Chanting

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Ceisiwr

Chanting

Post by Ceisiwr »

How often do you chant, and do you do it in Pāli or English or Both?
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
TRobinson465

Re: Chanting

Post by TRobinson465 »

Everyday. In Pali.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

always before the meditation session..

preliminary homage
the 3 refuges
and the 5 precepts

in Portuguese and in Pali

Sunday and full moon nights I try to do a longer 30 minute puja

:anjali:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

On retreats, at the monastery, and very very quietly in Zoom sessions.

I've never got a lot out of it, and having a sarcastic 14 year old daughter is a big disincentive.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Sam Vara wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:58 pm On retreats, at the monastery, and very very quietly in Zoom sessions.

I've never got a lot out of it, and having a sarcastic 14 year old daughter is a big disincentive.
Apart from Zoom this is me, but I'm looking to do it more often. I do quite enjoy it, especially in Pāli.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:25 pm
Sam Vara wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:58 pm On retreats, at the monastery, and very very quietly in Zoom sessions.

Apart from Zoom this is me, but I'm looking to do it more often. I do quite enjoy it, especially in Pāli.
Interesting little anecdotoid. A Pali chanting group started up at Cambridge Uni; it was based around the Samatha group and the Uni Buddhist Society, but open to all. Gradually the numbers dwindled, until they were down to a hard core of 3. They took it very seriously, and loved doing it. I've met two of them, and they really are excellent. One day they realised that the three of them were all language dons.
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

Sam Vara wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:58 pm
the example of parents is very important in the education of young people
Ceisiwr wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:25 pm
This is your brain on prayer and meditation
How does the ritual, regardless of personal faith or intention, affect our behavior? Deeply, experts say.
https://www.nbcnews.com/better/health/y ... ncna812376
:namaste:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:08 pm How often do you chant, and do you do it in Pāli or English or Both?
I chant in kanbun Japanese and Chinese. I try to get at least the morning in, preferably the morning and evening chanting.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
asahi

Post by asahi »

In the past quite often but recently i seldom do chantings but if i do , sometimes in chinese , pali or english . I learn a little of pali recently . Probably i will starts again . Most of the times just reads aloud .
No bashing No gossiping
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

Lucas Oliveira wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:56 pm
the example of parents is very important in the education of young people
I think I didn't express myself well.

what I meant to say is that when children see their parents doing some religious practice, it can have a very positive influence on the future of young people.

:namaste:

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:08 pm How often do you chant, and do you do it in Pāli or English or Both?
I chanted in both Pali and English when I was involved in the Thai Forest tradition.
I found the Pali chanting helpful in developing greater familiarity with the language, though the English chanting seemed better for developing a greater familiarity with the teachings.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Spiny Norman wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:56 am
I chanted in both Pali and English when I was involved in the Thai Forest tradition.
I found the Pali chanting helpful in developing greater familiarity with the language, though the English chanting seemed better for developing a greater familiarity with the teachings.
When I do it I chant in Pali, but have the English translations next to it.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Ceisiwr wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:57 am
Spiny Norman wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:56 am
When I do it I chant in Pali, but have the English translations next to it.
Sure.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
User13866

Post by User13866 »

It's not something i do much but i do it occasionally. I know the Ratana Sutta in pali and it's the only one i can do in pali. I do it mostly to gladden myself & possibly others who might hear and i would do it if i need some miracle or if non-humans are disturbing.

Other than this I've more or less memorized the excerpts i've been posting here year after year. It has happened that i would recite this.

For me the pali fades from mind quickly if not recited and it's not something i am spending much time on.
mjaviem

Post by mjaviem »

Ceisiwr wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:57 am When I do it I chant in Pali, but have the English translations next to it.
I think the idea of chanting is to be able to recite suttas from memory. Am I right? Not to engage in music enjoyment or cling to a ritual but to memorize the suttas. Correct?
Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammā Sambuddhassa