Hello - Sawasdekaap - Tashi Delek

Introduce yourself to others at Dhamma Wheel.
Milinda

Hello - Sawasdekaap - Tashi Delek

Post by Milinda »

Hello, how are u? I am from Spain, I was raisen and get involved in Vajrayana enviroments, since my parents in the 90s approchead the Buddhas teaching on Vajrayana perspective, specialy due to tibetans on Catalonia.

So I am very familiar with; Prajnaparamita, the 5 buddhas, Dakkinis, Chod, mantras, Bodhisatvas, Boddhichita, etc... In resume, the Vajrayana way.

Since few months ago, I did not know anything about Theravada, just that they were from Thailand and they wear yellow robes.

But I started to learn Pali, reading Dhammapada, and websites or youtube conferences about it.

And what I found I liked it a lot, specialy the strictness in the belief and in the monk figure and in keep what is said the 'first teaching'.

First of all, I thought that Mahayana-Vajrayana they were very different, but then, well... I saw many, many points in common but with other way of practise.

So I registered here, to learn more about the Theravada way.

Hope all of you are ok!

Om mani padme hom
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Hello - Sawasdekaap - Tashi Delek

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DW!

Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel, Rinpoche. :anjali:
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Om mani padme hom
Perhaps you mean "Om Mani Padme Hung"?

For anyone who is unfamiliar with Vajrayana, It might be worth checking what the word "Rinpoche" means in Tibetan Buddhism. Personally I'm not prepared to use that title to refer to a stranger on the internet. The following is from the "Lion's Roar" website:
Rinpoche is an honorific used for important teachers in the Tibetan tradition. It literally means “Precious Jewel.” When a teacher is called “Rinpoche” it usually means they are a tulku, who has been recognized as the reincarnation of a prominent master. He (and, rarely, she) is trained from childhood in Buddhist study, practice, and ritual, and takes over the responsibilities of the previous incarnation when the training is complete. This is the most common form of succession in the Tibetan Buddhist tradition. Occasionally, exceptional practitioners are given the title Rinpoche later in life to honor their accomplishment (and are often retroactively recognized as tulkus). The honorific Rinpoche is distinct from the title lama, which means “teacher” and is bestowed after the completion of a program of meditation, study, and retreat.

:anjali:
Milinda

Post by Milinda »

Well Rinpoche is a tibetan word.
Its a high lana yes,, but for example Mount Kailash is called in tibetan Gang Rinpoche.
Not just the lama title.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Rinpoche wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:03 am Well Rinpoche is a tibetan word.
Its a high lana yes,, but for example Mount Kailash is called in tibetan Gang Rinpoche.
Not just the lama title.
So what? I was involved with Vajrayana teachings and practices for a long time, and neither I nor other students went around calling ourselves "Rinpoche"!

I suggest you join the Dharma Wheel Mahayana/Vajrayana forum and see what happens if you call yourself "Rinpoche" there.

https://www.dharmawheel.net/index.php

asahi

Post by asahi »

Milinda wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:03 am Well Rinpoche is a tibetan word.
Not just the lama title.
Hi rinpoche , you are right actually the word may refer to a person, place, or thing , it is like the words "gem" or "jewel". In India many people has names like Shiva , Krishna and Dev , not really a big deal . They are those named after Jesus , no one can sue you for that . Om mani padme hom (or hum) is fine , it is foolish if not knowing that is how sometimes intonation can be and not that important . But there always some ignorant people thought they knew everything wanting to teach others , not minding their own practice . Dont worry if you want to keep your username . Just a suggestion . Om ami dewa hrir . 😄
Last edited by asahi on Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
No bashing No gossiping
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

:hello:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”