Backdraft

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
befriend

Backdraft

Post by befriend »

Does anyone know of passages in books or monks talking about "backdraft" from practicing mindfulness. Backdraft is how you feel sometime after youve done a mindfulness session and it stirs up the defilements, then you be aware of the defilements that have come up for me it's usually feelings in the body or anger then the inherent discriminate wisdom of awareness knows to let go of the defilement. I'd really like to learn more about this.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
Pasindu

Re: Backdraft

Post by Pasindu »

befriend wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:26 pm Does anyone know of passages in books or monks talking about "backdraft" from practicing mindfulness. Backdraft is how you feel sometime after youve done a mindfulness session and it stirs up the defilements, then you be aware of the defilements that have come up for me it's usually feelings in the body or anger then the inherent discriminate wisdom of awareness knows to let go of the defilement. I'd really like to learn more about this.
Cittanupassana meditation in Sathipattana????
Perception of the True Nature of Mind
381. Bhikkhus, how does the bhikkhu concentrate steadfastly on the mind?[48]

Bhikkhus, the bhikkhu following my Teaching knows[49] the mind accompanied by passion,[50] as 'Mind with passion'; he knows the mind unaccompanied by passion, as 'Mind without passion'; he also knows the mind accompanied by anger,[51] as 'Mind with anger'; he also knows the mind unaccompanied by anger, as 'Mind without anger'; he also knows the mind accompanied by bewilderment,[52] as 'Mind with bewilderment'; he also knows the mind unaccompanied by bewilderment, as 'Mind without bewilderment'; he also knows the indolent state of mind,[53] as 'Indolent state of mind'; he also knows the distracted state of mind,[54] as 'Distracted state of mind'; he also knows the developed state of mind,[55] as 'Developed state of mind'; he also knows the undeveloped state of mind,[56] as 'Undeveloped state of mind': he also knows the inferior state of mind, as 'Inferior state of mind'; he also knows the superior state of mind,[57] as 'Superior state of mind'; he also knows the mind in a state of concentration,[58] as 'Mind in a state of concentration'; he also knows the mind not in a state of concentration,[59] as 'Mind not in a state of concentration'; he also knows 'the liberated state of mind,[60] as 'Liberated state of mind'; he also knows the unliberated state of mind,[61] as 'Unliberated state of mind'.

Thus the bhikkhu concentrates steadfastly on his own mind.[62] Occasionally he realizes that the mind of others must be of a similar nature. Because of this realization, he can be said to concentrate steadfastly on the mind of others. In this way, he is considered to concentrate steadfastly on his own mind or on the mind of others. When he gains more concentration, he perceives the cause and the actual appearing of the mind. He also perceives the cause and the actual dissolution of the mind. He also perceives both the actual appearing and the actual dissolution of the mind, with their causes.[63] And further, the bhikkhu is firmly mindful of the fact that there is only Mind (without soul or atta). That mindfulness is solely for gaining insights progressively, solely for gaining further mindfulness stage by stage. The bhikkhu remains detached from craving and wrong views, without clinging to any of the five khandhas that are continuously deteriorating. Bhikkhus, it is also in this way that the bhikkhu concentrates steadfastly on the mind perceiving its true nature.

[End of "Perception of the True Nature of Mind"]
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .bpit.html
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

I'm fairly sure that backdraft is a term from fighting fires and the name of a movie.
lavantien

Post by lavantien »

befriend wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:26 pm Backdraft is how you feel sometime after youve done a mindfulness session and it stirs up the defilements
If you practice mindfulness correctly, you won't stir up the defilements, but disperses and settles them.
https://suttacentral.net/sn54.9 wrote: In the last month of summer, when the dust and dirt is stirred up, a large sudden storm disperses and settles it on the spot.

In the same way, when this immersion due to mindfulness of breathing is developed and cultivated it’s peaceful and sublime, a deliciously pleasant meditation. And it disperses and settles unskillful qualities on the spot whenever they arise.
"Then the Teacher, being sympathetic, and having compassion for the whole world,
said to me, “Come, monk!” That was my ordination.
Staying alone in the wilderness, meditating tirelessly,
I have completed what the Teacher taught, just as the victor advised me.

In the first watch of the night, I recollected my past lives.
In the middle watch of the night, I purified my clairvoyance.
In the last watch of the night, I shattered the mass of darkness."
- KN Thag 12.2
befriend

Post by befriend »

Great, thank you 😀
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.