What does Brahma carry in his hands in Buddhist tradition?

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
thomaslaw

Re: What does Brahma carry in his hands in Buddhist tradition?

Post by thomaslaw »

Johann wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:06 am The tradition of pulling Sublime into households, ways of identification, is common. Sure, the original teaching arrived about 100 years before, but got occupied. Here another famous temple of actually Ariya-gods: Bayon.
According to the website provided, the Bayon temple is not yet being concluded as worshiping Ariya-gods or Brhama (or Buddha)!?
tamdrin

Re: What does Brahma carry in his hands in Buddhist tradition?

Post by tamdrin »

I've been sort of interested in brahma since living in Thailand and seeing his statues everywhere. I also read a lot about being reborn in the brahma loka in different texts. On a recent trip to Bangkok I visited the Erawam shrine which houses the most famous brahma statue in Bangkok. I participated in the rituals which are offering flowers and incense. Most people pray for money. It's custom to offer brahma dances if your wish is fulfilled. For this purpose there is a group of beautiful Thai ladies dressed in costumes resembling deities which you can buy to offer the lord his dance. I read that if you don't do this then something unfortunate may befall you. This possibility of punishment makes it really sound like a worldly deity.