A brief history of Buddhist internet forums

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Johann

Re: A brief history of Buddhist internet forums

Post by Johann »

Radix wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:12 pm
The internet and social media are creating an illusion of "contact with the Dhamma". While through the internet, many people can indeed be reached, the quality of such contact is extremely low, and misleading.
See, good householder, no need to give something to grasp for those not total blind. They wouldn't grasp just wrong views and feed improper attention. Don't the wise waste time in out lands. Even if have reached the path, fast are possibilities to complete the task gone and not less in this realm seek finally escape in suicide, finding themselves eternally cut off, nobody next to help them out of the hole they digged themselves.

How ever, there is contact and exchange which is of benefit: either on oneside or both sides purified.

mudita
Johann

Post by Johann »

cappuccino wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:16 pm you don’t need a living teacher

Buddha is the teacher
It will hopefully not cause to much trouble if informed that the Sublime Buddha passed away since long and if one hasn't met his heirs, one actually has no teacher. Scriptdealer aren't heirs, good householder, can, do never teach within this Dhamma-Vinaya.
Johann

Post by Johann »

retrofuturist wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:43 am Greetings,
Radix wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:21 am
cappuccino wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:04 pm Speak for yourself
Then why your :shrug: earlier?
I suspect the "speak for yourself" had more to do with your comment "It's not possible to build a life on Buddhism while there is uncertainty about such a central thing as whether you'd be accepted as a student or not."

I don't recall ever seeing such a criteria specified in the Suttas, which casts questions upon its "centrality". Maybe it is "central" only for you?

:shrug:

Metta,
Paul. :)
Strange then, that yours assume on the other hand a Pabbajito, having taken, been given, going forth, robes, isn't related, while oneself not only occupy the Gems domain, but also feel in charge and given to even physical disrobe gone forth, censure and harm them, lure monks to adopt common ways.

Didn't yours not already did enough damage, trade and harm, while disregard Brahmans, Samanas, the Gods, and leader of your clan?

Not only one yours was suggested to really undergoes what merits, but yours prever to assume that not supportive for your welfare approaches.

How can yours be even able to attain only one of the six basics reflections release?

Ignorant, even in front of most beloved, parents, Arahat, the common person is able to conduct in most worse manners, harms, kills, breaks apart, and usually doesn't do such for the first time, but even in previous existence.

One can not imagen the reach of those really grown independent, far off any home and stand.
Johann

Post by Johann »

There is, was, to approach again, not as single western forum, in outer lands, whether for trade purposes, run by householder privatly or by monks using common or money or not given, which had been in relation to the Gems, proper gained. Non had and has regards toward the heirs, elders and Noble Ones (whether, lay or monk), and not a single of this communities has not been fallen into great transgression, not a single modern, western area in this realms (outwardly will be not differently) that wasn't dear to harm, disregard, steal from, went for the non-restistence and lose, and even kill heirs, Noble Ones, Arahats.

My person fears that this can not be solved within this generation for those families and as far as seen, very, very few are time wise enough to fall not into their dependency. And of course, even running around anonymously, is no support for an escape but was often the reason why going on without strong fear and shame, instead of holding simply meritorious and the Brahmaviharas, Sila, high.
Radix

Post by Radix »

retrofuturist wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:43 am
I suspect the "speak for yourself" had more to do with your comment "It's not possible to build a life on Buddhism while there is uncertainty about such a central thing as whether you'd be accepted as a student or not."

I don't recall ever seeing such a criteria specified in the Suttas, which casts questions upon its "centrality".
Given statements like this:

"Monks, even if bandits were to carve you up savagely, limb by limb, with a two-handled saw, he among you who let his heart get angered even at that would not be doing my bidding."

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html

or what the Buddha said about outcasts (https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .piya.html), it doesn't seem exactly easy to qualify as a prospective student of the Buddha.
Maybe it is "central" only for you personally?
Of course, if one does Buddhism for the purposes of one's own pleasure, then one feels free to pick and choose as one pleases, making the Buddha and his Dhamma yet another object of one's consumption.
:shrug:

Metta,
Paul. :)
What a capital combination!
Western Buddhism is the perfect ideological supplement to rabid consumerist capitalism.
Glenn Wallis
User13866

Post by User13866 »

When i joined in 2015, it seemed like the forum was some sort of demoralization campaign.

There were a few people littering the forum and being very unruly, i think all of them are gone now. However it was so bad that I came to believe that this was maybe something sanctioned by the admins and that the forum's purpose was demoralization & defamation of Buddhism.

I think i've been temporarily banned here a couple times and eventually i asked to have the account suspended.

However i no longer think there is any malicious asministration here, seeing that all of the bad actors are gone is most telling.

I've also participated on SC. There i eventually clashed with their chief LGBT propagandist and i must say they let me say everything and more before banning me. If i wasn't pushing it so much they would probably not ban me.

For this reason i think SC is a good forum where one can say what one wants and they don't ban as willy-nilly as people make it out to be.

Overall i think SC is a good place as well if you can tolerate the lgbt non-sense and some abuse by them. For most people this shouldn't even be noticeable.