Explaning advancing in the path - karma wise ?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
purple planet

Explaning advancing in the path - karma wise ?

Post by purple planet »

Would love to hear peoples view on how you can explain the advancing in the path karma wise

some thoughts just to give some ideas :

I assume for example the more meditation and good deeds the faster you advance on the path ?

...cause its more good karma which pushes to even greater good karma ?

or maybe its were creating non-karmas , and trying to accumulate as much as possible of this ?

On the other hand we have soo much karma through lifetimes so looking at this karma "gathering" wise is not true , and its not an issue of karma ?

Or this all has nothing to do with karma cause we learn to rise above karma and just learn .... though we need karma to learn this ...

It seems it can be a nice maybe even helpful way to look at "advancing in the path" as just accumulating good karma but i wonder how much its true , is it false ? or partly true ?
cappuccino

Re: Explaning advancing in the path - karma wise ?

Post by cappuccino »

Bhikkhu Khantipalo wrote:You want: long life, health, beauty, power, riches, high birth, wisdom? Or even some of these things? They do not appear by chance. It is not someone's luck that they are healthy, or another's lack of it that he is stupid.
Cula-kammavibhanga Sutta: The Shorter Exposition of Kamma

:candle:
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

Now got another thought pattern which might make what im asking more clear : How much of the advancement is 1:1 karma wise

considering of course that karma is not 1:1 and its not that if you donate a dollar you get 1 dollar or the equivalent of it in beauty or health etc ... considering that there is still some correlation i assume ... but in the specific case of advancement on the path - which is not mundane --- which is not worldly

in this spesific case : i assume maybe karma has less of a 100% impact ? cause for example there is an element of wisdom ? an element of seeing and going above karma ?

(after writing this i frustratingly understand that this second post by me is still very unclear :lol: )
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

The way I understand the Path is always mundane even though it might lead you to supermundane.
So I would say that you are correct to some extent.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Pasindu

Post by Pasindu »

purple planet wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:30 am Now got another thought pattern which might make what im asking more clear : How much of the advancement is 1:1 karma wise

considering of course that karma is not 1:1 and its not that if you donate a dollar you get 1 dollar or the equivalent of it in beauty or health etc ... considering that there is still some correlation i assume ... but in the specific case of advancement on the path - which is not mundane --- which is not worldly

in this spesific case : i assume maybe karma has less of a 100% impact ? cause for example there is an element of wisdom ? an element of seeing and going above karma ?

(after writing this i frustratingly understand that this second post by me is still very unclear :lol: )
"Kassapa, these seven factors of enlightenment are well expounded by me and are cultivated and fully developed by me. They conduce to perfect understanding, to full realization (of the four Noble Truths) and to Nibbana. What are the seven?"

1. "Mindfulness, the factor of enlightenment, Kassapa, is well expounded by me, and is cultivated and fully developed by me. It conduces to perfect understanding, to full realization and to Nibbana."

2. "Investigation of the Dhamma, the factor of enlightenment, Kassapa, is well expounded by me, and is cultivated and fully developed by me. It conduces to perfect understanding, to full realization and to Nibbana."

3. "Persevering effort, the factor of enlightenment, Kassapa, is well expounded by me and is cultivated and fully developed by me. It conduces to perfect understanding, to full realization and to Nibbana."

4. "Rapture, the factor of enlightenment, Kassapa, is well expounded by me, and is cultivated and fully developed by me. It conduces to perfect understanding, to full realization and to Nibbana."

5. "Calm, the factor of enlightenment, Kassapa, is well expounded by me, and is cultivated and fully developed by me. It conduces to perfect understanding, to full realization and to Nibbana."

6. "Concentration, the factor of enlightenment, Kassapa, is well expounded by me, and is cultivated and fully developed by me. It conduces to perfect understanding, to full realization and to Nibbana."

7. "Equanimity, the factor of enlightenment, Kassapa, is well expounded by me, and is cultivated and fully developed by me. It conduces to perfect understanding, to full realization and to Nibbana."

