from a well-known, large, reputable meditation centre.

I don't want to crush anyone's dreams, but if people think they are going to have a uniform experience of being treated as a proper renunciate as a ten-precept nun, they should think very seriously about their options.

Proper renunciate women don't offer robes to monks, they don't head up the queue of meal donors. They receive dana in their own right.

At some places, the thilashins even walk behind the laymen.

At some thilashin places, there is no concept of monastic seniority: the line is arranged by age.

This is what places will ADMIT to doing. There is also what places WON'T admit or show publicly: the fact that outside of the "good" centres, ten precept nuns and nuns in general are often seen as kitchen or admin aid only, often have limited accommodation options (and may have to pay rent for what they can find), and may be left out of temple donations to seek private support [this stuff may sometimes happen at the "good" places too...but you aren't going to see it on the brochure].

The reason this system works at all is mostly because of the relatives of nuns sending $$$.

There is a reason the bhikkhuni revival happened folks.
asahi

Post by asahi »

Suvira wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:30 am At at least some ten-precept places, the nuns act as donors to the monks in respect of things like robe offering and meal offering.

Proper renunciate women don't offer robes to monks, they don't head up the queue of meal donors. They receive dana in their own right.
Do you mean proper renunciate like samaneri & bhikkhuni ?

Suvira wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:30 am At some places, the thilashins even walk behind the laymen.
I am not sure if you means when doing almsround ?

Suvira wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:30 am At some thilashin places, there is no concept of monastic seniority: the line is arranged by age.

This is what places will ADMIT to doing. There is also what places WON'T admit or show publicly: the fact that outside of the "good" centres, ten precept nuns and nuns in general are often seen as kitchen or admin aid only, often have limited accommodation options (and may have to pay rent for what they can find), and may be left out of temple donations to seek private support [this stuff may sometimes happen at the "good" places too...but you aren't going to see it on the brochure].

The reason this system works at all is mostly because of the relatives of nuns sending $$$.

There is a reason the bhikkhuni revival happened folks.
Screenshot_20221012-184642_Chrome.jpg
No bashing No gossiping