see it originate, see it stay, see it cease without reminder

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
confusedlayman

see it originate, see it stay, see it cease without reminder

Post by confusedlayman »

Friends,

when contemplating origin of feeling (origin of dukka), staying of feeling (staying of dukka) and cessation of feeling (cessation of dukka)...

(in vipasanna, we see it coming, staying and going of feeling, perception etc) how many realized meaning of nibbana can be known in this simple process in this 5 second?

understanding nibbana in 5 second trick?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
befriend

Re: see it originate, see it stay, see it cease without reminder

Post by befriend »

At first when I did this I would be like omg things are impermanent I don't believe it then over years you start knowing impermanence from a direct experience and you see nothing is worth clinging to because it's all rotting then you see not self which is like a little whisper literally it sounds like a soft voice coming from your being that says this is not self. Took me about 14 years to get to feeling the sunshine on my chest and immediately my citta or whatever says it's not mine
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
befriend

Post by befriend »

I'm not enlightened but yes vipassana lets you see the three characteristics more clearly hopefully I can get them imbedded into my heart and I won't have to cling anymore before I die
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

Contemplate the arising of dukkha and how it keeps arising again and again, and the cause for this.

Namely:
When this is, that is.
From the arising of this comes the arising of that.
When this isn't, that isn't.
From the cessation of this comes the cessation of that.
As an example:
"He abused me, he ill-treated me, he got the better of me, he stole my belongings;"... the enmity of those harbouring such thoughts cannot be appeased.

"He abused me, he ill-treated me, he got the better of me, he stole my belongings;"... the enmity of those not harbouring such thoughts can be appeased
According to Jill Bolte Taylor it takes "90 seconds".
“When a person has a reaction to something in their environment,” she says, “there’s a 90-second chemical process that happens in the body; after that, any remaining emotional response is just the person choosing to stay in that emotional loop.”

“Something happens in the external world, and chemicals are flushed through your body which puts it on full alert. For those chemicals to totally flush out of the body, it takes less than 90 seconds. This means that for 90 seconds you can watch the process happening, you can feel it happening, and then you can watch it go away.”

“After that, if you continue to feel fear, anger, and so on, you need to look at the thoughts that you’re thinking that are re-stimulating the circuitry that is resulting in you having this physiological reaction, over and over again.”
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
Nobodyisspecial

Post by Nobodyisspecial »

First you mean remainder not reminder

Second you are talking about dukkha arising and it's cessation. Conditions cause effects! There is no origin of dukkha. There is only cause and effect. You could say kamma causes suffering but I would say dukkha comes from samsara. As long as we are still not attaining nibbana and not attaining the transcendence of samsara we are in the condition of samsara which is a condition of dukkha.

There is no staying. Every microsecond is a birth and death. You are talking about form, feeling, perception, volition, and consciousness. You are talking about their arising and ceasing. The way to nibbana is through the lessons that the jhanas teach. The teachings to get jhana are through right practice. Nibbana teaches us contentment with primordial peace.
xun2x

Post by xun2x »

befriend wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 11:16 pm I'm not enlightened but yes vipassana lets you see the three characteristics more clearly hopefully I can get them imbedded into my heart and I won't have to cling anymore before I die
Thank you for your sharing. I have anxiety and afraid of death. In my daily life, I have to guard my mind, not fall to that thoughts. I'm wondering whether this mind can learn and transform itself from I to not mine. I try to let go every thoughts, but still I can sense that fear still there. Sometimes when I see old person in movie, than thought about death come, so I also prepare when I see, hear something.

Hope you want to share more how you handle that thoughts ?

Thank you
befriend

Post by befriend »

Buddha said not to worry about what you will be in your next existence if you do more good than bad you will be reborn in a happy plane human or heavenly. if you make an intention In the beginning of the day to practice the noble eight fold path then when things arise in daily life like greed anger I'll will hate wrong speech harsh speech I remember the eightfold path. Then apply it to the negative component of my thought. I replace anger with well what is the solution to the problem I'm angry about. And have good tones of voice replacing yelling. If you practice the noble 8 fold path for one day you will be happy at the end of the day. This is enough to make the Dhamma priceless how many people can say I made myself happy today from the inside out with my own thoughts self control. You may have some anxiety issue I have never dealt with fear of death you may want to ask a therapist or Dhamma teacher about that. But when practicing the 8 fold path makes you happy they're is motivation to keep practicing it makes you feel good to be generous and have loving thoughts. Just stick to that. Focus on the good feelings of Dhamma practice then maybe your mind will forget about death and other non essential thoughts.
befriend

Post by befriend »

Brahma viharas are a good way to diminish fear.
pudai

Post by pudai »

That is the realization of tatahatta the nature impermanence. if you breathe into that place of suffering it disbands quicker.
The six senses accommodate; All the factors of existence... The All.
Apart from; The All... Nothing exists.
The senses are empty of a self & what belongs to a self.