Is Nagarjuna a Nihilist?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Ceisiwr

Re: Is Nagarjuna a Nihilist?

Post by Ceisiwr »

Brus963 wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:37 pm
Ceisiwr wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:20 pm
For Sarvāstivādins, everything exists (hence the name of "all exists school)". All dhammas exist and always exist in the past, present and future. They do so because they have substantial existence (dravya-sat). As they are substances, they always are. Liberation then in that school is a process of "decoupling" from these eternal dhammas.

The way I understand Sarvastivada is that they are kind of like Platonists. They're trying to make sense of the fact that we have things like memory and conceptualization, and so everythings exists, but when it manifests it is impermanent. Something like that, I could be wrong though.
Sort of. The dhammas exist forever as substances. What we see as impermanence, as their arising and ceasing, is merely their effects being discharged across time. As far as I understand their system, even if everyone in the whole of the 3 realms were to be liberated the dhammas would always still persist. As I say, Pudgalavāda also accepted this tri-temporal realism and in a sense, they can be thought of as being Sarvāstivādins but with the "person" too as a real concept. What is commonly known as Sarvāstivāda is really Sarvāstivāda-Vaibhāṣika, with the Vaibhāṣika being those who adhere to their school's great commentary on the Abhidharma, the Abhidharma Mahāvibhāṣa Śāstra.

On tri-temporal realism it seems this view of the dhammas arose as a means to address the question of how dhammas can have effects across time, particularly kamma. The question was how kamma can lead to an effect that was potentially millions of years in the future if it had already ceased. One solution to this problem was to say it occurs because in a sense, the initial kamma never actually ceased. The past still exists and has effects in the future as that exists too. Another solution was that there was some root conciousness which in some way carries the kamma until the conditions are right for it to come into fruition. Those who preferred the former became Sarvāstivādins. Those that preferred the latter became Theravāda, Mahīśāsaka, Dharmaguptaka and so on. Further arguments were then offered on both sides to argue their point. For the Sarvāstivādins, they argued that in order for us to remember the past the past must still exist since conciousness can only cognise something if it presents to conciousness. The past then exists, and those who disagree are guilty of proposing a cognition of nothing when they say we can remember something which has ceased (the past). In their Abhidharma texts, they even talk of Theravāda's very own Moggaliputtatissa as being a monk who proposes a "cognition of nothing". In reply the other schools accused the Sarvāstivādins of violating the law of impermanence.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Brus963 wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:12 pm
Yeah I agree that that is another plausible reading. Sunyata here meaning the emptiness of non-conceptualization, rather than the emptiness of things themselves.
Shunyata could include both these aspects.
One reason phenomena are empty of inherent existence is because they only arise in dependence upon being perceived.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Nagarjuna is arhant
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Brus963,
Brus963 wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:41 pm I just read a book called "Emptiness Appraised: A Critical Study of Nagarjuna's Philosophy", and I thought I would share some of the ideas in the book and get opinions from other members in this forum.
I'm not studied Nagarjuna, but I've seen enough to be wary of dismissing his writings by quoting one or two lines from the MMK (though I imagine a book like the one you cite does a lot more than that!).

You might be interested in the discussion here:
https://discourse.suttacentral.net/t/ni ... ra/15674/9

And various discussions here: https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... nt=gws-wiz

:heart:
Mike
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

Brus963 wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:41 pm So what do you guys think, is this a fair interpretation of Nagarjuna?
I think "Don't flog a dead horse".
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

I think like with a lot of questions, we can say that there are broadly speaking two kinds of approaches.

1. The partisan approach. "With us or against us?" Confirmation bias. Check quickly if it seems to agree with your pre-existing notions and approve or dismiss accordingly.

2. The thoughtful approach. Start with an open mind and make an earnest attempt to understand what is being conveyed. Treat all your conclusions as being provisional.
_/|\_