Muscle development and resistance training for bhikkhus

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
retrofuturist

Muscle development and resistance training for bhikkhus

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I was speaking to my GP earlier today, and he was talking about the benefits of muscle development and resistance training, particularly as we age, for a long and healthy life.

Later I thought about the dietary and exercise regime for bhikkhus in the Buddha's time, and it seems to comprise of plenty of walking and intermittent fasting. Those practices are excellent for shedding those excess kilos, but not so good on the muscle development front.

To that end, I was wondering what opportunities exist for bhikkhus nowadays to cultivate muscle development, for the sole purpose of a long and healthy life (as distinct from akusala reasons such as vanity)?

:thanks:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Lucas Oliveira

Re: Muscle development and resistance training for bhikkhus

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

STANDING LIKE A TREE, BREATHING LIKE A BUDDHA

http://ajahnsucitto.org/reflections/sta ... -a-buddha/
:anjali:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
santa100

Post by santa100 »

retrofuturist wrote:Later I thought about the dietary and exercise regime for bhikkhus in the Buddha's time, and it seems to comprise of plenty of walking and intermittent fasting. Those practices are excellent for shedding those excess kilos, but not so good on the muscle development front.
Actually distance walking does strenghen lower body muscles group. They wont' bulk up but they do get much stronger, like marathon runners, who have no muscle-hypertrophy, but are still extremely fit and strong.
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

I have seen bhikkhu-made dumbbells, made with a bit of wood from the forest + two water bottles + lots of string. Also those 10 liter water containers work well as kettlebells.
Many monasteries I've visited have some donated dumbbells in a junk/storage room somewhere, which a resident can use.

I do know of one bhikkhu who works out a lot, and to be honest I'm not sure he was doing it for health and not vanity. He did look beautiful and muscular. :shrug: Not my place to judge him though.
Johann

Post by Johann »

Maybe it's under the wrong board, as wellness, fitness... (maybe one fit for moderation in Dhamma can fix that) doesn't fit to proper use of alms and certain no, not even lay follower, walk a metta-full path, brahmacariya, have anything to worry about health and bodily burdens, the opposite.

Yet many don't like to follow good ways and harm themself twice, 1. improper life 2. punishing and increasing unhealthy ways by fitness:

both: mental and physical

Hobby-buddhism is harmful for all.

Those practicing harmlessness, walk, don't use strength and suffering for their ease, get lot of time, are quite healthy, and faster then every aeroplane. Common people don't see, don't understand.

In most cases they then end up, like this former Venerable, as for the sake of fitness just increases the power for gross wrongdoing, intoxication (youth, health, life).

Same the famous dog keeping mountain dweller and philosophers will soon face.

Sila, Uposatha (sense restrain), the path, serves with most possible health without indebting.

Walk!

(it was censured because some feel touched, thinking it can be removed by TOS-use. For really nobodies harm but the opposite.)
mjaviem

Post by mjaviem »

Yes, muscles development is another discipline, not the discipline of the Noble Ones. Resistance is not the training they practice. They train to end birth not to have a long lasting birth.
Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammā Sambuddhassa