Things we have of Buddhist origin

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
User13866

Things we have of Buddhist origin

Post by User13866 »

I couldn't come up with a better title but i want to draw attention to things that are well-known in the world and have their origin in EBTs

If you know of things like that id very much like to know as well

As example
Dhp 268-269 [Thanissaro]

Not by silence
does someone confused
& unknowing
turn into a sage.
But whoever — wise,
as if holding the scales,
taking the excellent —
rejects evil deeds:
he is a sage,
that's how he's a sage.
Whoever can weigh
both sides of the world:
that's how he's called
a sage.
This is from the Chapter on 'The Just'. I assume that this is where the Lady Justice holding a set of scales imagery is from
I am not sure but was listening to Dhp and thought of this

Another thing i saw is that "The chicken or the egg" causality dilemma, commonly stated as the question, "which came first: the chicken or the egg?" Is in the 'Question's of King Milinda'.

I haven't done much research on this. This might have appeared elsewhere , according to wikipedia maybe Aristotle spelled it out earlier but it's noteworthy nonetheless to me
The question represents an ancient folk paradox addressing the problem of origins and first cause.[3] Aristotle, writing in the fourth century BCE, concluded that this was an infinite sequence, with no true origin.[3]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_or_the_egg
Kusala

Re: Things we have of Buddhist origin

Post by Kusala »

Nice. :thumbsup:
"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

OMAD (one meal a day), recommended by the Buddha for health reasons and to not burden the lay people with too many meals.

Modern nutritionists and scientists are seeing the benefits of OMAD for overall health and I'm sure most of them, nearly all of them, don't even know it came from the Buddha.
User13866

Post by User13866 »

There is this as well
In 1814 Ivan Krylov wrote a fable called “Swan, Pike and Crawfish“:

When partners can’t agree
Their dealings come to naught
And trouble is their labor’s only fruit.

Once Crawfish, Swan and Pike
Set out to pull a loaded cart,
And all together settled in the traces;
They pulled with all their might, but still the cart refused to budge!
The load it seemed was not too much for them:
Yet Crawfish scrambled backwards,
Swan strained up skywards, Pike pulled toward the sea.
Who’s guilty here and who is right is not for us to say –
But anyway the cart’s still there today.
https://russianuniverse.org/2014/04/06/ ... -crawfish/
There is is also a lot of art drawing from this fable
https://www.google.com/search?q=Swan,+P ... =647&dpr=2

All somehow drawing from Buddhavaccana
"Just as if a person, catching six animals of different ranges, of different habitats, were to bind them with a strong rope. Catching a snake, he would bind it with a strong rope. Catching a crocodile... a bird... a dog... a hyena... a monkey, he would bind it with a strong rope. Binding them all with a strong rope, and tying a knot in the middle, he would set chase to them.

"Then those six animals, of different ranges, of different habitats, would each pull toward its own range & habitat. The snake would pull, thinking, 'I'll go into the anthill.' The crocodile would pull, thinking, 'I'll go into the water.' The bird would pull, thinking, 'I'll fly up into the air.' The dog would pull, thinking, 'I'll go into the village.' The hyena would pull, thinking, 'I'll go into the charnel ground.' The monkey would pull, thinking, 'I'll go into the forest.' And when these six animals became internally exhausted, they would submit, they would surrender, they would come under the sway of whichever among them was the strongest. In the same way, when a monk whose mindfulness immersed in the body is undeveloped & unpursued, the eye pulls toward pleasing forms, while unpleasing forms are repellent. The ear pulls toward pleasing sounds... The nose pulls toward pleasing aromas... The tongue pulls toward pleasing flavors... The body pulls toward pleasing tactile sensations... The intellect pulls toward pleasing ideas, while unpleasing ideas are repellent. This, monks, is lack of restraint.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
That's all i got for now