Future perils of Buddhism.

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
SarathW

Re: Future perils of Buddhism.

Post by SarathW »

SarathW wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:45 pm From my experience, this is why Buddhism is in decline in Sri Lanka.

- Sensual pleasures are valued more than spiritual attainments.
- Lack of good teachers who understand the teaching
- The liberal attitude of the Buddhists.

Having said this I still think Buddhism will be flourished by the year 2050
that Buddhism will be the only religion that will survive by the year 2050 and that scientists cannot hammer it down or destroy it. :idea:

viewtopic.php?t=16297&hilit=2050
Perhaps another problem is that there could be monks who have accomplished the path and realised the fruits.
But they are not interested in teaching people (like the way Buddha wondered whether any people up there have the capability) or they do not have the ability to explain it. (such as Pacceka Buddha)
Sometimes trying to teach could be a frustrating exercise.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

SarathW wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:29 am
TRobinson465 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:12 am Dark Dhamma has already happened and has been happening for hundreds of years. Just like how the world jokes that Americans think the world revolves around us, western and english speaking Buddhists seem to think Buddhism in the West is the only Buddhism in the world and the common point of reference despite 99% of Buddhists not practicing western forms of Buddhism. you see dark Dhamma in Asia already where Buddhism has declined, not in stats, but in quality. Buddhist temples holding fairs, predicting lottery numbers, doing black magic tattoos. IMO some of these things are much darker than mere secularization and bending of the ethics of Buddhism. Although that is likely to happen too. Ive already met Buddhists online who legitimately think abortion is not an act of killing according to Buddhism (not that it shouldnt be illegal, legitimately thinking its not an act of killing according to Buddhism)
You don't have to look hard for it. Ven Ahahan Braham preaches that life begins only three months after conception! Not to mention his views that Abhidhamma is not Buddha's teaching.
Ajahn Brahm proudly says he is a heretic. I do find his talks very good and informative for the most part, but yes some of his teachings like devas arent real or abhidhamma is fake are concerning. I wasnt aware of his 3 month teaching and that is particularly alarming, as that is borderline parajika if someone listens to him and then gets an abortion thinking it is not killing.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

TRobinson465 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:09 am
TRobinson465 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:12 am Dark Dhamma has already happened and has been happening for hundreds of years. Just like how the world jokes that Americans think the world revolves around us, western and english speaking Buddhists seem to think Buddhism in the West is the only Buddhism in the world and the common point of reference despite 99% of Buddhists not practicing western forms of Buddhism. you see dark Dhamma in Asia already where Buddhism has declined, not in stats, but in quality. Buddhist temples holding fairs, predicting lottery numbers, doing black magic tattoos. IMO some of these things are much darker than mere secularization and bending of the ethics of Buddhism. Although that is likely to happen too. Ive already met Buddhists online who legitimately think abortion is not an act of killing according to Buddhism (not that it shouldnt be illegal, legitimately thinking its not an act of killing according to Buddhism)
You don't have to look hard for it. Ven Ahahan Braham preaches that life begins only three months after conception! Not to mention his views that Abhidhamma is not Buddha's teaching.
Ajahn Brahm proudly says he is a heretic. I do find his talks very good and informative for the most part, but yes some of his teachings like devas arent real or abhidhamma is fake are concerning. I wasnt aware of his 3 month teaching and that is particularly alarming, as that is borderline parajika if someone listens to him and then gets an abortion thinking it is not killing.
When he said devas arent real?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

confusedlayman wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:18 am
TRobinson465 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:09 am

When he said devas arent real?

In one of his talks he explained that the growing population of the earth doesnt contradict rebirth because the new people on earth are simply being reborn from former earth animals. He makes no mention of any of the other realms in his explanation so it heavily implied (to me) that he doesnt believe in devas or hell beings.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
Radix

Post by Radix »

DNS wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:23 pm Christianity will have the largest net decline as people leave that religion, mostly for the unaffiliated group.
Decline or a wholesome purge?

The decline in the number of members can be interpreted in many ways. We can also view it in a positive way, noting that finally, the weak, the unfit, the insincere have been culled from the herd. Better a handful of true believers than a million impostors and wannabes, right?
Western Buddhism is the perfect ideological supplement to rabid consumerist capitalism.
Glenn Wallis
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Radix wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:36 pm
DNS wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:23 pm Christianity will have the largest net decline as people leave that religion, mostly for the unaffiliated group.
Decline or a wholesome purge?

The decline in the number of members can be interpreted in many ways. We can also view it in a positive way, noting that finally, the weak, the unfit, the insincere have been culled from the herd. Better a handful of true believers than a million impostors and wannabes, right?
I tend to agree, although this might not be the politically correct view. There are some forms of Christianity that don't view Jesus as the Son of God, that he is nothing Divine, don't believe in immaculate conception, or even the Resurrection. I can understand some reforms or new age interpretations, but at what point is it so far removed from orthodox Christianity, that it is no longer Christian?
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
SarathW wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:04 am
SarathW wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:45 pm From my experience, this is why Buddhism is in decline in Sri Lanka.
Perhaps another problem is that there could be monks who have accomplished the path and realised the fruits.
But they are not interested in teaching people (like the way Buddha wondered whether any people up there have the capability) or they do not have the ability to explain it. (such as Pacceka Buddha)
Sometimes trying to teach could be a frustrating exercise.
Indeed Sarath. Why should someone create disturbance and volunteer themselves to be branded a heretic and blasphemer against local god Buddhaghosa or the sacred Abhidhamma scrolls?
DNS wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:23 pm Christianity will have the largest net decline as people leave that religion, mostly for the unaffiliated group...
Radix wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:36 pm Decline or a wholesome purge?...
I tend to agree, although this might not be the politically correct view....
Once upon a time the Israelites abandoned God for Ba'al, Moloch etc... now those brought up in Christian nations rapidly abandon their God and his ways for the new gods of Greta, The Science, and politically-correct neo-Marxism. The underlying aspect of blind faith is no different, but having transcended mystical personification of their gods, they happen to regard themselves as frightfully intelligent, and pridefully regard themselves as being above all others. "Pride goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall." - Book of Proverbs, 16:18

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
User13866

Post by User13866 »

259. One is not an upholder of the Dhamma only because he preaches a lot. Having heard even a little, if one experiences the Dhamma with his body and is never negligent of the Dhamma, one is indeed an upholder of the Dhamma.
Could do with more of these