Samma meaning

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Microdose

Samma meaning

Post by Microdose »

In the eightfold path each one begins with samma

Samma dhitti

This gets translated into English as right view when in Sanskrit sama means equanimity or balance or beyond any extremes , maybe the middle way

In Asia enlightenment bodhi is generally regarded as when one has equanimity of mind, and he is beyond any extremes and lives in the middle way

In the west from what I gather and pick up is that enlightenment is a magical experience outside of the body into some type of mystical realm , an experience with the transcendental

Samma as equanimity gives me a better clue to what is my practice and to remain as a balanced being

Just some reflections I have had recently

🙏
Eko Care

Re: Samma meaning

Post by Eko Care »

So if one shows the meaning of Samma as "accurate" or "reasonable", would you change or remain same?
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I ask the same question sometime back in this forum.
viewtopic.php?p=358450&hilit

I am still not sure of the meaning of it.
For instance, why is Gotama Buddha called Samma Sambuddha?
Others are called Pacceka Buddha etc.

Another question is what will happen[*] if we take our Samma from the Noble Eightfold Path?
Can we say that Noble Eightfold Path is in other religions as well?
If not do they have the Eightfold Path without Samma?

Perhaps the Samma means that taught by Samma Sambuddha.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
mjaviem

Post by mjaviem »

Does micchā mean kilter (off-center, out of phase)? Then micchā would mean something is wrong. Things should be in their place, they should fit. This would be the correct way of things. The right way.

As the OP explains, perhaps we don't have this concept of right as the center in mind and ancients did have it. Good thread.
Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammā Sambuddhassa
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

SarathW wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:10 am I ask the same question sometime back in this forum.

That's a really interesting point. I have seen an explanation of sammā as derived from the Vedic samyak, which can be broken into sam (together, with) i (going) and anc (a root meaning to bend or fold. from which English gets "angle" and "ankle"). This then means that the path factors can be seen as something like "coming or bending to fold together", or converging as they go, which I find very useful in terms of practice.

But it doesn't work in the case of Sammā Sambuddha. Maybe it is one of those terms that means different things according to context... :thinking: :shrug:
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Means rightly, correct.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud »

"Samma" is like this!

If you didn't care
What happened to me
And I didn't care for you

We would zig-zag our way
Through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing
- Roger Waters
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Perhaps the Samma is the opposition of Mitya (wrong)
It is important to note that there is a wrong Eightfold Path as well.
Incorporating Samma (right) he differentiates it from the wrong Eightfold Path (note the word Noble is not here).
asahi

Post by asahi »

Samma according to Vimutti-magga means exactness or rightness (which is undeviated from its path) whereas Sambuddha means complete realization .
No bashing No gossiping
Microdose

Post by Microdose »

Sam Vara wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:13 pm
SarathW wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:10 am I ask the same question sometime back in this forum.

That's a really interesting point. I have seen an explanation of sammā as derived from the Vedic samyak, which can be broken into sam (together, with) i (going) and anc (a root meaning to bend or fold. from which English gets "angle" and "ankle"). This then means that the path factors can be seen as something like "coming or bending to fold together", or converging as they go, which I find very useful in terms of practice.

But it doesn't work in the case of Sammā Sambuddha. Maybe it is one of those terms that means different things according to context... :thinking: :shrug:

This was based on my practice , Samma or sama in Sanskrit is balance, equanimity , which can also be stillness unmoving , it is the mind that moves , dhitti seems to me to part of the mind , the mind moves

Samma dhitti is without movement because it’s still balanced, not swaying with the monkey mind

I’m not an expert, I meditate and contemplate and apply what I learn through within practice , but I can relate to this within practice, this works directly

For some reason I see that Buddha is speaking of one consciousness , the different words expressed describe the same consciousness or being or what was discovered

I can apply samma to my stillness in meditation , I’m not looking to be right and have the right view intellectually or doctrine, which reminds me of brahmajala sutta where people argue over views whose origins are in thoughts , there are many views on this and thus complicates my thoughts and I’m supposed to believe in a view mind view ,if my mind finds samma balance stillness of this is stilled then everything works, the noble eightfold path comes into being, I function normally in my true nature dhamma

Also in my contemplations the wheel of Dhamma is a circle with eight spokes

When a wheel with spokes is in motion which spokes comes first , which one leads , where is the start of the circles

For me this works

Samma is stillness the middle way beyond all extremes another ephitet of Buddha the awakened heart chitta

☀️✨💫🙏
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Perhaps the best way to understand this is to find why it is called Samma Ditthi.
Samma Ditthi means not pertaining to the 62 views given in the DN1
That is the view without craving.
So Samma could mean without craving.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .bodh.html
siripala jagodage

Post by siripala jagodage »

Dear Dhamma friends

Samma means in my OP align towards Nibbana.While Miccha means align towards Hell.Thus followers of Noble Eight Fold path leads to end the rebirth.
While Miccha Eight fold path lead to prolongs the Sansara.

With Metta
Jagodage
siripala jagodage

Post by siripala jagodage »

Dear Dhamma friends

Samma means in my OP align towards Nibbana.While Miccha means align towards Hell.Thus followers of Noble Eight Fold path leads to end the rebirth.
While Miccha Eight fold path lead to prolongs the Sansara.

With Metta
Jagodage
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Others are called Pacceka Buddha etc.

Another question is what will happen[*] if we take our Samma from the Noble Eightfold Path?
Can we say that Noble Eightfold Path is in other religions as well?
If not do they have the Eightfold Path without Samma?

Perhaps the Samma means that taught by Samma Sambuddha.
Surprisingly above was confirmed by the venerable Pemasiri in the following video!
Ashwini Mudgal

Post by Ashwini Mudgal »

Samma means balanced and NOT right. The basis for this is the fact that a balanced path would be the middle path intended by the Buddha