Why did Anathapindika give away all of his money?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Gami47

Why did Anathapindika give away all of his money?

Post by Gami47 »

:namaste:
cappuccino

Re: Why did Anathapindika give away all of his money?

Post by cappuccino »

This is the way that leads to riches, that is to say, to be a giver of food, drink, cloth, sandals, garlands, perfumes, unguents, bed, roof and lighting to monks and brahmans.

This is the way that leads to poverty, that is to say, not to be a giver of food, drink, cloth, sandals, garlands, perfumes, unguents, bed, roof and lighting to monks and brahmans.

Cula-kammavibhanga Sutta: The Shorter Exposition of Kamma
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Gami47 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:39 pm:namaste:
He was amazingly generous towards the Buddha and his disciples, but I don't think it is recorded that he gave away all of his money. He didn't impoverish himself through giving. When he became poor, it was through other causes.

There might be a sort of moral for us in there. When giving, give only what you feel comfortable in giving, and don't lead yourself into trouble through giving.
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

cappucino your comment is misleading , you are implying as if Anathapindika gave stuff for worldly benefit alone , by quoting a sutta (and underlying part of it) that does not talk about him and his reasons but just writing about (some) of the effects of giving to others

You didnt do a quote from a sutta referring to the reasons why Anathapindika help the sangha (the actual quesiton)

It is like someone asking "why did Emma Brown (made up name) abandon her child when she was young ? " and someone will quote some article
"some woman abandon thier child to save money so they can buy more drugs"
but that would be a misleading reply that doesnt really talk about the actaul question of why emma brown did what she did
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

Anathapindika is an interesting person. He was wise in giving and renouncing things. It wasn’t until he was dying that he heard some deeper truths from Sariputta about giving up clinging to The World, to a self, to senses which made him weep and die and be reborn in a heavenly realm. Elsewhere Buddha explains in dramatic terms that the greatest of all gifts, much greater than giving cartloads of gold to Dhamma purposes, is to meditate. What does this mean about people like Anathapindika? On the one hand they are regarded as the greatest of renunciates while on the other a simple poor mendicant training correctly is really the greater renunciate in approaching the deathless. Who can say that Anathapindika was not destined for a time on hell for some past actions? Either way, a reason, intention, for whatever level of renunciation is important. Is it to assuage past misdeeds, is it out of veneration, faith, or whatever.
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

cappuccino wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:42 pm This is the way that leads to riches, that is to say, to be a giver of food, drink, cloth, sandals, garlands, perfumes, unguents, bed, roof and lighting to monks and brahmans.

This is the way that leads to poverty, that is to say, not to be a giver of food, drink, cloth, sandals, garlands, perfumes, unguents, bed, roof and lighting to monks and brahmans.

Cula-kammavibhanga Sutta: The Shorter Exposition of Kamma
Is this your experience in life? Unless the "riches" you mention refer not to material wealth.
In any case, the more content you are with what you have, the more likely you are to donate. There is a certain kind of happiness that comes from giving.

The reverse is also true.
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
thepea

Post by thepea »

purple planet wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:13 pm cappucino your comment is misleading , you are implying as if Anathapindika gave stuff for worldly benefit alone , by quoting a sutta (and underlying part of it) that does not talk about him and his reasons but just writing about (some) of the effects of giving to others

You didnt do a quote from a sutta referring to the reasons why Anathapindika help the sangha (the actual quesiton)

It is like someone asking "why did Emma Brown (made up name) abandon her child when she was young ? " and someone will quote some article
"some woman abandon thier child to save money so they can buy more drugs"
but that would be a misleading reply that doesnt really talk about the actaul question of why emma brown did what she did
I thought caps response was valid and helpful. I would add that giving to your neighbours and others in need feels good. It’s nice to be in a position of surplus and share your wealth.
asahi

Post by asahi »

Sam Vara wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:11 pm but I don't think it is recorded that he gave away all of his money. He didn't impoverish himself through giving. When he became poor, it was through other causes.
I remember in the sutta or commentary saying whether he gave away until he was in poor condition . :roll:
No bashing No gossiping
asahi

Re:

Post by asahi »

sunnat wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:21 am Anathapindika is an interesting person. He was wise in giving and renouncing things. It wasn’t until he was dying that he heard some deeper truths from Sariputta about giving up clinging to The World, to a self, to senses which made him weep and die and be reborn in a heavenly realm.

Hi sunnat ,
It appears this is in contrary to below sutta .
Here he seems to understand deep dhamma already much earlier than before nearing his death time .

https://suttacentral.net/an10.93/en/thanissaro

And it is not the right time to see the monks who are developing their minds [in meditation], for they are in seclusion. What if I were to visit the park of the wanderers of other persuasions?” So he headed to the park of the wanderers of other persuasions.

It wouldn’t be difficult for me to expound to you what views I have. But please let the venerable ones expound each in line with his position, and then it won’t be difficult for me to expound to you what views I have.”

