Nuclear war simulator

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
mario92

Nuclear war simulator

Post by mario92 »

Hello i watched a video simulator of a nuclear war, it would destroy and kill in the long run 500 million people, this including USA, Mexico, Canada and central America, Europe, Rusia, north Africa, how can we get prepared? Thank you They say that it will happen a nuclear winter, with minus 40 grades celsius. Can 4 great kings really protect us? How to be prepared?

This is the best i found in spanish
Jack19990101

Re: Nuclear war simulator

Post by Jack19990101 »

You will survive, your body won't.

Tanha will get you another body swiftly. You will be asleep and awake like before minus memory.
User13866

Post by User13866 »

Nowadays It's far more likely that a snake might bite me. Let alone those, just a few days ago i almost got hit by what i assume was a drunk driver. I think most likely that is how my death would come about but a nuke will do it as well. I don't really care which gets me, how i live is what matters, how i die doesn't matter.

This body a nesting ground for disease anyway, barely holding up as it is..
Last edited by User13866 on Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

500 million will die immediately maybe, but billions will die in the years following of starvation, which is frankly the bigger problem as far as an existential threat. Its truly a suicidal weapon. You never know what will happen, put your refuge in the dhamma, not survivalism.
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

mario92 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:50 pm how can we get prepared?
How can we get prepared for anything that might happen? Faith, hope, love.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

mario92 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:50 pm Hello i watched a video simulator of a nuclear war, it would destroy and kill in the long run 500 million people, this including USA, Mexico, Canada and central America, Europe, Rusia, north Africa, how can we get prepared? Thank you They say that it will happen a nuclear winter, with minus 40 grades celsius. Can 4 great kings really protect us? How to be prepared?
"If, lord, such a great peril should arise, such a terrible destruction of human life — the human state being so hard to obtain — what else should be done but Dhamma-conduct, right conduct, skillful deeds, meritorious deeds?"

"I inform you, great king, I announce to you, great king: aging and death are rolling in on you. When aging and death are rolling in on you, great king, what should be done?"

"As aging and death are rolling in on me, lord, what else should be done but Dhamma-conduct, right conduct, skillful deeds, meritorious deeds?
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

It looks like the southern tip of Chile & Argentina might be safe. But no time to reach there if the missiles are in the air. No bueno.

Definitely duck & cover won't work.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

DNS wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:26 pm It looks like the southern tip of Chile & Argentina might be safe. But no time to reach there if the missiles are in the air. No bueno.

Interestingly, the first video seemed to ignore the immediate threat of Putin using tactical nuclear weapons on the Ukrainian border, and went straight into a scenario in which the superpowers lob big ones at each other's major cities. That, plus the fact that the UK's nuclear facilities are not hit until well after other cities, makes me wonder how up to date and sophisticated this model is.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Sam Vara wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:32 pm Interestingly, the first video seemed to ignore the immediate threat of Putin using tactical nuclear weapons on the Ukrainian border, and went straight into a scenario in which the superpowers lob big ones at each other's major cities. That, plus the fact that the UK's nuclear facilities are not hit until well after other cities, makes me wonder how up to date and sophisticated this model is.
Yes, the second video was much better, discussing the threat from the current war in Ukraine. I think you have to go all the way back to the Cold War to find a time when nuclear war was a real possibility.
mjaviem

Post by mjaviem »

DNS wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:26 pm It looks like the southern tip of Chile & Argentina might be safe. But no time to reach there if the missiles are in the air. No bueno.

Second video says that after month 10, temperatures would drop to -32 celsius. So definetly eating guanacos in Patagonia won't work either.
Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammā Sambuddhassa
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

mjaviem wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:44 pm Second video says that after month 10, temperatures would drop to -32 celsius. So definetly eating guanacos in Patagonia won't work either.
That's right, just heard that at the end of that video. I'd rather eat guacamole, but at those temps, that would even be less likely.
mario92

Post by mario92 »

Thank you all, i found some videos

mario92

Post by mario92 »

How much nuclear winter lasts and how to survive article
https://practicalselfreliance.com/survi ... anse%20the
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Maybe google will become self-aware and take over the missiles to destroy the enemy (humans!). :lol:

Hasta la vista, baby. :guns:
Buddha save me from new-agers!
PeterC86

Post by PeterC86 »