In search of passages

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and scriptures.
Vivekananda

In search of passages

Post by Vivekananda »

Greetings,
currently i am looking for two passages from the Canon.

1. Part of the Kandhakas, the story, where the monk wants to life in an outer district and being warned by the Blessed One, each time replies with an more selfless answer, example:

Blessed One, "And when they beat you with a stick?"
The monk answers,"Then i will be glad, that they do not beat me with a spear."

2. Did the Buddha use the stock passage, "...sleep as much as you like, eat as much as you like..." in reference to dealing with sickness, or is this just Ven. Udāyin's idea ?

Sādhu,Sādhu,Sādhu.
nirodh27

Re: In search of passages

Post by nirodh27 »

Hi Vivekananda,
Vivekananda wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:28 am
I think about point 1 it is MN 145, Advice to Punna.
“The people of Sunāparanta are wild and rough, Puṇṇa. If they abuse and insult you, what will you think of them?”

“If they abuse and insult me, I will think: ‘These people of Sunāparanta are gracious, truly gracious, since they don’t hit me with their fists.’ That’s what I’ll think, Blessed One. That’s what I’ll think, Holy One.”

“But if they do hit you with their fists, what will you think of them then?”

“If they hit me with their fists, I’ll think: ‘These people of Sunāparanta are gracious, truly gracious, since they don’t throw stones at me.’ That’s what I’ll think, Blessed One. That’s what I’ll think, Holy One.”

“But if they do throw stones at you, what will you think of them then?”

“If they throw stones at me, I’ll think: ‘These people of Sunāparanta are gracious, truly gracious, since they don’t beat me with a club.’ That’s what I’ll think, Blessed One. That’s what I’ll think, Holy One.”

“But if they do beat you with a club, what will you think of them then?”

“If they beat me with a club, I’ll think: ‘These people of Sunāparanta are gracious, truly gracious, since they don’t stab me with a knife.’ That’s what I’ll think, Blessed One. That’s what I’ll think, Holy One.”

“But if they do stab you with a knife, what will you think of them then?”

“If they stab me with a knife, I’ll think: ‘These people of Sunāparanta are gracious, truly gracious, since they don’t take my life with a sharp knife.’ That’s what I’ll think, Blessed One. That’s what I’ll think, Holy One.”

“But if they do take your life with a sharp knife, what will you think of them then?”

“If they take my life with a sharp knife, I’ll think: ‘There are disciples of the Buddha who looked for someone to assist with slitting their wrists because they were horrified, repelled, and disgusted with the body and with life. And I have found this without looking!’ That’s what I’ll think, Blessed One. That’s what I’ll think, Holy One.”

“Good, good Puṇṇa! Having such self-control and peacefulness, you will be quite capable of living in Sunāparanta. Now, Puṇṇa, go at your convenience.”

And then Puṇṇa welcomed and agreed with the Buddha’s words.
One really asks himself which kind of place Sunāparanta was... :smile:
Vivekananda

Re: In search of passages

Post by Vivekananda »

Ah, that's why i searched without end in the Book of Discipline, because it's not part of it... :D