How to deal with negative emotions and insecurities?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Gami47

How to deal with negative emotions and insecurities?

Post by Gami47 »

:namaste:
SarathW

Re: How to deal with negative emotions and insecurities?

Post by SarathW »

Practicing Satipathana.
"'This is the direct path for the purification of beings, for the overcoming of sorrow & lamentation, for the disappearance of pain & distress, for the attainment of the right method, & for the realization of Unbinding — in other words, the four frames of reference.' Thus was it said, and in reference to this was it said."
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

Gami47 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:14 am:namaste:
Don't cling to and let go.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
User13866

Post by User13866 »

When i was uneducated i had plenty of insecurities. I think it's natural to have these when one is prospecting the truth & reality and that these disappear when prospecting is superseded by understanding & judgement.

Negative emotions are basically greed, anger & delusion based, these need to be removed by right effort.
And what is right effort? It’s when a mendicant generates enthusiasm, tries, makes an effort, exerts the mind, and strives so that bad, unskillful qualities don’t arise. They generate enthusiasm, try, make an effort, exert the mind, and strive so that bad, unskillful qualities that have arisen are given up. They generate enthusiasm, try, make an effort, exert the mind, and strive so that skillful qualities that have not arisen do arise. They generate enthusiasm, try, make an effort, exert the mind, and strive so that skillful qualities that have arisen remain, are not lost, but increase, mature, and are fulfilled by development. This is called right effort.
I don't consider righteous guilt, fear, shame & regret to be a negative emotion, these aren't pleasant but they are necessary for restraint. These emotions are best dealt with by embracing and submitting to them, eliminating the cause which is misbehavior (prompted by greed, anger & delusion) and doing something good for rehabilitation.
Dhp 172. He who having been heedless is heedless no more, illuminates this world like the moon freed from clouds.

173. He, who by good deeds covers the evil he has done, illuminates this world like the moon freed from clouds.