Jhana practise takes long long time

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
confusedlayman

Jhana practise takes long long time

Post by confusedlayman »

attaining mastery of jhana takes long practice so dont put deadline. Just practice without any expectation.
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
NotMe

Re: Jhana practise takes long long time

Post by NotMe »

confusedlayman wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 4:05 am attaining mastery of jhana takes long practice so dont put deadline. Just practice without any expectation.
A tiny blip on the radar, er tick of the clock, considering our time spent circling samsara. Time IS relative - e=mc squared and all that number stuff.

:anjali:

edit to add: At my very first visit to a *real* Thai monastery, I hadn't even gotten out of the car all the way. A Monk freaked out! "How Old are YOU?"

I looked at my Thai guide, he nodded, so I did the cute curtsey thing like he taught me, mumbled some Pali, and said, "I am either the age of the cosmos, or in this life - 50." My Thai guide laughed and said some mumbo-jumbo to the quizzical monk. Then the Monk ROFL'ed. I had really long white hair then too.

My grandfather Lee had white hair at age 15 or so, was confusing people at the train station in Newton Ks, "Who is that spry old man sweeping the floor?"

That was many years ago for both of us.

Time is relative - anyway you look at it.
analysis

Post by analysis »

Jhanas are considered unattainable until one eliminates the delusion that covers the drawbacks of kāma (sensual pleasures).

Or in other words one has to gain the wisdom that uncovers the drawbacks of kāma before he attain Jhanas.

This is shown in many suttas.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

analysis wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:30 pm Jhanas are considered unattainable until one eliminates the delusion that covers the drawbacks of kāma (sensual pleasures).

Or in other words one has to gain the wisdom that uncovers the drawbacks of kāma before he attain Jhanas.

It can be attained by devadatta how?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
User13866

Post by User13866 »

Doesn't necessarily take a long time in good conditions.

I think that if the place was suitable, food was suitable, the person wasn't confused, neither working much nor misbehaving, without quarrels nor worries about relatives, if in one month he didn't get jhana id be rather shocked.

Idk about mastery but i suppose if conditions remain favorable for 6-12 months then some mastery can be expected.
analysis

Post by analysis »

confusedlayman wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:31 pm
analysis wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:30 pm Jhanas are considered unattainable until one eliminates the delusion that covers the drawbacks of kāma (sensual pleasures).

It can be attained by devadatta how?
That is before the kāma thoughts arose in him.

As soon as kāma thoughts arose in him, he had considered felt down from all the jhanas and iddhis.