"These seven factors of enlightenment, Kassapa, are well expounded by me and are cultivated and fully developed by me. They conduce to perfect understanding, to full realization and to Nibbana."
http://dhammatalks.net/Books10/Bojjhanga_Suttas.htm

For more information on 7 factors...
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/aut ... el001.html

:namaste:
jons

Post by jons »

purple planet wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:30 am Now got another thought pattern which might make what im asking more clear : How much of the advancement is 1:1 karma wise

There is no tool in this world to measure the ratio of anybody's Kamma, and there is no above kamma or below kamma either.
The word kamma means action.
There are actions that create bad deed and actions that create good deed.
When you do something to hurt yourself and others, that is bad kamma...(Bad deed)
When you do something not to hurt yourself and others including helping others and yourself, that is good kamma...(good deed)

In our lives, we have three main problems : hatred, greed and delusion...

Hatred is coming from unresolved pain: mental pain and physical pain.

Greed is coming from our desire to have a better life.

Delusion is the lack of understanding.

When you are on this noble Journey, you need to do actions to cut down on all of them.
You practice metta Meditation to cut down on your hatred.... You do charity to cut down on your greed.... Furthermore, you develop the seven factors of awakening to cut down on your lack of understanding.
Make sure you remember and understand the 4 Noble Truth....

The First truth...you must analyze to understand
The Second truth... you must let it go.
The third truth... you must taste it or experience it.
The fourth truth... you must practice.....

You practice analyzing to understand the problem, next you let go of the cause, then you experience the relief...continue the practice... That's it.
Make the 4NT spin in your mind and your life...
The goal of the practice is wisdom (understand)

More Practice, you will have more understanding!

When you understand, you are in command of your own decision

Jons
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

SarathW wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:13 am The way I understand the Path is always mundane even though it might lead you to supermundane.
So I would say that you are correct to some extent.
We live in a jungle of lobha dosa moha or a crowd of desires. What I learnt as a professional is to forgive and forget. Often when a job is attended successfully the client leaves you even without payment. But if we are following the 8FNP , we got to think about the service done,, forgive and forget .Karma wise the professional will be looked after. Dammo hawe rakkathi dammacari.
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

Another though after reading about Moggallāna who reached enlightenment but suffered bad karma and was killed , and than thinking about angulimala who killed many people but reached enlightenment and also the buddha not living to be a billion years old ...

.... shows that its not so simple and not complex as doing good karma to advance on the path ?

There is a need for a very specific type of karma ?

I mean in other instances you dont think of doing "jeep karma" in order to make someone in future give you a free jeep .... its just do general good deeds and maybe that will increase your chances of also getting a jeep ... but in case of advancing on the path there is some very spesific karmas you need to peruse ? if yes , than can you label them exactly ?
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

Another thing i remembered now that made me ask this question is other spiritual traditions and how they refer to at least some part of thier advancment for example castaneda talks about gathering energy and taoism talks about a body change that eventually leads to enlightnment

that is another reason why i wonder how much of it is just an issue of just doing as much good karma as we can in order to advance
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

Another reason (i add in new post cause i cant edit anymore) which is a big reason for me to inquire about this question is encoutering many monks who emphasis continues practice , like ven Ajahn Chah for example

so it made me wonder how much are separate single moments are "wasted" how many "Waste" there is in very short meditations ... and now i wonder how much more effect does continued mediations , daily meditations etc have a stronger impact because they are near other mindfulness etc moments

cause its not like if you donate every day 10$ it has more effect than donation 70$ every week ? .... when i first thought of this example i thought like this but now thinking of it it does seem like donating everyday a small amount would have a stronger mental impact .

but what im trying to say is that when they talk about good deeds and karma gained from it they dont emphasis how important the continuity of them is , at least not as much as i ecnouted some emphsising continues meditation practice ..

so it makes me wonder if there are other elemnts that influnce the effect which are not just the volume of good single moments collected