What is Dukkha?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SarathW

What is Dukkha?

Post by SarathW »

What is Dukkha?

Good video on the subject of DUkkha.
However, I felt that there is a flaw in this Dhamma talk.
So what is your opinion?
I will discuss my view latter if the discussion progress.
It is a one-hour video but contains a wealth of information about Dukkha.

Venerable Dhammarakhita seems to have a PHD in Mahayana and has a very good book knowledge of Tipitaka.

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Spiny Norman

Re: What is Dukkha?

Post by Spiny Norman »

Please provide a brief summary.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
form

Post by form »

He is not speaking English
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

"unsatisfactoriness," "unease," or "stress"
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
Tl21G3lVl

Post by Tl21G3lVl »

Ever-changing. Imbedded imminent destruction. No owner. It’s the 3 marks along with birth, aging, sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair.
Last edited by Tl21G3lVl on Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
asahi

Post by asahi »

The whole mass of suffering is dukkha .
No bashing No gossiping
form

Post by form »

Bhikkhu Bodhi explained much better than him. More precise, less words and within shorter time.
takso

Post by takso »

In English, suffering is defined as the state of undergoing pain, distress, or hardship. It is a word translated from Latin, namely sufferre which means to bear, undergo, endure, carry, or put under. The word suffering appears in every corner of Buddhism and usually, one would associate suffering with pain, anxiety, agony, sadness, dissatisfaction, and all sorts of negativity in one’s life. Unfortunately, as far as the Buddha is concerned, this is not precisely the case.

The First Noble Truth affirms that suffering from birth, old age, sickness, and death is inevitable. Buddha taught that suffering comes not just from the body, but also from mental attributes. In Buddhism, dependent nature is known as samsāra, meaning continuous flux, namely the iterations of birth, life, death, and rebirth. This means that there will be suffering (dukkha) because of conditional phenomena that would require individuals or things to persevere or undertake indefinitely.

In the end, suffering has nothing to do with the perception of pain, anxiety, agony, dissatisfaction, joy, or happiness, as these are just reflections of its consequences. For a fervent Buddhist, it is imperative to adopt an attitude of letting go of things or issues in order to ease suffering. In this way, one would be liberated spiritually by not succumbing to any conditional circumstances. Ultimately, it is only necessary to cure the cause, but not the symptoms!
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

form wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:22 am Bhikkhu Bodhi explained much better than him. More precise, less words and within shorter time.
Could you provide the reference, please?
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Spiny Norman wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:53 pm Please provide a brief summary.
He mentioned it is called Dukkha because it is Anicca,
In my opinion Anicca. Dukkha and Anatta are three different characteristics that eliminate attachments. aversion and ignorance.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

SarathW wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:11 am
The suttas say that the aggregates are unsatisfacory because they are impermanent. This means that clinging to the aggregates leads to suffering.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

asahi wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:27 am The whole mass of suffering is dukkha .
But only while ignorance and craving craving persist? That's what DO suggests.
asahi

Post by asahi »

Spiny Norman wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:33 am
Your very self are the outcome of ignorance , hence present five aggregates isnt it ? As i understand , even after you cut off the craving , this present aggregates still considered as remaining mass of suffering that waiting for it to disperse . Until then , it is still not exempted totally . Dukkha are as such . Dukkha has two arrows , one has been cut off , remaining one to be eliminated naturally .
No bashing No gossiping
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

Spiny Norman wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:28 am
SarathW wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:11 am
The suttas say that the aggregates are unsatisfacory because they are impermanent. This means that clinging to the aggregates leads to suffering.
We are trying to interpret an expression called dukka that lord budda used. Having thoughts of this , it could be said that dukka is the mental expression expressed by a being of the reaction within from manifestation of energy during the reaction for the dynamic equilibrium of the universe.
When it is opposed to our liking it is dukkadukka vedana , when it is liked it is sukha vedana. As it is a reaction it is impermanent while as it is governed by the key factor of eqilibrium, it is anatta or not self governed .
All expressed here is suffering and resdons for suffering. This goes on in samsara or throuout until an effort with 8fnp is attempted.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

asahi wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:49 am
Spiny Norman wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:33 am
Your very self are the outcome of ignorance , hence present five aggregates isnt it ? As i understand , even after you cut off the craving , this present aggregates still considered as remaining mass of suffering that waiting for it to disperse . Until then , it is still not exempted totally . Dukkha are as such . Dukkha has two arrows , one has been cut off , remaining one to be eliminated naturally .
A simpler explanation is that dukkha ceases with craving. This is what the second and third Noble Truths describe, and what DO in cessation mode describes.
Occam's razor? ;)