Who/what do you think the Christian god is?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths - what can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
alicem

Re: Who/what do you think the Christian god is?

Post by alicem »

It seems likely that like the Brahmins of India, that the High Priests of Israel, and later Jesus, worshiped Mahabrahma, believing him to be the supreme lord who created the universe. The ethics of Jesus ("love thy enemies, bless them that curse you") are very much like the Brahmaviharas and could lead to rebirth in the Brahma realm, although this is impermanent and subject to change.
Magdaled

Post by Magdaled »

In my opinion, there is no need to connect the story of Jesus with God.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

alicem wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:13 pm Mahabrahma
Yes, he has real power
Milinda

Post by Milinda »

Yahwe-Allah-Jehova (God inside the Vatican)

The most common name that divinity uses. I think is somekind of ethno-totem God, where one of the three main religions who envolves them make feel their followers as the "chosen one" provoking a very sectarian mindset.

It could be an Ashura, a Demiurge as greeks said or even a Tulpa.

But it shouldnt concern to us.
samsarayoga

Post by samsarayoga »

It's obviously a Brahma
reality is not shaped by your mind, if this was the case there won't exist right view and wrong view to begin with (doh)
befriend

Post by befriend »

God hates the wicked and loves the good. Sounds like Christian God is a different interpretation of kamma vipaka. Jesus is probably a wise devata because I've noticed when Praying to Jesus in the past I don't feel connected to him when I'm being indulgent in the senses I think he has a renunciant attitude about him.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
samsarayoga

Post by samsarayoga »

Milinda wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:13 am Yahwe-Allah-Jehova (God inside the Vatican)

The most common name that divinity uses. I think is somekind of ethno-totem God, where one of the three main religions who envolves them make feel their followers as the "chosen one" provoking a very sectarian mindset.

This is a really ignorant answer. If he was an asura why would he have prophets like Jesus and David?
reality is not shaped by your mind, if this was the case there won't exist right view and wrong view to begin with (doh)
Milinda

Post by Milinda »

samsarayoga wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:46 am
Milinda wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:13 am Yahwe-Allah-Jehova (God inside the Vatican)

This is a really ignorant answer. If he was an asura why would he have prophets like Jesus and David?
It deppens which Jesus

The messianic jewish one
The muslim one
The christian one
The manichean one?

In Islam, Jesus will be somekind of Islamic World Ruler from the post Nuclear World War known as Malhama ملحمة and when he dies he will be buried in Medina beside prophet Muhamamad as a muslim, not as a christian. In fact Jesus according to then will break the cross probing that the cross is a fake symbol.

Jesus is a very sectarian personality. That reflects very well the Sectarian face of "God".

Because the one who follows him just will consider "his Jesus" as the unique truth and the rest just infidels/kuffar.

For that reason as a buddhist we shouldn't care about abrahamic believes and threats.
samsarayoga

Post by samsarayoga »

Milinda wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:37 am
It deppens which Jesus

The messianic jewish one
The muslim one
The christian one
The manichean one?

In Islam, Jesus will be somekind of Islamic World Ruler from the post Nuclear World War known as Malhama ملحمة and when he dies he will be buried in Medina beside prophet Muhamamad as a muslim, not as a christian. In fact Jesus according to then will break the cross probing that the cross is a fake symbol.

Jesus is a very sectarian personality. That reflects very well the Sectarian face of "God".

Because the one who follows him just will consider "his Jesus" as the unique truth and the rest just infidels/kuffar.

For that reason as a buddhist we shouldn't care about abrahamic believes and threats.
I don't quite understand your logic. Do Jews even believe in Jesus? Well Muslims are deluded, they think the sun sets into a mud swamp or something. Although I agree with the Muslim version and Barnabas that Jesus wasn't crucified. One may lie to themself that the train is made of marshmallow but it will never change the fact that it's steel.
Milinda

Post by Milinda »

samsarayoga wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:53 am
Milinda wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:37 am
It deppens which Jesus

The messianic jewish one
The muslim one
The christian one
The manichean one?

I don't quite understand your logic. Do Jews even believe in Jesus? Well Muslims are deluded, they think the sun sets into a mud swamp or something. Although I agree with the Muslim version and Barnabas that Jesus wasn't crucified. One may lie to themself that the train is made of marshmallow but it will never change the fact that it's steel.
I mean we shoudlnt care about abrahamic paths and creeds because they are sectarian by itself.
So the questions about God, Jesus, the christian Jesus, the islamic Jesus, etc, they are pointless for our pourpuses as practisioners of the Dharma.
Kusala

Post by Kusala »

SarathW wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:34 pm
I'm curious as to what other Theravada Buddhists think about the god of Christianity. Does he exist?
This is something like asking what is Nibbana.
You have to follow the Christian or Abrahamic Religion Path to understand God.
Whether Buddhist, non-Buddhist or Athiest we all follow the Eight Fold Path.
Only true Buddhist follow the Noble Eightfold Path to realise Nibbana.
No, you don't have to be a Christian to understand God... Listen to Bhante Anandajoti @5:49 - 7:57 ...

"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Kusala wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:28 am
SarathW wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:34 pm
I'm curious as to what other Theravada Buddhists think about the god of Christianity. Does he exist?
This is something like asking what is Nibbana.
You have to follow the Christian or Abrahamic Religion Path to understand God.
Whether Buddhist, non-Buddhist or Athiest we all follow the Eight Fold Path.
Only true Buddhist follow the Noble Eightfold Path to realise Nibbana.
No, you don't have to be a Christian to understand God... Listen to Bhante Anandajoti @5:49 - 7:57 ...

It's quite possible, of course, that a Christian might say that Ven. Anandajoti has misunderstood the nature of their God.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Who/what do you think the Christian god is?
Mr Blobby.

:anjali:
knotting

Post by knotting »

In the same way that no two human beings are identical, it seems no two conceptions of God are identical.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

knotting wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:13 pm In the same way that no two human beings are identical, it seems no two conceptions of God are identical.
Agree.
My conception of Deva (God??) now is different from what I thought of Deva before I learned 31 planes of existence.
Non of us perhaps see a Deva or a God except for some Deva qualities in humans.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”