Feeding the hungry ghosts, ancestor, duty days

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Johann

Feeding the hungry ghosts, ancestor, duty days

Post by Johann »

Maybe less of yours are aware of the tradtion of two weeks dedicating merits to "feed the former relatives" who dwell in the hungry ghost realms.

This tradition goes back to a King at the Buddhas time, and Ven. Moggolana, who helped a former mother of his the gain a better stand. Althought different names, the fest, now half over, and highlight next Uposatha, is observed in nearly all traditional countries in southeast Asia but also in south China (here a month before, following different seasons).

At least here, at this time, the whole country uses the time when rice grows itself, to take care of their former relatives, those fallen in bad states, all over, not wishing to have missed any or any place, lnowing clear such situations are also not out of range for themselves. Those days are called here "holding on alms-giving" and the main fest "meeting together to give alms"

Not only one of a householders duty out of gratitude, but also for his own base later on. It's not sure where to arise next and no conditions given, not proper practiced, a hungry life without any caring can be very, very long.

Don't one miss out the bases, don't one miss right view and devoted in gratitude for one's way upwardly and possibility to progress.
mario92

Re: Feeding the hungry ghosts, ancestor, duty days

Post by mario92 »

Good tradition venerable, in my country they try also to feed the hungry ghost, they set food and things they like in a special altar the 2nd of November with a photo of the person, its called day of the dead. Also originally Halloween was made to feed hungry spirits but it became more like trick or treat stuff. I try also to dedicate it every giving to the sangha to the my dead family.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

My sister cried when a person kept food outside the house to the hungry ghost when my mother died saying " that my mother will never become a hungry ghost as she was that good"
However we still extend merits to our departed relatives.
I think this is a modification of worshipping the dead in a Buddhist way.
:D
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
mario92

Post by mario92 »

SarathW wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:20 am My sister cried when a person kept food outside the house to the hungry ghost when my mother died saying " that my mother will never become a hungry ghost as she was that good"
However we still extend merits to our departed relatives.
I think this is a modification of worshipping the dead in a Buddhist way.
:D
Good story Sarath i usually like to watch ghost stories in the tv also. I also like pettavathu book.
Eko Care

Post by Eko Care »

Even if the intended relatives don't exist in the Pradattupajivi realm, the merit given is not wasted, according to Khuddhakapatha.

Because there are many more other relatives of the giver (in long samsara) are there, and the initial merit (dana to sangha etc) is already there.
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Whenever I did a meritorious deed (worshipping the triple gems, Sangha Dana, recitation of Suttas, offering incense to the Buddharupa, etc), I always dedicate the merits to the departed relatives, along with all Devas and Brahmas.

There are a few Devas I will specially mention during my dedication speech: Sakka Devaraja, Vessavana Maharaja, Asurinda Rahu, Yama raja, and Garulas. Just my preference.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false