Ekattanirataṁ

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Ceisiwr

Ekattanirataṁ

Post by Ceisiwr »

“Cihacihābhinadite,
sippikābhirutehi ca;
Na me taṁ phandati cittaṁ,
ekattanirataṁ hi me”ti.

Even with all the sounds,
the chirping and cheeping of the birds,
my mind doesn’t waver,
for I’m devoted to oneness."

- Thag 1.49

ekattanirataṁ: devoted to (or devotion to) solitariness or unity

What's the best way to understand ekattanirataṁ here? Unity of mind, or solitariness?
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: Ekattanirataṁ

Post by Sam Vara »

Ceisiwr wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:41 pm “Cihacihābhinadite,
sippikābhirutehi ca;
ekattanirataṁ hi me”ti.

my mind doesn’t waver,

- Thag 1.49

What's the best way to understand ekattanirataṁ here? Unity of mind, or solitariness?
Ekatta can either mean alone, or unity in the sense of homogeneity. It's almost impossible to tell here. From the context, I would marginally favour unity of mind, due to the reference to citta in the previous line. I've had a look at the other verses, and there doesn't seem to be an over-arching theme of physical separation and solitude, but he does refer to the chirping of the birds, as opposed to the swishing of brooms and the sounds of a village or monastery. Unless you have a hypothesis to do with Theragatha being about one or the other, I'd personally leave it open; maybe it was even intended to suggest both meanings.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Sam Vara wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:13 pm
Ceisiwr wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:41 pm “Cihacihābhinadite,
sippikābhirutehi ca;
ekattanirataṁ hi me”ti.

my mind doesn’t waver,

- Thag 1.49

Ekatta can either mean alone, or unity in the sense of homogeneity. It's almost impossible to tell here. From the context, I would marginally favour unity of mind, due to the reference to citta in the previous line. I've had a look at the other verses, and there doesn't seem to be an over-arching theme of physical separation and solitude, but he does refer to the chirping of the birds, as opposed to the swishing of brooms and the sounds of a village or monastery. Unless you have a hypothesis to do with Theragatha being about one or the other, I'd personally leave it open; maybe it was even intended to suggest both meanings.
If we take into account MN 137, then it can't be a meditative state
And what is equanimity based on diversity? There is equanimity towards sights, sounds, smells, tastes, and touches. This is equanimity based on diversity.

And what is equanimity based on unity? There is equanimity based on the dimensions of infinite space, infinite consciousness, nothingness, and neither perception nor non-perception. This is equanimity based on unity.
https://suttacentral.net/mn137/en/sujat ... ript=latin

The preferable option would then be "solitude". However, its possible this is using "unity" in a different way. As you say, its hard to tell.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

Non-separation or unity. The merging of self with life.
Or just life doing its thing
"When, Bahiya, for you in the seen is merely what is seen... in the cognized is merely what is cognized, then, Bahiya, you will not be 'with that.' When, Bahiya, you are not 'with that,' then, Bahiya, you will not be 'in that.' When, Bahiya, you are not 'in that,' then, Bahiya, you will be neither here nor beyond nor in between the two. Just this is the end of suffering."
my mind doesn’t waver,
solitariness = Here I am standing apart from the rest
It is not even equanimity towards the rest.

There is no centre.
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

One-pointedness of mind is something that happens as the object of meditation comes into continuous focus. Everything else in the world continues to happen (eg chirping) but one is no longer in the world but rather the world flows by without the usual habitual clinging. Another way to understand it is to view the mind as scattered across time like the Milky Way sprinkled across the sky. As one meditates, gradually the scattered mind let’s go of the past and future and is collected into the present moment as if the stars of the Milky Way are all gathered together into one point.
erasemyself

Post by erasemyself »

Hi there C

Attached is a link that goes into some depth concerning the root word 'eka'. It may be of some assistance to you. The author, one Ven Nananda, offers an excellent exposition of a somewhat mysterious verse called the 'Baddakekaratta Sutta'. It's a particularly inspiring Sutta for those who place a high value on solitude.

Metta
EM

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/aut ... el188.html