Is Buddhist and Hindu non attachment different?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Gami47

Is Buddhist and Hindu non attachment different?

Post by Gami47 »

:namaste:
Ceisiwr

Re: Is Buddhist and Hindu non attachment different?

Post by Ceisiwr »

Gami47 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:50 pm:namaste:
Up to a point. In terms of sensual pleasures, yes. The Buddha was the first one to gain insight into their drawbacks, even when he was alive.
“The teacher willed that this world appear to me
as impermanent, unstable, insubstantial.
Mind, let me leap into the victor’s teaching,
carry me over the great flood, so hard to pass.”
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Ceisiwr wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:08 pm
Up to a point. In terms of sensual pleasures, yes. The Buddha was the first one to gain insight into their drawbacks, even when he was alive.
Agree.
Buddha talked about the attachment to five clinging-aggregate. (Rupa, vedana etc.)
With my limited knowledge, Hinduism and other religions are talking about attachment to sensuality only.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

Both, buddhist and hindu, are alien to my native culture, so how should I be able to judge?
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

MN 11 gives some insight into how the Buddha considered his teaching to be different from those of other ascetics:
Though certain recluses and brahmans claim to propound the full understanding of all kinds of clinging... they describe the full understanding of clinging to sensual pleasures, clinging to views, and clinging to rules and observances without describing the full understanding of clinging to a doctrine of self. They do not understand one instance... therefore they describe only the full understanding of clinging to sensual pleasures, clinging to views, and clinging to rules and observances without describing the full understanding of clinging to a doctrine of self
So the key point here is that Buddhism addresses clinging or attachment to a doctrine of self, whereas other doctrines didn't. It's worth noting that Hinduism developed a good deal after the canon was put together, but I guess this remains a key difference
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Sam Vara wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:43 pm MN 11 gives some insight into how the Buddha considered his teaching to be different from those of other ascetics:
Though certain recluses and brahmans claim to propound the full understanding of all kinds of clinging... they describe the full understanding of clinging to sensual pleasures, clinging to views, and clinging to rules and observances without describing the full understanding of clinging to a doctrine of self. They do not understand one instance... therefore they describe only the full understanding of clinging to sensual pleasures, clinging to views, and clinging to rules and observances without describing the full understanding of clinging to a doctrine of self
So the key point here is that Buddhism addresses clinging or attachment to a doctrine of self, whereas other doctrines didn't. It's worth noting that Hinduism developed a good deal after the canon was put together, but I guess this remains a key difference
:goodpost:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”