In your view, understanding, Parinibbana is:

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?

In your view, understanding, Parinibbana is:

not applicable, there is no rebirth, it is annihilation for all
2%
no more becoming, non-existence as we know it but not annihilation since there is no self
38%
existence in a buddha-field / realm
5%
pantheism
5%
citta continues in paranibbana
11%
a subtle existence that is ineffable, inexpressible
17%
don't know or agnostic about it, set-aside for now
22%

Total votes: 187

DNS
Site Admin

Re: In your view, understanding, Parinibbana is:

Post by DNS »

tharpa wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:25 am Wasn't this one of those questions (just reworded) that the Buddha refused to answer?
Yes, one of the unanswered questions.
The Tathagata (a perfectly enlightened being) exists after death.
The Tathagata does not exist after death.
The Tathagata both exists and does not exist after death.
The Tathagata neither exists nor does not exist after death.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_unanswered_questions
But inquiring minds still want to know. :tongue:

Some see the practice as being futile or pointless if it's just to attain cessation, complete cessation. There was one regular member who posted here and said something like "we're wasting our time, we're striving for nothingness." Another pondered if we're nothing but lemmings, heading off the cliff (of existence). :D

For most people, it's probably best to just set it aside for now and see what one discovers with insight.
tharpa

Post by tharpa »

DNS wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:28 pm Some see the practice as being futile or pointless if it's just to attain cessation, complete cessation. There was one regular member who posted here and said something like "we're wasting our time, we're striving for nothingness." Another pondered if we're nothing but lemmings, heading off the cliff (of existence). :D

For most people, it's probably best to just set it aside for now and see what one discovers with insight.
I would agree with that recommendation. "I" tend to lean towards the complete cessation view. Once the inherent unsatisfactoriness/suffering/impermanence/egolessness of samsara is seen, then cessation no longer seems like such a bad deal.

When I read the Tipitika, it seems like the Buddha had two entirely different levels of teachings, and it's not the Hinayana and Mahayana. It was practice for householders and for monks. Monks, the higher level, the Buddha had greater expectations for. He accepted nothing less than striving for nibbana from them. For householders, on the other hand, he seemed to be emphasizing reducing dukkha in this life and the next and increasing happiness in this life and the next. Among Westerners, however, all the laypeople seem to be striving for nibbana, which is good. But it's not a requirement. If a layperson desires rebirth in the deva-loka, that's a perfectly acceptable goal.
May all beings, in or out of the womb, be well, happy and peaceful.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

tharpa wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:54 pm then cessation no longer seems like such a bad deal.
Cessation is not the extreme you think

Everyone naturally thinks in extremes

Buddha does not
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
wenjaforever

Post by wenjaforever »

It's annihilation. Because samsara can't be defeated.
money is worthless toilet paper • the tongue has no bone (a person might say one thing but it cannot be further from the truth) • you cannot teach a goat math as in you cannot teach the dhamma to a dumb person
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

I took it as annihilation.

That got to be depressing.

At some point I found/was told about sutta references where it is stated that it is not annihilation, it can not be described, and it is the ultimate happiness.

So now, I take it as

"I will not understand it as long as I am alive, but it is the ultimate happiness".
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
equilibrium

Post by equilibrium »

wenjaforever wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:28 am It's annihilation. Because samsara can't be defeated.
There is no need to defeat samsara ….. it’s to be transcended …… always has been ….. always will be ….. as per the teachings. ….. hence an escape. ….. therefore cannot be annihilation.

Samsara isn’t real!
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

I couldn't choose any one of the options, because none really describes what I think parinibbana describes.
The best way I am able to describe my view of parinibbana is probably: the final dissolution of a particular set or arrangement or framework of pancakhanda

Though not the pancakhanda themselves, but a particular arrangement... Something along those lines... I guess.

best wishes, acinteyyo
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

According to chapter 11 in the book "The Island" by Ajahn Pasanno and Ajahn Amaro, it's the passing away of someone who has attained Nibbana.

https://amaravati.org/dhamma-books/the-island/

:anjali:
Microdose

Post by Microdose »

I didn’t read the whole thread just the title

We can’t expect to know everything

Somethings we can for practical purpose and it’s good to discus, but mind is so liberated when we give up trying to know everything, are we so powerful that we can be an all knowing being

Emptiness is a blessing

It’s a discovery
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

End of all experience ..
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
User13866

Re: Arahants, Compassion, and Suffering

Post by User13866 »

cappuccino wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:17 pm
User13866 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:07 pm then it's dukkha and nothing else.
nirvana is a state of mind… free of stress
Nibbana is removal of greed, anger & delusion.
This, bhikkhu, is a designation for the element of Nibbāna: the removal of lust, the removal of hatred, the removal of delusion. The destruction of the taints is spoken of in that way.”
https://suttacentral.net/sn45.7/en/bodh ... ight=false
The absense of greed, anger & delusion in the mind of the Aahant is called "Nibbana with remnant fuel/residue".
“What, bhikkhus, is the Nibbāna-element with residue left? Here a bhikkhu is an arahant, one whose taints are destroyed, the holy life fulfilled, who has done what had to be done, laid down the burden, attained the goal, destroyed the fetters of being, completely released through final knowledge. However, his five sense faculties remain unimpaired, by which he still experiences what is agreeable and disagreeable and feels pleasure and pain. It is the extinction of attachment, hate, and delusion in him that is called the Nibbāna-element with residue left.
https://suttacentral.net/iti44/en/irela ... ight=false
If Nibbana was a state of mind of the Arahant, as you have asserted, then this nibbana is impermanent because what is called mind, consciousness or intellect is impermanent and dependently arisen.
Last edited by User13866 on Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

User13866 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:25 pm If Nibbana was a state of mind of the Arahant … then
Unconditioned state, not conditioned (Impermanent)
Coaching
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

User13866 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:32 pm The mind of the Arahant is conditioned.
Nirvana is unconditioned
Coaching
User13866

Post by User13866 »

cappuccino wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:34 pm
User13866 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:32 pm The mind of the Arahant is conditioned.
Nirvana is unconditioned
You keep saying this but you contradict yourself by saying that it is the mindstate of an Arahant.

You can't have it both ways.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

User13866 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:36 pm You can't have it both ways.
Nirvana is the state of mind of an arhat

Nirvana is unconditioned
Coaching