Angels writing

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
mario92

Angels writing

Post by mario92 »

Hello all some years ago i read the Quran and it says that every time you do a good deed a deva writes it in golden leaf, then i read another ancient buddhist book of Phra Malai and it also said that devas write your good and bad deeds. What is your opinion? Thank you.
Bundokji

Re: Angels writing

Post by Bundokji »

Hi mario92,

It would be great if you could quote the exact texts from the Quran and the Buddhist book you referred to. Either way, it is a common belief among Muslims that there are two angels that record good and bad deeds. The one on the right shoulder records good deeds and the one on the left shoulder records bad deeds. If the balance is positive you go to a higher realm (jhana) and if the balance is negative you go to a lower realm (hell).

I would not be surprised if there is a Buddhist version of the above. Buddhism and Islam are very similar in describing Kamma loka. The difference is that Buddhism does not believe in a creator god, whereas Muslims believe Allah to be the highest or the ultimate.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Bundokji wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:56 am The difference is that Buddhism does not believe in a creator god
Mahābrahmā

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brahm%C4%81_(Buddhism)
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

mario92 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:45 am Hello all some years ago i read the Quran and it says that every time you do a good deed a deva writes it in golden leaf, then i read another ancient buddhist book of Phra Malai and it also said that devas write your good and bad deeds. What is your opinion? Thank you.
Perhaps this is the pre-Budddhist beleif in Kamma.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Johann

Post by Johann »

mario92 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:45 am Hello all some years ago i read the Quran and it says that every time you do a good deed a deva writes it in golden leaf, then i read another ancient buddhist book of Phra Malai and it also said that devas write your good and bad deeds. What is your opinion? Thank you.
The Sublime Buddha told that Sakka the King, all two weeks, sends Devas down to earth to report about the current behaviour of humans. So yes, they collect reports about your deeds and they count therefore as the governing principle "world" of whom one should not fail to be aware.

May one always take care as "big good brothers" are watching all around yours, good householder, the more those gone forth.
mario92

Post by mario92 »

Johann wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:16 am
The Sublime Buddha told that Sakka the King, all two weeks, sends Devas down to earth to report about the current behaviour of humans. So yes, they collect reports about your deeds and they count therefore as the governing principle "world" of whom one should not fail to be aware.

May one always take care as "big good brothers" are watching all around yours, good householder, the more those gone forth.
Thank you venerable monk
Kusala

Post by Kusala »

Have you heard of Ajahn Achalo? Pretty interesting stuff @30:19 - 34:11

"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "
mario92

Post by mario92 »

Thank you all :) :namaste:
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

Medieval Christian folklore, also older first century Palestinian narratives, are likewise.

I personally believe that Phra Malai is a cultural remembrance of Jizō Bosatsu. Mileage may vary.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
SonGoku

Post by SonGoku »

cappuccino wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:00 am
Bundokji wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:56 am The difference is that Buddhism does not believe in a creator god
Mahābrahmā

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brahm%C4%81_(Buddhism)
There are beings come time to time they think, "I'm the creator" in reality they are not

Read Brahmajala sutta 2. Partial-Eternalism (Ekaccasassatavāda): Views 5–8w
https://suttacentral.net/dn1/en/bodhi?r ... ight=false
Pasindu

Post by Pasindu »