When this had been said, Anathapindika the householder said to the wanderers, “As for the venerable one who says, ‘The cosmos is eternal. Only this is true; anything otherwise is worthless. This is the sort of view I have,’ his view arises from his own inappropriate attention or in dependence on the words of another. Now this view has been brought into being, is fabricated, willed, dependently originated. Whatever has been brought into being, is fabricated, willed, dependently originated, that is inconstant. Whatever is inconstant is stress. This venerable one thus adheres to that very stress, submits himself to that very stress.” (Similarly for the other positions.)

“Venerable sirs, whatever has been brought into being, is fabricated, willed, dependently originated, that is inconstant. Whatever is inconstant is stress. Whatever is stress is not me, is not what I am, is not my self. Having seen this well with right discernment as it actually is present, I also discern the higher escape from it as it actually is present.”

When this had been said, the wanderers fell silent, abashed, sitting with their shoulders drooping, their heads down, brooding, at a loss for words. Anathapindika the householder, perceiving that the wanderers were silent, abashed… at a loss for words, got up & went to where the Blessed One was staying.

No bashing No gossiping
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

Interesting.

In the Anathapindika Sutta, Sariputta attending to the dying Anathapindika takes him through what amounts to a guided meditation on clinging, towards the end is this :

“…householder, you should train yourself in this way: 'I won't cling to what is seen, heard, sensed, cognized, attained, sought after, pondered by the intellect; my consciousness will not be dependent on that.' That's how you should train yourself."

When this was said, Anathapindika the householder wept and shed tears. Ven. Ananda said to him, "Are you sinking, householder? Are you foundering?"

"No, venerable sir. I'm not sinking, nor am I foundering. It's just that for a long time I have attended to the Teacher, and to the monks who inspire my heart, but never before have I heard a talk on the Dhamma like this…”

Even after Anathapindika reported to the Buddha the exchange he had had with the wanderers, which the Blessed one praised him for, the Buddha gave him a talk on the Dhamma, but clearly taking him through the clinging talk as per Sariputta was not its contents.
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

asahi wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:54 am
Sam Vara wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:11 pm but I don't think it is recorded that he gave away all of his money. He didn't impoverish himself through giving. When he became poor, it was through other causes.
I remember in the sutta or commentary saying whether he gave away until he was in poor condition . :roll:
It may be that such an incident is recorded during an alms giving as coarse food is given to lord budda as the only resort and it is said that in a former life a brahman gives all his wealth but inappropriately. It is recorded in Velama sutta.
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

A look at the Chachakka Sutta may aid intellectual understanding.

MN148 starts by addressing bhikkhus. In other words those who have gone forth, who practice the virtues. Anathaindika was a householder. The Sutta goes on to detail the six senses, their objects, consviousness, how those three coming together is called contact and thus feeling arises. For the untrained this leads to craving. Then the Sutta details the arising and abandonment of the tendency to personalise the sets of six. This seems to be where the previous Sutta referred to reaches. The Blessed one then gives a discourse to Anathapindika which is not recounted. Perhaps The Buddha saw he was not ready for the next stage which Sariputta later revealed at Anathapindikas deathbed. Then the Sutta on the Six Sets of Six goes on to detail how it is impossible to reach the goal of one lusts for pleasant feelings, has aversion to unpleasant feelings and is ignorant of neutral feelings. It is only by abandoning those underlying tendencies that the path to the goal is clear and disenchantment, dispassion and liberation follows. Perhaps in spite of his exemplary generosity and intellectual understanding of anatta there remained hindrances that were only begun to be let go of in extremis upon hearing Sariputta talk.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

With wealth acquired this way,
a layman fit for household life,
in portions four divides his wealth:
thus will he friendship win.

One portion for his wants he uses,[7]
two portions on his business spends,
the fourth for times of need he keeps
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .nara.html

I personally do not believe that Anathapindika (well informed Buddhist) gave away all his money in contrary to popular belief.

Something else must have happened for the loss of his wealth.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Pasindu

Post by Pasindu »

He was the chief male patron of buddhism, and since Buddha does not give away titles if the person has not completed requirements to earn it, I think in a previous life/lives Anathapindika must have done deeds of great merit and wished to become the chief male patron, which gained him the necessary riches and faith to become so. Plus, he was sothapanna which means his faith is unwavering no matter what misfortune comes to him.

justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

Pasindu wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:51 am
He was the chief male patron of buddhism, and since Buddha does not give away titles if the person has not completed requirements to earn it, I think in a previous life/lives Anathapindika must have done deeds of great merit and wished to become the chief male patron, which gained him the necessary riches and faith to become so. Plus, he was sothapanna which means his faith is unwavering no matter what misfortune comes to him.

I wish to reitarate the fact he Anathapindika gave alms to lord budda , at a time when he had exhausted all his wealth. At this juncture he gave a poor or coarse meal, which lord budda valued so.much. It is at this time that budda mentions the dana given by a rich brahman Velama, in a former life by giving all his wealth. Velama sutta is mentioned by lord budda at this moment, to Anathapindika. Anathapindika later gets back all his wealth.